Fall Jake

dthome

Reaction score
Well, I figured I’d stir things up a bit since traffic seems a bit slow. Here’s a young Jake I took home from a couple days ago. It took me 12 hours to get this guy. I knew where the birds were roosting, and set up before dawn, but they all flew in the exact opposite direction from where I was expecting. After they left the roost, they entered private land, and I had to wait until nearly sunset when they returned to roost. I shot him 2 minutes before the end of shoot time.

8AD468C1-34C7-4284-B49B-861973293E03.jpeg

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Super congrats dt, great looking bird. Wtg cutting them off to their roost, maybe u missed them leaving but u sure got them coming back after the long Day of waiting and great timing. Thnx for sharing!.......tra

dthome

Reaction score
Are you sure that is a jake?
No, actually, I'm not. My conclusion was based on the beard stub and facial caruncles. My guess was that the tail hadn't moulted yet. But I could be wrong!

Fubar

Reaction score
Doesn't really matter in the Fall. It should be great table fare. I just thought it might be a hen because of the full tail feathers and the feathers appear to go quite a ways up the back of the neck like a hen. I have seen quite a few hens with beards. Congrats either way. Did you get it in San Diego or more North?

dthome

Reaction score
All valid points. This was north of San Diego.

Top Bottom