False triggers/Humidity

Lew

Reaction score
I have built a new digital trail camera (D370) and I get a lot of false pictures with no animal.  After taking my unit apart and checking all the components, what I found was if I take the shutter leads and put them between my fingers without the wires touching and the camera would fire.  The same thing happens in the field when the camera is attached to the circuit board.  There is enough current leak to fire the shutter.  Obviously the camera is very sensitivity and to much so for general trail camera use but are there any ideas for reducing the camera sensitivity, like using a smaller gage wire to feed the shutter or putting in a resistor ??.  Thanks.  Lew

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Lew,
What are you using to close the shutter?? - relays? optos?

Maybe a ~10k to 100k+ resisitor in series with whatever you're using to 'close' the shutter.

I know damp skin can have a relatively low resistance over short lengths - but it still seems too high to trigger the cam.  Double check the wiring inside the cam to make sure there is no potentially conductive 'crud' between any traces / contacts.  Clean up any junk and also check the factory wiring near the shutter botton area.
Also check your controller circuit board for any cleanup that might be needed.
Certain kinds of flux can leave a residue that attracts moisture and will become somewhat conductive at high humidity (a real problem in some sensitive oscillator circuits)

Good Luck!,
Archilochus

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Lew,
Another thing that might come into play is the type and length of your wires. I use a 3 conductor shielded wire on mine and noticed that if my wire lenght was too long the shutter would fire during the refresh pulse. Believe me I almost went nuts trying to figure out how the shutter was firing.
I dont know if this will pertain to you or not but I thought I would throw it out there.

Lew

Reaction score
Archilochus,  I am using a circuit board that uses an IC with the number IC3-DG442.  I will take the camera back apart and see if anything looks suspicious.  Also, I want to try the resistor in the hookup wire to see if that makes any difference.  I am guessing that when the humidity is lower, the problem probably goes away but I would like the camera to work all the time.
shrtcirkt, Thanks for the tip.   Lew

davered1

Reaction score
Lew,

I am using 6 inch wires out of a old printer cable, and a phone plug/jack.I have had camera out for around 3-4 weeks.it has been 90 begrees+ here this week. I have yet to get a false picture , I have had lots of gophers though!!

Think maybe it has more to do with the humidity? WE are pretty dry here most of the year.

Dave

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
That or you may have done the same stupid thing I did first, and have the refresh and shutter wired backwards to the opto. The 370 WILL SHOOT WITH JUST THE SHUTTER AND COMMON TRIPPED.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom