Falsely Accused!!!!!

tomturkey

Reaction score
 posted April 27, 2002 01:14 AM                        
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I posted the story of my 5th turkey on Tuesday and I appreciate all the congrats from everyone. But there was more to the saga of 'Ol Joe that I left out until I could calm down enough to put it into words that would be acceptable for a PG rated site!!  Now the rest of the story.
After I took the "turkey of my dreams" I was a happy camper to say the least. But on my way to the check station, I met 2 other guys in a pickup & they slowed way down & I noticed them trying to look into the bed of my truck. After they passed,I checked my mirror & saw them do a u-turn. They followed me the 2 miles to the check station & pulled in right behind me. As I was weighing him & taking measurements, the driver of the truck walks up & asks me if I was hunting on (name omitted)'s property. I figured that he must be who I heard shoot just before my bird came in. I said, nope, I was hunting on (name also omitted)'s place. "Humph" he says. When I finished weighing the bird & was getting ready to photograph him I noticed him bending down to look under my tailgate & reading my tag. "You got a problem Bud?" I asked. "Yes, You shot that bird on my property" was the reply. I told the guy I definately did not, but he insisted that the shot was on his side of the line. After a minute or 2 of "no I didn't .... Yes you did", I told him that if he thought I had poached on his property, by all means call the game warden & let him do his job. Well, what I didn't know was that this guy plays golf with our local warden on a regular basis, but knowing I had done nothing wrong, I wasn't worried. I even offered to take him & show the feathers to him and the game warden but he refused, because he was 'sure' he knew where I was. I had to go inside to get my transport tag while he was trying to call the warden & when I finished & went back out I offered again to show him the evidence & again he refused but informed me that the warden was going to contact me & I could settle it with him. I waited until 10:00 PM
for the phone to ring & decided to call the warden at home. I told him that I understood he had recieved a complaint and I wanted to get it straightened out ASAP. He told me that as far as he's concerned, it was already settled because the fellow admitted he hadn't seen me on his place but that he was sure I was there. The warden informed him that if he didn't see me, there was nothing he could do. I told him that he for sure didn't see me because I wasn't there. I don't know if he really believed me but he told me that the boy was now mad at him because he wouldn't do anything.

Two nights later, I got a call from the landowner whom I was hunting on saying that the boy's Dad had contacted him to find out if I had permission to be on his property. He told him I did and then the guy said his son had told him that I was at least 1/4 mile over the line! I told him where I was & he said he believed me & that he was satisfied.

I don't know what made this young man think I was poaching or why he felt compelled to make these accusations at a public place of business, but I feel that my reputation as an ethical hunter has been tarnished and I am mad as hell about it. Maybe this turkey had whipped his butt a few times too and he was just upset that I killed him, or maybe he really did hear someone on his prpoerty trying to call a bird, but the bottom line here is that I was at least 60 yards from his line and the bird came in from behind me. I was facing the posted signs & could see them clearly on the next hill over. I will not set up within range of another property, but as I pay for the right to hunt this place, I have every right to shoot any legal turkey on it.

What do Y'all think???

tomturkey  

MBullism

Reaction score
I think the whole thing stinks... Sounds like sour grapes.  The most important thing to me would be my current and future relationship with the landowner that gave permission in the first place.  If he's satisfied your in the right, ignore this blowhard.  Does this "young man" (who seems to have a propensity to act like a child) have a local rep as a loudmouth or self proclaimed "tough guy"?  If he feels he's got something to prove, now that his buddy the warden blew him off (in his mind), then you may be in for so more bad press...

Sounds to me like you did it right, took and awesome bird, and lived to tell the "Tail".  Too bad your memory of it is clouded by this foolishness.

Congrats again...

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Dont see a problem myself,actually I say that if you feel like useing one of those fence posts for a back rest when hunting that would be just fine also.
 I was stopped on a road watching a Tom strutting on a hill on Conservation land,the landowner that owned the land on the opposite side stopped and informed me he didnt allow hunting,I told him i was watching the bird over there and he agian told me he didnt allow hunting,Getting mad now i informed him i didnt care what he allowed that that bird was on Conservation land open to the public and if he didnt skiddatle i was going to turn him in for hunter herassment,off he went.
 I have little patients for landowners who think they own land on both sides of thier fences.

What his problem was is that you May have or may not have called a bird off his property and he is being selfish,chances are that he dont get along with the guy who owns the land you were hunting,and an even bigger chance is that HE tresspasses on this owners land and feels that it is his,if you are there hunting you may catch him tresspassing and he wouldnt want that.He had no basis for his accusation without seeing first hand,and he was not interested in seeing the feathers where you shot the bird,witch tells me he knew you were not tresspassing in the first place,anyone hearing you offer this to him and him turn it down will not beleive him anyhow.

(Edited by Passthru at 3:57 am on April 27, 2002)

shaginator

Reaction score
Sounds like jealousy or somesuch to me. Must have been a great lookin turkey.

Some (not all) landowners like to intimidate nearby visitors even outside their property as those few bad apples seem to want the land beyond their fences for themselves too.

Other times, it has to do with a few bad apples who are hunters who have no regard for the land, public or private and that spooks landowners when anybody else comes nearby.

But in this case, you had a plain and simple run-in with a class-1 a-hole.

(Edited by shaginator at 8:04 am on April 27, 2002)

hclaus

Reaction score
i think you handled it the best way posible.

I dont believe in stirring accusations up, especially false ones.

They are a load of crap at best, and as you know if you stir a pile of crap up, it tends to stink even more.

Just let the guy keep lying and he will tell on himself.

thanks,
Hunter Claus

Arrowhead

Reaction score
I agree with the above post's.

Sounds like this guy has issue's of his own and doesn't know how to deal with them.

Also sounds like his daddy didn't teach him much.

I think you handled it well.

Good Luck.

woodsman

Reaction score
I think you did the right thing ,I dont think that I would have been able to keep my cool after you had offerd to show him the feathers multiple times .Job well done  .

Rattler

Reaction score
 Sounds like he THINKS you got a big tom he had staked out. Ol' Tom (Joe) doesn't know anything about property lines. What he oughta do is hunt his spot and see if HIS bird is still there.  Could be you shot the same bird he was after( Legally on your friend's property), but maybe not.  One things for sure...Joe is dead.
  I hate stuff like that.  Takes a little of the shine off it, even though you did right.
 Don't sweat it.

killinturks

Reaction score
Too bad a skunk had to stink up your hunt. Thres a lot of jerks out there and there seems to be a lot of them show their colors during hunting season. They think that the best birds and bucks belong to them when in all actuality they aint bagged until their
tagged. We had a big double drop horn buck around my dads farm years ago. The local pompos a_ _ wanted him bad and couldnt close the deal so when an outtatown guy what owned 5 acres shot him during gun season he gets mad and tresspasses and cut down the guys treestand.Incidently he happens to be a big shot in the local sportsmans club. Doesnt make sense to me. Congrats

tomturkey

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for all the kind words of support & advice. It's so nice to have friends like you guys to vent my frustrations. Just to clarify a couple of points, the fellow had already been to the check station and checked in a nice gobbler before I got there. He asked the proprietor then who had checked in birds that afternoon so he was obviously already convinced that someone had shot on his property before seeing my bird. But as I tried to explain to him, sound direction is very confusing on the river and I can understand his being mistaken by it. He was just insistent that he was NOT mistaken and that he KNEW where I was. I actually kinda wish he had claimed to have seen me as that would have forced the warden to investigate. Then I could have proved him wrong and gotten it cleared up. But because he didn't, it comes down to my word against his. And I know that my friends & associates will believe me, but there will be others who will only hear his side of the story. That's what makes it so frustrating. Thanks again!

tomturkey ;)

MBullism

Reaction score
Your word against his?  His what?  Doesn't sound like this guy is worth the paper he's printed on!

Success in the future...

flahunter

Reaction score
Sounds like to me the other guy was just another dumb jealous redneck dipstick! I have a lease in Georgia of about 137 ac that only me and my father hunt and the land surrounding it is owned by this jackass that thinks he owns all of the deer and not only does he not hunt it but he also does not like us hunting " his Deer" ! I had a ladder stand about 10 yards from the property line facing my property and he came to my camp giving me all kind of hell about it. the best thing to do is be  as nice as you can be and don't lower yourself to there kind. you did the right thing!

Possum

Reaction score
What a State (SC) we live in.  With all the birds we had this year and people want to act like this.  You did the right thing.  Be calm and diffuse the situation.  Sorry you had to go through all that.  I had a piece of property that every time I would turkey hunt it the landowner next to me would drive down the road...stop....look...and run all the birds out of the field.  Eventually he quit doing it.  Staying with the game plan is the name of the game - with the turkeys and the other landowners.  Congratulations on a good season.

Tominator

Reaction score
Congrats on getting him TT. Don't let those yahoos tarnish a great memory, you know the truth and that's what matters! nice bird.
Tominator

mudhen

Reaction score
Solid ditto on the jealous little punk theory.  Some guys just can't handle the success of others.  I shot a bird a few years back that was 6 feet over the border on the public land I was hunting.  60 yards, 6 feet, or 6 inches - it doesn't matter as long as you are on property you have permission to be on.

mudhen-CA

Wild Turk

Reaction score
It's been said, but you did the right thing.  Dont worry, as long as the landowner you leased hunting rights from isnt concerned.  If YOU know you are an ethical hunter, who cares what this idiot thinks.

I too have been falsely accused of trespassing, and it is not a good feeling.  It will probably happen to all  of us at least once.

db 183

Reaction score
I am glad to hear that the Warden was also acting ethically when he applied the law fairly despite the fact that he is friends with the accuser.

I was worried this was going to turn into a story about a warden who wouldn't listen because of his friendship with the accuser. I am glad to hear he acted professionally.

ranchwife

Reaction score
My only suggestion would be to document everything that happened in case there is problems in the future.  Maybe print out your story you posted here.  Be sure to record dates and approximate times, and locations.

I'm also glad that so far things turned out okay.

Top Bottom