Falsies

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
I know there has been a bunch of posts about this but I wanted to explain the precautions that I've taken and still get quite a few false pics and see if you have other suggestions.

On my last roll I got ~4 falsies from the same location where I have seldom gotten them in the past. Since everything is well trimmed around there, it hasn't been windy, and it hasn't been hot and humid, I suspected weak PIR batteries was the culprit. The batteries(4 "C&quot were only ~2 months old but I put new ones in anyway.

I set the cam out in a new location overlooking a clearing. I trimmed the hell out of the weeds as they were the only thing in the area that I was concerned may become an issue. Immediately beyond this clearing was a small hill with tall trees on the other side. I just got the roll developed yesterday and about half of the pics were false.

Considering the precautions that I took(new batteries, major trimming) and the weather conditions(NOT windy, NOT overly hot - low 80's max, NOT humid), I'm at a loss at what could be causing the high amount of false pics. The ONLY other reason that I can recall reading on the forum that MAY explain the problem is which direction I have the cam facing. It's facing East or South East and there's definitly shadows from the tree's on the small hill in the background at certain times of the day. From the times that I can make out on the pics(some are too bright and I can't make out the times), it seems like most occur around 9-10am then again later in the afternoon. Now I gotta admit, I really don't pay attention to which direction the cam is facing when I set them up but I'm starting to wonder if that's my downfall....

I'll include a pic just to give you an idea of the spot that I'm talking about. Thanks for any advice or suggestions! The pic shows the sun in the west and you see shadows from the trees behind the cam but it's pretty much the same in the morning with the shadows from the trees that's on the other side of the little hill in the background.

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Ca...20Fawns%202.jpg

From Tinhorn
Please click above to see pix.....

CFB, I made this a Link because your pix was a little too large, if you can, resize it to 700 pixels wide or less, see the "how to post pix's" above for more info on this.
I hope you take the intrusion lightly, We (the mods and admin's) are trying to cut down on the bandwidth caused by large pictures. Thanx

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi CFB,
That's a typical example of the "sun-warmed-spot-with-shadows" falsie.  I could show you dozens just like it!  Try to point the cam away from clearings that will be open to direct, bright sunlight - particularly if the area also has heavy shadows.

<<<<EDIT>>>>

Hey... just noticed there's deer in that pic!! That's what I get for having my contrast / brightness set SOOO low on my monitor!! DUHHHH - wonder if the deer set it off, or if it just happened to be there when the cam went off??  Either way, still a bad spot with the heavy contrast between dark / bright areas.

<<<<END EDIT>>>>

(Edited by Archilochus at 7:33 am on Aug. 22, 2002)

shadow

Reaction score
I bet the cam is facing the sun and allowing just enough heat in thru the PIR filter to send false signals to the camera.  Any thoughts on this????  When you cleared out you may have cleared to much.  Try turning the cam in a different direction or mounting on the other side of the clearing in the "shade" constantly if possible.

davered1

Reaction score
Hey bob, I wish my falsies had that many Deer in them!!:laser-shoot:

Your camera should always face as NORTH as possible, this will eliminate most false pics.Also putting your cam in a little shade at the hot part of the day helps to. you will still probably get some falsies as some are from birds etc...

woodseye

Reaction score
I had troubles with this until I started facing North as Davered said.Cedar and spruce bows and ferns are a pain but I hate to cut too much as it puts the bucks off sometimes.Maybe if you cut and waited a couple weeks to cam.I'm usually traveling thru the woods when I see a spot so I try to avoid above vegatation and face North in the shade.Your still going to get them during hot weather some.

woods

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
Yeah these two fawns hung around that spot for a while and I got 9 pics of them! I just used this pic to show you the exact spot where I was getting all the false pics, so you could see the set up. I didn't scan any of the falsies themselves.

I thought the shadows and cam direction may very well be the cause of the my problem. Now I'm even more confident by the sounds of your experiences! And to think how I cussed those batteries out for no reason... :clean-ears::bag-on-head::devil-horns:

Part of them could be from birds Dave. It's thick on both sides of the trail and that strip would be the perfect place for the birds to travel.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion I need to carry a compass with me. I wish I had $.5 for every false I've had from STUPID setups and the sun. Pavlo never met me, and I hate his dog.

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
That's what I may have to start doing myself HH. The problem with that though is it seems like most of the trails run North and South where I want to set the cam up. I'm almost forced to set the cam up facing East or West to catch deer that are passing by.

Strange that I didn't seem bothered as much by false pics earlier in the spring or summer as I have been in the past month or so and it was much more hot and humid then. Could be due to the position or intensity of the sun this time of year?

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
If you research it some, you will find that the sun hitts at different angles at different times of the year based on the earths tilt about its axis. This may not be the cause, but it is a possibility. An area that is sheilded some at a particular angle in say May, might have little or no sheilding at that angle in August.

woodseye

Reaction score
Funny how you take things for granted,scouting and hunting in Maine i wear a compass year round. You don't want to walk the wrong way some places up here as it can be a lllllllllong walk.I just realized that not everyone has a compass on when setting up their cam.DUH

woods

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom