Family of Utah boy killed by bear sues state, feds

m57jager

Reaction score
It's a huge tragedy. As a father I can't imagine anything worse. That is why when we go hiking in the woods with the children, momma and I are always strapped. Unfortunately, these incidents are some of the harshest realities of what can happen. As americans I think a lot of people have a false sense of security about lifes tragedies in general. If they had to close campgrounds everytime a bear came through I don't think campgrounds in Yosemite and Sequoia would be open that often. All the more reason why hunting lions should be opened up again. Can't regulate some and not others and expect homeostasis to remain. It's very sad and my heart goes out to them.

greg vs

Reaction score
"We took risks, we knew we took them; things have come out against us, and therefore we have no cause for complaint, but bow to the will of Providence, determined still to do our best to the last .... Had we lived, I should have had a tale to tell of the hardihood, endurance, and courage of my companions which would have stirred the heart of every Englishman. These rough notes and our dead bodies must tell the tale......"

Last entry from the journal of Robert F Scott, Antarctica, March 29-30, 1912.

Common Sense

Reaction score
The government cannot protect all the people all the time. I feel sorry for the family, but to expect government to always protect you from all evil is just foolish.

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
While I feel bad for the family, and hope to never know the same pain they are going through, but bottom line is they were in the woods. There are bears in the woods. You have to be aware of wild animals in the woods. I could see where if this happened in the middle of a major city, but this was in the woods. And why were they there? To spend time with the family in nature. Well there are bears and mountian lions in nature. That is something that all of us accept as a risk when we go camping, hunting , fishing, etc.. I hope this lawsuit is dismissed. What is next??? Where does it stop? I am so sick and tired of people not taking responsablity for their actions, instead they blame others. Sometimes you are to blame. One could make the aguement for child endangerment. They left their child unsupervised in a wooded area known to have bears. Should the family be thrown in jail? NO! Bottom line is this was a terrible accident, and if anyone is to blame it is the parents. They took the child there. I don't mean to sound insensative, but enough is enough already!

barel74

Reaction score
I agree cold1. They knew they were in bear country. It's a terrible thing, but does'nt mean they should get paid.

Top Bottom