fat lady sings at Choppers

wyemjohnson

Reaction score
Many jinx's were removed this weekend up at Chopper's on my last hunt at his ranch!

I will tell my story after dinner and give you all praises for helping me achieve this milestone, first archery wild hog!

Here is a teaser!

SAVAGE1

Reaction score
Congrats, It's about time some blood was spilled there.

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
does that scale read 215 or im i miss reading it?
if that is headless skinned out carcass,im eating crow!
strong work either way bro,way to get some

wyemjohnson

Reaction score
Well I'm back and on with this Wild Hog Adventure!

First off I have to give kudo's to Chopper and his family and operation for
so many years of service to the bow hunting community.
It will be missed by all of us. He went all out
this weekend trying to get us on hogs and get the skunk off and things looking better for the rest of his hunts
this year.

For me, being a non-resident, archery hunting for hogs is just a great way to get thru the long WY winter and hone your
hunting skills till next September when we all want to be in the woods chasing elk and deer. I've been reading this board for
2 years and this is the best board for learning how to hunt this animal and you all have been so helpful and encouraging. I feel I would
not have harvested one with a bow without the knowledge I have learned here.

On with the story, right. We started Thursday afternoon with 4 hunters, and 2 more came on Friday, 2 no-shows due to being sick.
Two of us had been on the ranch before. I took one of the new-bie's with me, Mike D. We hunted the east end of the ranch. Found scattered sign
and I glassed up a sow with 2 brown footballs across a deep canyon on the east boundary, too far for me to give chase and then it was off-limits anyway with the little ones. No one else saw any hogs Thursday. So seeing some hogs was an improvement!!!

Friday morning Mike and I get up early before anyone and before Chopper comes by. SO I say, we need to do what wt-pops did a few weeks ago and get up on the ridge before Chopper gives his wake up call and scares the pigs up to us. We get up on the ridge, then we see Chopper waking up the other guys and we wait, wait. Nothing coming, lights comes. We walk further down the ridge to the corner of the fence, and here comes a big boar (150-200#s) with teeth showing. We freeze, Mike is caught out in the open, while I am able to duck behind a tree and get an arrow nocked and rangefinder ready. The boar keeps coming from the neighbors property, he hits the fence and tries to go under, but he his too big. He backs up and moves down the fence (away from us) until he finds an opening and then turns back and is quartering toward me. I have moved down closer to him while Mike is 10 yards to my right. Wind is starting to go down the ridge!
The boar keeps coming and I range him at 35 yards, and start to draw. At this moment, he stops looks forward and then turns around and is off. He had smelled Mike and our chance was over almost as fast as it materialized. Wow that was close!

Friday evening I try the tree stand down below the triple nipple spot, I wanted to try someplace new and also close to the property line. Chopper had seen some new sign in that area earlier in the week. With about 1 minute of legal shooting light left I hear the chit, chit of an approaching hog in the rapidly fading light. I see a big black hog coming down the trail on a fast walk. Looks to be a sow, and I have one opening to shoot thru at about 20 yards. I draw and try to see my pins and make a quick guess and let her go, and instead of hearing that thack, I hear the arrow smacking dirt and oak leaves. I clean miss at her feet and she is off down the trail. Another close almost!
2 days of hunting and I've seen hogs each day and had those close encounters we all want. One other small hog was seen by Chopper driving Friday nite.

Saturday morning Mike and I get up early again. We get up on the ridge. This time he stays high and I go down to the bottom of poison oak hill.
I find all kinds of fresh sign but no hogs. Mike is up on top in the same place in the gray light and spots 2 black spots coming his way from the neighbors, thru the fence and 30 yards from him and down off the ridge to the west. Too far and too dark for a shot with a stick bow. But a pattern is emerging. Saturday evening I work the east end again for no avail. One other hunter has a hog come by him at 25 yards but was too dark to shoot. During the day several hunters were shooting squirrels and notice some fresh sign on a road down by the reservoir with no water.

For Sunday, we get up early again. Mike takes another hunter with him up high on the ridge. I go low, do a quick check of poison oak hill and then rush over to the property line by the reservoir and start working the fence line into the woods and poison oak. Within 200 yards I start seeing pig trails and holes in the fence, and then some fresh sign and then when I'm trying to get thru a poison oak bush and making too much noise I hear a snort, grunt. I look up and there is a medium-small boar facing away from me at 30 yards and across the fence in the neighbors property already. It huffs a few times and works his way into the poison oak forest. I circle back a bit then head back up the fence line. Not 10 more paces I catch movement to my right this time and see a black shape in the underbrush, maybe 50-60 yards away. I kneel down get an arrow nocked and get ready. I see a pig trail going by me and heading under the fence. The hog turns around and starts working its way to the trail and back towards me. I come to full draw and wait, wait, wait, finally it gets up to me and steps out at 14 yards. I let the Wac'em tipped arrow go and it hits home mid-level on the hog and it squeals and rolls over down the hill trying to get to its feet, but it can't get up. A spinal shot it is, and luck is on my side this time as it can;t get across to the neighbors and I go take care business. Turns out it is a big sow, very much pregnant.

I get her dressed out and give Chopper a call and he comes and is astounded at her size. Big shoulders, 2 inch of fat everywhere, in real good shape. We struggle to get her in the truck. She weighs 220 on the scale and our conservative guess is at 280 live weight.

No one else had any luck Sunday, I saw 7 hogs, Mike saw 3, and Mark 1 for the trip. For those hunters heading out to Choppers this season I would try hunting the perimeter of the ranch and anywhere you find fresh sign. They are there, you just have to look for some patterns and get out there. Maybe lady luck will be with you too!

Thanks Chopper for another Wild Hog Adventure. Enjoy your new found free time!

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
Nice...very nice!
Congrats on your first stick and string hog...she's a dandy

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
give me the salt and pepper!! that thing is a tank!! congrats on the harvest,and enjoy the puerco
back in wyoming

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
That Poison Oak is sure looking healthy and happy. I can't wait.. I'm bringing a vat of Tecnu.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
very exciting Wyemjohnson! congrats on the bowkill! 4 1/2 more weeks before our exciting hunt at Choppers! how was the turkey action looking?
congrats agian....................tra

bodega

Reaction score
Aaaaalright! Congrats Wyemjohnson! That sow is a tank. Great way to break the drought up there.

I'll be heading off to Chopper's in a few days and I'm about to pop out of my skin with excitement. If you have any advice for a newbie that has never been there I'd greatly appreciate it.

hogsarunnin

Reaction score
Congrats what a great story and a fine bowkill!! That is one very Healthy sow.

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
Great job with the pig on a stick! Great story of the weekend hunt.

sancho

Reaction score
ARRGGAH! my work computer wont let me see the photo!

anyways, congrats. your adventure sounded great! you got many chances!!! just nocking an arrow multiple times would have been worth the cost of admission. so you got a pregnant sow. was it freaky to gut? sorry for the morbid curiosity? you technically got 11 pigs right? hehehe.

congrats, i cant wait to get home to see the pics.

One Track

Reaction score
Now that's how you get the job done. Monster hog with a bow. Congrats! Sounds like you did everything right! I'll be there Thursday for the first time. Can't wait.

Hey, did you see any turkeys?

wyemjohnson

Reaction score
turkeys were heard and seen by all. A few hunters setup blinds and tried calling them in to no avail. The tom's just wouldn't come in. As for tips, listen to Chopper, hunt the property lines, they come over during the nite and go back in the morning, be in a spot with fresh sign very early and stay late. Good Luck!

kelly106

Reaction score
Congrats Eric big difference a month makes eh, nice sow,way to get it done!

Kentuck

Reaction score
Way to get it done. Sure beats sitting at home thinking about it! Congrats!

Top Bottom