Favorite Calls

DaRabbit

Reaction score
What are the popular calls out there???

My favorite would have to be Haydels DR-85. It sounds great and its really cheap!

DblCluckr1

Reaction score
Ducks: meat/hunting-Tim grounds sweet meet,competition-RNT MVP. Geese: honkers/hunting-Bill saunders Traffic.Competition-Grounds Super Mag (any of them) w/ a broken in set of guts.Specks- Sean Mann White front (dont be cheap) buy acrylic or cocobola and acrylic. Snows-whatever works that day.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
DaRabbit,

Like ole Phil Robertson said, "there are duck callers and there are duck killers". I'm a duck killer and I use a DR85. Still one of the duckiest sounding calls going and still under 20 bucks. We gave away Buck Garner double reeds at the CWA banquet, and they sound darn ducky too.......

I use 3 different honker calls, Tim Grounds Super mag, Foiles Migrator, and a Knight & Hale Magnum Clucker. I've shot just as many honkers over the "cheapy" Magnum Clucker as the more expensive others. Primos Shaved reed Speck call for specks. Sean Mann's White-out for snows.

Rabbit, go to Bass Pro, you can try alot of the calls there.

DaRabbit

Reaction score
Ilovesprig-

Yeah i would say i am a duck killer. My dad and i love the DR85. We call it the "crack-pipe"

DblCluckr1

Reaction score
You cant beat the cost for the sound of a haydel. Same goes for there S-81 Speck call $9.99 and pure speck. Just remember, dont judge a person buy their lanyard.

reno17

Reaction score
I to use a DR85 in the cocoacryllic. Also a Paul Kenyon double, and a custom cutdown wingsetter wistle.

easymoney

Reaction score
I love collecting calls and will use what works for the area I'm hunting.
For mallards, I start with a timber call like RNT, Yentzen or Primos double reeds, then go to a Lares single reed for open water. The specks let me know what they want, duck commander or chein caille both sound specky. Honkers love a double cluck or Primos Honky tonk. And of course I never leave home without my 5 way whistle.

quack_head

Reaction score
Primos wench, and whistle. You do not want me calling geese.
I'll send them back to where they came from. I have not hunted geese. So, no reason for me to learn to call yet.

COHunter

Reaction score
Which ever one Mike Miller is blowing on when we go hunting together

Sometimes you just have to accept that other folks can get the job done better than you can

d trees

Reaction score
Gaston straight barrel acrylic for ducks its the most forgiving

Snows im still looking and learning right now im using the whiteout but thinking about try a new call this year http://redbonecalls.com/home.html so watchout juvies.

Specks I have been using a JJ lares spec with good results.

Whistlers and peepers and old Murillo cant be beat ,d

mouthcallinmatt1

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (quack_head @ Aug 13 2007, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have not hunted geese. So, no reason for me to learn to call yet.[/b]
That's plenty of reason to learn. Don't wait until you start hunting them. Start now to learn how to USE the call, then when you have a chance to hunt them you can learn how to CALL them.

That's the problem with a lot of guys is they don't learn how to use the call before they start hunting with it. I've seen a lot of bad callers shoot birds and because they've killed a few birds they don't think they need to improve their calling. Good calling won't guarantee that you'll get birds to work your decoys but it greatly improves your chances over the guy next to you who sounds like crap. Anyone can be on the X and shoot birds with poor calling. It's when we can't get on the X that you need to sound more persuasive to get them to come where they may not want to go.

I keep going back to my DR-85 too for ducks but I recently blew a Bob Hayes double reed that I really liked. He also makes a nice short reed goose call that I now have on my lanyard. It is really easy blowing and I think it will be a great call for in close.

Snows: An older white out express is my first choice but I've been playing around with a new Basin White Devil and I'm starting to like it too.

Specks: I'm also trying a Basin Ricer and like it too.

One thing to consider when choosing a call is finding one that works with your calling style. I don't believe they are a one-type-fits-all when it comes to calls

farhod

Reaction score
For ducks i have the DR-85 on my lanyard as well, very ducky call and works great, then i have the wingsetter whistle.. For honks my dad has a few unnamed calls that he got from a guy named Phil Simms who he had hunted with years back when he was doing guide services. For snows my dad used to use the numara that phil tuned for him but when we moved from palm springs to irvine only the barell of the numara made it back lol..I myself use the sean mann whiteout express....mouthcallinmatt is right about calling snows, i usually try not to call a lot because if you hunt wister you know that if theres a single goose there will be 10 other guys around you calling but sometimes ill hit them with a few notes just to get them to turn and usually thats all it takes as long as you have a nice spread.

New calls im going to add though are the Foiles Dead meat mallard, Foiles Strait Meat Honker, and maybe the Tundra Saver

zenhunter

Reaction score
My favorite call is "hey Neil, I got a number 1 at Kern, wanna go?"

Rudso

Reaction score
I haven't tried many calls yet but so far my favorite is the Duck Picker by Duck Commander. I'll give the DR-85 a try when I see one.

fhtfyr

Reaction score
Wards double reed cocobola and Acme Thunder sprig whistle love the whistle!!

SoCalpatos

Reaction score
fav duck call: duck commander ole' raspy

goose call: tim grounds canada hammer 2

Hendy64

Reaction score
i personally love the Primos P.H.A.T Lady call even thought its a little bit xpensive it works like a charm

Top Bottom