favorite light weight .270 or 7mm-08 rifles/

leftyhunter

Reaction score
I have a nice savage in .270 but I am thinking of trading it in for a lighter weight rifle. Perhaps there are options is replacing the wood furniture with a high quality light weight plastic furniture. I saw a thread on a Tikka Lite and Tikka seems to be a very well liked brand but its good to keep all options in mind.

Thanks;
Leftyhunter

Last edited:

hunterintn

Reaction score
I have a nice savage in .270 but I am thinking of trading it in for a lighter weight rifle. Perhaps there are options is replacing the wood furniture with a high quality light weight plastic furniture. I saw a thread on a Tikka Lite and Tikka seems to be a very well liked brand but its good to keep all options in mind.

Thanks;
Leftyhunter
I recently sighted in a Tikka .270 T3 light/SS/Syn for a good buddy. Very lightweight, very nice trigger and shot 1" groups with limited ammo selection and still not fully "broken in". Pretty nice rifle. Personally, I prefer the Tikka to the Savage platform.

weekender21

Reaction score
If the recoil of the .270 doesn't bother you, I would stick with that caliber. There are plenty of light weight rifles in that caliber.

CaliJeephuntr

Reaction score
I shoot a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Classic in .270 and absolutely love the gun. It's light, so when you go hiking around you don't feel like you're lugging some piece of log around. I don't remember the exact weight, but it's light. It does have some kick to it when just shooting at the range, but... when you shoot at a buck or pig you don't feel a thing. And the best thing I like about it is it being a Winchester Model 70, it has that 3-stage safety.

larrysogla

Reaction score
I have a Tikka Whitetail Hunter with European walnut stock and it weighs in at about 7 lbs. before adding a scope and it feels very light in the hand and even when hiking the hills it feels very light. I love the light in the hand feeling.......it is a very good feeling when hiking the hills.
'Nuff said
larrysogla

catchdog

Reaction score
i like the win mod 70 featherlight dont have one but if i buy another rifle that is what it will be . 270 and 7mm08 are both great rifles 270 faster flater shooting and ammo is cheaper and at every wall mart and hardware store. 7-08 lighter recoil short action will do about anything a 270 well do. i have a 7-08 and a 30-06 so no need for a 270 but would still like to have one. cant go wrong with eather one IMO. if you want to put a small compact scope like a 2-7 power and you are short like me 5-7 the short action will get you closer to the eye releaf . or have the stock cut down like i did on the 06. if that is not a issue then just pick the one that fits you best and go with it.

Top Bottom