Favorite mule deer hunting books?

leftyhunter

Reaction score
I am sure we all or at least many of us have read various books about mule deer hunting and read a few articles in magazines. All I can remember is to hide out on top of a ridgeline and glass a lot and walk up wind so a deer doesn't scent the hunter. Whats one good book that would be well written so even a middle aged guy can remember all the fine pointers? I have hunted mulies and never saw any mulies at all:confused: . I only saw a mulie buck while bow hunting hogs and that was a few months before the A-zone season.

Thanks;
Leftyhunter

COHunter

Reaction score
I own just about all and to be honest my favorite is Jim Zumbo's book written in the early 80's. Its out of print now and its not the tall thin book you occasionally see at Walmart. I'll get the full title when I dig it out of all my stuff.

I can sum up all the books about hunting mule deer written in the past 10 years in one paragraph. The new books are pretty much all the same anymore.

"Go buy the most expensive camo you can afford (real hunters wear Kings) to look like a real hunter, You must buy a .300 Ultra Mag to be real mule deer hunter, real hunters only use Swarovski Optik glass, you must become a marathon runner, get as high as you can and glass all day and all night, and most important of all, put so much pressure on yourself to shoot the biggest buck that hunting is no longer fun!"

hntnnut

Reaction score
My favorite is Mule deer, hunting todays trophies by Jim Van Norman and tom Carpenter. It speeks not only of tactics (like most other books)but also spends a great deal of time talking about HOW to spoot deer. I believeBarnes and Noble has the book.

Richard

sagebrush

Reaction score
My favorite is Mule Deer, Hunting Today's Trophies, Pursuing the Grey Ghost by Jim Van Norman and Tom Carpenter. It's a long title but it's the best book I've ever read on nuts & bolts mule deer hunting. There are a lot of great books but most of them are about the kind of hunting most of us will never get to do. This book will teach anybody things that will be applied this season. It has a section on picking out deer in photos that will really tune up the ol' eyes. I don't believe it's still in print but you can always find one on amazon.com.

easymoney

Reaction score
Bow hunting mule deer (a detailed guide for hunting open country bucks) by Dwight Schuh is the bible for bow hunters. It's out of print but well worth the money if found.
Mule deer, hunting todays trophies by Jim Van Norman & Tom Carpenter is great with some "find the deer" photos and very good techniques for seeing the deer.
Public land mulies by David Long, who is the new editor for Eastmans Bow hunting mag, has loads of tips on DIY hunts.

Big Moose

Reaction score
COHunter... Do you mean "Hunting America's Mule Deer" by Jim Zumbo ? It was written in 1981 and still has a lot of good info.

Moose

leftyhunter

Reaction score
Thanks again guys!:JHO rocks: I will have a fair amount of reading before the Fall. CO Hunter did hit the nail on the head. I have nothing against buying say a rifle that costs 5k between the rifle plus some super duper European optics. Affording one is a whole other story. I think the true key for a 40 plus year old guy to locate trophy deer is to first locate a wealthy woman of a mature age who either owns good deer land or is very wealthy and looks, political and religious orientation are simply not that important or beggers can't be choosers.:prayin :

Thanks Again;
Leftyhunter

Last edited:

sertshark

Reaction score
Public Land Mulies by David Long. It is the best I have read, and I have read a few. It is especially good for those of us who are not lucky enough to know soemone with private land. The only problem with this book is that you realize how much you've been doing wrong, and you also see how much work it takes to get a quality deer. And, you also see how much work Mr. Long puts into his hunts. Unfortunately I don't have the time available to hunt like David, but I learned enough to help me understand how to maximize my available time.

hank4elk

Reaction score
Mule deer by Dr. V Geist should be in every library and his elk book. Open country mule deer by D.Schuh. Public lands by Long is great too. RMEF has alot of great books ,for deer too.

Top Bottom