Favorite rifles, calibers & bullets...

Chadster

Reaction score
Hello everyone... just joined a week ago. Really cool forum with lots of great info. Thought I'd try my hand at it. What do you all use to hunt pigs with? Please include your make, caliber and bullets you prefer or recommend. Maybe all of us newbies can learn something.
I'll start, I have an old Remington 740 semi-auto in 30-06, that seems to really like Remington Corelokts - 180 grain. I also recently bought a new Tikka T-3 Ultralight in 7mm-08 and I am still looking for the ammo that it really likes. Also, what is everyone 's thoughts or feelings on bullets like Winchester Fail Safes and Barnes Triple shocks that advertise as bieng deep penetrating, causing lots of damage type rounds?

Arrowslinger

Banned
Reaction score
I typically use a Mathews Q2 w/ 100 grain thunderhead bullets, but if that fails..i roll w/ a Browning A-bolt 7mm w/ 140 gr. ballistic tips......it causes massive damage!!
The guns way heavy, but works like a charm...i did shoot one pig w/ it (140 ballistics) and cound never find the entrance hole, but the inside looked it was run thru a blender.....ahhh, good times.

sidepass

Reaction score
My Kimber 84m longmaster in .308 produces sub moa with PMC ammo loaded with 150 gr.SPBT Sierra Gameking bullets. They have performed well so far on a 275 lb Boar and a longrange shot on a cayote. Would have prefered to use my Ruger 77/17 on the cayote but the range was beyond it's ability. I also like Federal 168 match for the .308, boy does it print pretty groups with them.

crodog

Reaction score
When I'm not useing my Mathews LX with Gold Tip arrows and Muzzy 100's I like to use my Browning A Bolt in 30-06 with a Leupold scope, and 165 gr. Remington Core-Lokt. They don't go far after impact.

Good luck buddy.

Cro.

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
Let's see....When I'm huntin pigs I like to use my Winchester Model 70 Featherlight chambered in .270, this rifle REALLY likes the Winchester 130 grain Silver Ballistic tips. Also, let me chime in on what Arrowslinger said. Its does some damage. I have noticied with this round not a "ton" of meat damage, I usaully just cut out the small amount of bloodshot meat done from the round. I also from time to time like touse the Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag. I shoot the Federal Castcore 300 Grainers in that. I wanna try the Garrett 330 round in it. I hear those are awesome....

BobcatJess

Reaction score
I'm kinda old fashion, I use a Winchester 30-30 with open sites. My prefered rounds are the Remington Corelokts - 180 grain. I also use shotgun slugs to hunt the piggies in real close cover.

Jess.

fremont

Reaction score
Well, let me answer a question you didn't ask.....

What I want my pig gun to be is either a 260 Rem or a 7mm-08 in a carbine, lightweight mountain rifle form.
Topped with a nice 2-7x 33mm obj. compact scope (Burris, Leupold, etc.). Either a 140 Barnes or 156 Norma Oryx bullet (assuming .264"). That's my fantasy life.

On the Real Planet Earth, I use a Win 70 Classic '06 underneath a 3-9x 40mm obj. VX-II with 180 Barnes. Bone-breaking, penetrating pig killers. Heavy in the field, though.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Most of the piggies I've taken were with my '06 and Remmy 180gr. Swift Scirrocos - the most accurate off the shelf load that I could find. Kilt those pigs dead, but didn't destroy alot of meat. That bullet loves to paint the bore orange though - and now that I'm starting up reloading, I will be shooting either 165 gr. Interbonds or X bullets out of it, whatever works best..

My newest rifle is a 300 win mag, and the last pig I took dropped from a federal 180gr Grand Slam at about 75 yards. It passed through leaving a 1" exit, and more pig blood than used in the movie Carrie. Pretty impressive. I will now be reloading 180gr. TSX's for it.

My brush gun is a Model 94 Timber Carbine in .444 Marlin. That has the 18" ported barrel and feels great. I haven't blooded it yet,
but will be loading up some 300gr speer soft-points to shoot at around 2100 fps, just in case I see hogzilla walking around Tejon.

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
My brush gun is a Model 94 Timber Carbine in .444 Marlin. That has the 18" ported barrel and feels great. I haven't blooded it yet,  but will be loading up some 300gr speer soft-points to shoot at around 2100 fps, just in case I see hogzilla walking around Tejon. [/b]
Rancho....I think the first weekend in June just might be the first time you pull the trigger on that new .444
Thats a great gun, I was looking at one today. I also have my eye on the .450 Marlin

pbrdog

Reaction score
I use a Remington 700 BDL with a Drop Mag conversion, 30-06. 165gr Hornady SST's seem to work fine for that rifle.

BLASTMASTER

Reaction score
Originally posted by BobcatJess@May 17 2005, 08:52 PM
I'm kinda old fashion, I use a Winchester 30-30 with open sites. My prefered rounds are the Remington Corelokts - 180 grain. I also use shotgun slugs to hunt the piggies in real close cover.

Jess.
Hey, me too!
Except I have a 3x9 scope on high mounts, so that I have a choice between Iron sites, and the scope. Same round.
Believe it or not, I use a cheap New England 12ga singleshot (bead site) in the shotgun only areas. Works good though. 50 yard success at CR in the pic below (notice my cheap single-shot).

Attachments

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Any caliber .270 on up to .300 mag is about ideal for hogs. As for bullets I dont like the types on either end of the spectrum. I don't like the ballistic tips as I've seen them fail to penetrate twice on a hog's front shoulder. One was tracked and killed several canyons over and one was killed weeks later with a nasty wound full of maggots. And I don't like the Barnes or Failsafes as I've seen each of them fail to expand enough on clean lung hits. The animals died but ran a LONG ways in brushy cover. One was dead but we would not have found it without a dog. I've seen a cow elk take 4 shots from a Barnes X right next to each other in the lungs before going down. It looked like pencil hole through that animal. All this said, I think the mid range bullets are best for most applications. This includes the good old Corelocts, Powerpoints, Grand Slams, Partitions and Hornady Interlocts. You will have a pass through with a rib/lung hit on all but the biggest boars, and if it does not pass though, the slug will be shroomed up right under the off-side hide. I am very intrigued by the newer plastic tip, bonded core bullets like the Accubond, Interbond. They seem to be the best of both worlds. I am trying them out this weekend and hope to have a report when I return. Of course all this means nothing if you can't put it where it needs to go.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
I agree with SDHunter.

I shot a hog a few days back with a .30-06, 165 gr TBBs for the heck of it instead of my usual 150 grain partition reloads.

The TBBs don't "jello-fy" lung material really like partitions do---I really dislike the solids movement going on. 5 hogs were taken that weekend with Barnes Triple shock and they were clean kills. I'm thinking maybe Barnes got something right with that one although I think back to a lost deer story here last season with Triple Shocks.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Love my Savage 110 in 30-06, especially with 180gr Nosler handloads. I'll be experimenting with Barnes bullets this summer, and hopefully they'll perform as well.

Keep hoping to smack one down with my .44 and 240gr Hornady XTPs, but so far that's only been for finishing shots.

CAjackrabbitWCP

Reaction score
22-250 to the dome or in the ear cavity, they don't even take another breath, all the other piggies are wondering why their buddy has stopped moving around.

Neil San Diego

Reaction score
I've used my Mauser 35 Whelen with Hornady 250 gr spire points on the two pigs I've taken. Hope to use my Marlin 45-70 with 405 gn rems some day in the future.

I've been told that the large cals provide a good blood trail to follow if the first shot doesn't anchor them. The Whelen anchored the first pig I took, but left a large blood trail (double lung shot) on the second one.

Neil

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
22-250 to the dome or in the ear cavity, they don't even take another breath, all the other piggies are wondering why their buddy has stopped moving around.[/b]
The guide I hunt with up in King City uses nothing but a .223 to hunt hogs. No thank you, he does it all day long and very successful at what he does.

Shot

Reaction score
My favorite to use on hogs is a 12g pump action shotgun.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Dont you have to use a .24 cal minimum for big game in CA?

Top Bottom