Favorite rods and reels?

Fubar

Reaction score
Whats is your favorite rod and reel combo and what do you fish with it? I have always used and had good luck with ambassadeur reels for bass.
http://www.abu-garcia.com

Most of my fishing stuff is starting to age (like me). What are your favorites?                      Fubar

MikeZ

Reaction score
I also have three ambassaders(sp) and they work well for bass fishing. For spinning reels I like PENN. They are not new a cool but they hold up well and have nice smoothe drags. I am eyeing some of the new PENN spinning reels they came out with. For rods I like Ugly Stix since I don't break the tips like I do on every expensive rod I've ever owned. Hunting is over so now it is fish fish fish... Spring is coming and I want a 15 pound bass!!!

Sky Buster

Reaction score
as for rods... i didnt used to be very picky, as long as it was an ultra light, since i mostly fish for trout.  i bought a shimano carbomax last year and loved that pole. it was the most sensitive pole ive ever owned.  well this year, for christmas, i got a g.loomis ultra light.  it doesnt even come close to comparing to the shimano.  its by far the most sensitive pole ive ever felt.  i took it to corona lake, and had both poles set up with the same bait.  i caught 3 fish on the loomis, and 0 on the shimano.. i know its because the fish are real sketchy at that lake cause thousands of people fish there every week, and all the hits i got were really light. but when i set the hook, there they were.  so, i would recommend a loomis if anyone is in the market for a new rod.  it may co$t a little more, but its well worth it.

Rimrock

Reaction score
I've had several Ambassadeurs and a couple of Team Daiwas. Now I am using Shimano Curados. They are smoother and cast better for me. I use them on black bass and stripers.
I have seeveral Bass Pro Extreme rods, both casting and spinning. They are hard to beat.
Have a couple of Bass Pro Pro Qualifer spinning reels that are good. One Pro Qualifer casting rod that I don't like.

Play fair.

Rob

Reaction score
I mostly throw buzzbaits and spinnerbaits.  I really like the $50 shimano 7" 1oz rod I bought ,  they have another rod that is about $80 that is lighter and smaller diam.  I use Daiwa TD-X reels and love them.  I want to buy a TD-Z.  I have one of the new $100 Quantum baitcast reels and bon't like it at all,  I have a ABU 6500 and don't like it at all and I have a shimano corsair 400, the antireverse is iffy but it casts ok, I just ordered a Calcutta TE 400 for the large trout immitation lures. I can't wait.  For crappie fishing I love the little quantum under-spin-spincast reels that come with 4# test,  I have had 20 2# bass in day on it and a 10 Lb Cat also and the reels still do good. The 10' rod also helps.

andrew

Reaction score
As for reels, I just bought a new abu c4 and really like their tougness. As for rods, I roll my own with my favorite being either g.loomis, lamiglas, or st.croix(if money is tight).

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 I seem to have went with Quantum,both Openface and Baitcast,they are really smooth for the price,i also buy matching rods from Quantum.
 My last very nice very expensive ultralite went for a swim with the wife when she decided to jump out of my boat at about 40MPH  LOL

sportyg

Reaction score
For trout I use Daiwa rod & reel or my fly rig Egaleclaw rod/Martin reel. For bass i use my Quantum IronW/Quantum pro turnament rod, or fly 8.5ft.Egaleclaw rod w/Martin reel 8#line.

hntndux

Reaction score
Favorite reels are Penn Senators and Garcia Ambassaduers/Cardinals, rods are GLoomis, Fenwick and Kunan.  Favorite fishing lines: 30# and above Ande, 15#-30# Maxima, 4-12# Stren.

Gr8Unknown

Reaction score
I like the Quantum gear as well. I have two Quantum spinning reels and one rod. I think it's nice equipment for the price. I had an interesting experience with another rod I own, it's a Rhino Hide spinning rod made by Zebco. It's a farily heavy rig that I use for striper fishing. I was casting from the back of my boat and I accidentally hit the front seat on my backcast. I felt the plug stick for a second but was able to cast it out anyway. Later in the day I found the treble hook from my plug embedded in the seat. The split ring on my lure opened up when I followed through on my cast and left it behind. That rod had enough power to do that, complete my cast and not break or stop. To say the least I was amazed.

Shane

Reaction score
For salmon up here in WA, I really enjoy the new Fenwick HMX rods. I use a 9' baitcast and a 9.5' spinning rod. On the baitcast I am using the Abu Garcia Ambassador. For the spinner I'm using a Shimano Spirex 4000. I put them through their paces this season. I caught and recorded over 150 fish (Pink, Chinook, Chum, Silver and Steelhead), and released at least that many (lots of fish but low limits will do that).

I broke a 9.5' Fenwick Legacy spinning rod this season. Sent it back to them with a pic of the fish that broke it, and they sent me the new HMX for $9 shipping. Not bad! Good customer service.

Flyrod - 9 wt. Fenwick Iron Feather with a Lamson 3 series reel. It is stout enough to throw the heavy weighted lines in the salt water.

I also really like the Berkley XT lines. If you folks know of a killer line (Ande, Stren, etc) that is great for big fish, please holler.

Best        shane_greif@hotmail.com

(Edited by Shane at 12:21 am on Feb. 26, 2002)

grizz

Reaction score
For the price, my favorite rod is a Ulgy Stick. Right now I've got three, they're one tuff rod.  I've had, and have lots of diffrant poles but none seem to last like a Ulgy Stick.  I have been through a few Ulgys too but they all took a lot of abuse before I junked them.    Fenwicks action is good but they break to easy so I gave on them.  I'd like to have a Loomis or Lamiglass but thier to much money.
Two years ago the seven foot spinning rod handeld a 30 lb. striper no problem.  Also handeles salmon fine.  If I change the spool on the reel it works fine for trout or smaller fish. But I'd rather go smaller for them.  The 5 foot UL can drag a shad up a 3 foot water fall.  Try that with a Finwick UL, NOT.
I'm not sayin thier the best, but until I get that
G Loomis, Ulgy Stick is my favorite rod.
As for reels, I think my grandpa's old Mitchel 300 is my favorite, It's probablly older than me, I've got 4 diffrant spools for it and it just keeps going. I've had and have better, but it will probally out last them.    

Shane

Reaction score
Thanks Huntducks - It's just called P-line? I primarily used Ande in San Diego bluewater and inshore - when in Rome... Now I've been using the Berkley products. pretty stout, but I like to use the small diameter/high strength lines for the trout/salmon.

Grizz - sorry to hear about your luck with your Fenwicks. I take it they weren't HMX rods, huh? I've really been pleased with the overall performance of these rods. And, you should consider the Lamiglas. A really good rod as well. Generally cheaper than the Fenwicks and the 2002 products use their new XMG50 blank construction. Very popular with the Salmon guys up here. Good luck.

MikeZ

Reaction score
Try the P-line Fluoroclear(fluorocarbon coated copolymer). It is very soft, strong, and is supposed to be nearly invisible in the water. I like it over Berkley or stren's fluoro lines.

Mike

Shane

Reaction score
Roger that - I'll give it a cast.  Thanks much

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom