Favorite Wild Game

Haary

Reaction score
Looking at Woodseye posting with the picture of is moose caused me to think about how much I enjoy the flavor of moose meat.  I believe it is my favorite of all the big game meat I have had.  I have eaten mule deer, blacktail, elk, antelope, caribou, mountain goat and bear.  Moose is definetely my favorite.  My wife is from Belguim and they horse meat there.  She says moose meat tastes just like horse.  I have never eaten horse so I will have to take her word for that..

woodseye

Reaction score
Haary, I agree with you on the flavor of moose meat. Until I tasted moose I was sure nothing could beat venison loin. This was the first time we got drawn for a permit and being a younger bull it was excellant eating! Moose is my favorite over Elk-Mule Deer -and Whitetail. Although some friends of ours do have a couple of horses...Hmmmmm

woods

(Edited by woodseye at 1:48 am on Jan. 28, 2002)

wyokid

Reaction score
I will have to give my vote to elk meat.  I have never had the oppurtunity to taste moose. Sounds like it must be good............

Fubar

Reaction score
I have never tried Moose, so I will have to go with Elk. The Elk i have had was pretty darn good.                Fubar

MNTNMAN

Reaction score
Its a toss up between elk and well there really isn't anything better than a nice big old slab of elk steak. I prefer it over beef.

willowcrick

Reaction score
I think its a tie between moose and elk. I especially like doing dutch oven roasts and stews. My next favorite is bottled venison. I bottle most all my deer so I can keep the freezer open for elk and pigs. I can just take it off the shelf, brown it a little in the fry pan and it makes awesome taco or burrito meat as it comes out stringy like the good beef does but with a little extra flavor. It also makes great sandwiches with a little spicy mustard.

hntndux

Reaction score
Venison hands down.  Elk is great, but not as tender.  A nice deer steak is hard to beat all the way around.

songdog

Reaction score
I'll cast the odd vote for antelope.  A nice tender steak that's been marinating for two days in a cooler cooked medium rare over some really hot oak coals while camping with a loaf of garlic bread some Kraft Shells & Cheese (none of that powdered stuff) while huddled around a campfire in 40 degree weather knowing that you're going to get up in the morning after a night of sleeping in a wall tent and go elk hunting.

Ok, maybe it's more where you eat it than what you eat...

DanD

Reaction score
Boy this is a tough one.  In my opinion I'd go first with Elk, then venison and moose which are pretty close it's hard to pick one over the over.  Then sheep and lastly caribou.  I don't count bear.  You know the more I think about it, I would choose any of the big game over beef and this is from a guy that loves a good steak.  I have not taken a bison but I have eaten it and it was very good also.  No offence to the cattlemen out there it's just the economics, but I think most of the beef produced today is for quantity not quality.  

trkyhntr

Reaction score
I would also have to say moose. The worst i ever had was bear.

Duke

Reaction score
I really like duck shis-ka-bobs (spelling).  They have a really good flavor.  I would prefer almost all game I hunt over beef because you went out and killed it you brought it in from the field.

Dragon5126

Reaction score
Two words  gentlemen,
                               Wild boar.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
DANG SONGDOG!  You sold me, man!  Perfectly done.  

My favorites from my own bag fall really close in between hogs and deer.  Birds are OK, but never have been as good to me as a big ol' hunk of bloody red meat.  

Haven't killed an elk or an antelope yet, so can't speak for those.  Bear was good, but not my favorite.  And I reckon I'll never be moose hunting (never say never?) so unless someone serves it up to me, I won't have that one to judge either.  

woodseye

Reaction score
Just go to the moose hunt in Maine webpage and apply for a permit Speckmisser and if you get drawn I'll dial you right in! Take you out for free and help ya load him up when you shoot him.(you will shoot one) Just give me a little meat. Hunt of a life time. Info on my post in moose forum.

woods

russ

Reaction score
Hey Dragon5126 welcome to Jessies Hunting Page.
I'm with you I've had Deer and Elk,but nothings beat
Wild Boar so far.

HUNTER12

Reaction score
i've at vinison ever since i could chew solid food, literaly, my baby-sitters son hunted and she seved that up alot

wolverine

Reaction score
Venison cubed steak soaked in coca-cola overnight and then dipped in mustard and floured. Drop it in the deep fryer for a few minutes and eat up. MMM-MMM.

(Edited by wolverine at 4:16 pm on July 28, 2002)

Tominator

Reaction score
Wow, this is a tuffy. Wild turkey is hard to beat and would have to be my favorite fowl. As for red meat, I would have to go with venison chops.
Tominator

Latest Posts

Top Bottom