FCC says 'No' to Wireless Spam

Marty

Reaction score
FCC SAYS NO TO CELL PHONE SPAM:
With the proliferation web-enabled cell phones, Congress included a provision in the CAN-SPAM Act, passed last December, that prohibits unwanted commercial messages to wireless, hand-held devices. Congress charged the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) with implementing the provision. Part of the added concern about Spam on wireless devices is that unlike regular, computer-based email, costs are sometimes involved with receiving messages via wireless devices.

In a rule adopted August 4, the FCC said it will create a "wireless domain names list" to make it easier for commercial entities to distinguish between ordinary computer email addresses and those going to wireless devices.

In a statement accompanying a summary of the rule, FCC Chairman Michael Powell stated that, "By prohibiting all commercial messages to wireless phones and PDAs, absent affirmative consent from the consumer, Americans can now use their wireless devices freely, without being bothered by unwanted and annoying messages." Powell also noted that the creation of a registry of wireless domain names would make industry compliance "easy and inexpensive."

Now, if only they would ban "unwanted and annoying" messages to our personal computers, as well.

A summary of the rule is available at http://www.fcc.gov.

YH88

Reaction score
Good! I was getting mad about that. Verizon charges me $.02 per text message recieved ($.10 to send).
My dad had a problem with this issue for awhile. Getting ads for pills.. etc.. He ended up just having all SMS blocked on his phone and Verizon credited his account

Top Bottom