Feather and Sac river for upland.

Deserthunter1

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have been checking out this forum for some time, usually in the fall and decided to join. Good info, thank you.
Anyone run the Sac river up to Fremont weir or the Feather to Star bend? Quail, Dove, Turkey, and maybe a Pheasant..lol. A lot of the cover where I find the birds is loaded with poison oak and thick briar patches. Terrain is difficult at times whether you are on top hunting birds or anchoring the sled on the bank and climbing up. Birds are hard to find when you fold them in a briar patch, Not intentionally. Sucks!
I have been hitting this run on and off for the last 30 years and although the bird count is not what it used to be its well worth the effort. I am currently running a small red lab and she's not real strong on quail, rocks better in the waterfowl area.
Anyway I usually have 1 to 2 seats open in the sled and if anyone is interested in joining me that would be great. Preferably someone with a dog who loves quail, I plan on going this Saturday. Also run the Colusa to Chico area sometimes. I run a 17' Alumiweld center console sled with a 115hp Yama ob jet, flies with 3 guys and dogs, gear, etc. full camo wrap.

Thanks,

Frank

WassawBound

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have been checking out this forum for some time, usually in the fall and decided to join. Good info, thank you.
Anyone run the Sac river up to Fremont weir or the Feather to Star bend? Quail, Dove, Turkey, and maybe a Pheasant..lol. A lot of the cover where I find the birds is loaded with poison oak and thick briar patches. Terrain is difficult at times whether you are on top hunting birds or anchoring the sled on the bank and climbing up. Birds are hard to find when you fold them in a briar patch, Not intentionally. Sucks!
I have been hitting this run on and off for the last 30 years and although the bird count is not what it used to be its well worth the effort. I am currently running a small red lab and she's not real strong on quail, rocks better in the waterfowl area.
Anyway I usually have 1 to 2 seats open in the sled and if anyone is interested in joining me that would be great. Preferably someone with a dog who loves quail, I plan on going this Saturday. Also run the Colusa to Chico area sometimes. I run a 17' Alumiweld center console sled with a 115hp Yama ob jet, flies with 3 guys and dogs, gear, etc. full camo wrap.

Thanks,

Frank
Hi Frank, When ya heading out next? I'm trying to get my dog on wild birds. She's only been on pen raised at NAVHDA training days so far. Where both new hunters.

Here you can see her work.

Deserthunter1

Reaction score
Hi Frank, When ya heading out next? I'm trying to get my dog on wild birds. She's only been on pen raised at NAVHDA training days so far. Where both new hunters.

Here you can see her work.
Solid! Great vid. This Sat am. I will pm you later this evening. Thanks. Frank

sean english

Reaction score
That's an awesome dog to hunt wild chukars with. You want real adventure? Real wild bird upland hunting? Go over the Sierras and to the High Desert and look for CHUKARS. Close to Sac: Easy access, bad hunting. Everyone and their mother hunts Feather River, etc. I live 5 minutes from Sacramento Bypass. I never hunt there. There's nothing to hunt. Yes, an occasional pheasant MAYBE. If you like to check out chukar hunting, check out / join Nevada Chukar Hunters on Facebook. Also, https://upchukar.com/
Good luck guys.

chukar.jpg

79321211_3077077099183617_8507722372424400896_n.jpg

WassawBound

Reaction score
That's an awesome dog to hunt wild chukars with. You want real adventure? Real wild bird upland hunting? Go over the Sierras and to the High Desert and look for CHUKARS. Close to Sac: Easy access, bad hunting. Everyone and their mother hunts Feather River, etc. I live 5 minutes from Sacramento Bypass. I never hunt there. There's nothing to hunt. Yes, an occasional pheasant MAYBE. If you like to check out chukar hunting, check out / join Nevada Chukar Hunters on Facebook. Also, https://upchukar.com/
Good luck guys.

View attachment 76732

View attachment 76733
WOW, you make it look so easy. So how may feet of elevation did you climb for those birds?

Thanks for the suggestion Sean. We did make it east for some Quail near Bishop, CA. Iris managed to get on her 1st covey. I'm willing to make the dive if you've available to show my pup and I the ropes on Chuker hunting. She's mostly trained on Chukar. She unfortunately bumped a couple birds during our last training session. The quail near SAC just seem to flush before she's on point. Everyone seems to think I should keep hunting her and work on the steadiness in the off season. So that's what we will do.

While out with Frank I noticed she's infatuated with him. lol She totally thinks he should be planting birds for her. I noticed at the last training day she's totally on to us. She never takes her eyes off the bird bag. I started trying to plant my own birds more. Hopefully that helps.

Here's our 1st day hunting in Owens Valley.

sean english

Reaction score
Funny. We went out hunting yesterday and I was readying your reply when we were at the truck, telling the stories of how we shot the ones we did and missed the ones which got lucky.
We hiked about 5 miles yesterday and there was not snow. I guess your video was from before (you had snow) If you went to Owens Valley from Sacramento just to shoot quail, that is a long way. There are tons of other places you could've tried just along that 395. That is how I find my spots, just scouting.
Sure if you want to give it a try, (you owe it to your dog) I'll take you. No problem. Whereabouts do you live in Sac? Maybe we can have a coffee sometimes. I'm in West Sac. Send me a text. 916-893-4815

Top Bottom