Federal Black Cloud ammo and special wad retarding chokes

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I was talking to Lori at Wad Wizard and she was saying that the new Federal Black Cloud ammo doesn't do too well shot through the wad retarding chokes like the Wad Wizard and Patternmaster. I'll shoot some as a test to see how it does and take a pic so everyone can see it this weekend. They recommend a regular waterfowl choke that doesn't have the wad retarding in it.

They brought these special wad retarding shells out a couple years back for the turkey folks and I haven't had a chance to test them yet. Now it's trickling into the waterfowl ammo too. Word is they do work from the turkey hunters I know. The wad gets slowed up a bit so the shot column is shorter and more compact, hitting with more ummph on the business end.

Hogfest

Reaction score
Please do test and tell. I was thinking about maybe getting a case before duck season.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Nutshell summary from my results:
My kent 3.5" #2, 1 3/8th oz, and #2 2.75" 1 1/16 oz outpatterned (slightly) Black Cloud 3" #2 loads in a SBE II with mod. Crio Chokes.

A buddies Remington with a Briley goose choke tube got better results with BC than Kent.

IMO the BC wad is somewhat gimmicky--reloaders have known for years that no slits in the wad usually results in a tighter pattern and a longer shot column.

Top Bottom