Federal Upland Steel Shotshells

Sarghunter

Reaction score
Looking for feed back on the Federal Upland Steel Shotshells 7.,5 & 6 shot???

Thanks in advance

Neanderthal

Reaction score
Can't say I've used it, but I've used their older Steel Game & Target loads in no. 6 shot for years for doves, rabbit and planted birds.

I've never really hunted with any size smaller than 7 (only doves), except that I did once take a upland game clinic with DFW through the Advanced Hunting Ed. DFW required steel 7.5 or smaller, which I couldn't find at any store at the time. They ended up supplying shotshells for the clinic. I'm guessing Federal is making the 7.5 for those types of situational restrictions. I'd go with the 6.

dabob

Reaction score
Every hunter that I talked to that used both steel #7 shot and steel #6 shot for dove hunting said they liked the steel #6 shot much better.

Limited Out

Reaction score
Here is the optimal baseline upland dove load 1oz #6 at 1468 fps. I have now pattern tested 122 steel upland loads and this is about as good as it gets with 2 3/4" shells. Patterns at 80% in a 22 inch circle.

Limited Out

Reaction score
Here is the optimal baseline upland dove load 1oz #6 at 1468 fps. I have now pattern tested 122 steel upland loads and this is about as good as it gets with 2 3/4" shells. Patterns at 80% in a 22 inch circle.
At 40 Yards

dblsmk

Reaction score
I like Federal 6 shot steel for dove and later season quail. 7 steel works for me if I'm hunkered down in the dove decoys and the dove are coming in, and quail if they are being stupid or holding tight.
Pick one and it will be 6 shot.

Common Sense

Reaction score
I am no expert. Wanted to get #6 for mountain quail, but had to settle for #7. I use a 20 gauge.

I was very pleased with the results. But if I had a choice, I would use #6 in steel.

Limited Out

Reaction score
I have used #7s and they seemed OK at the time. The #6s are much better especially on days when the birds are flying high or it windy. The #5s give up to much pattern density for the extra knockdown power and range. My 2 cents, stick with #6s unless the birds are flying at treetop levels. Forget the #5s.

Top Bottom