Feds to exterminate (alleged) San Diego Hogs Gone Wild LOL

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
ADMIN MODE

Please DO NOT post full copyrighted articles here, we get take done notices when you do from the papers and authors. 2 paragraphs and a link is ALL that we can allow.

=========================================================================

Federal officials plan to exterminate county's wild pigs

By Ed Zieralski

9:12 a.m., June 1, 2011

A study found that the rooting behavior of feral pigs in California reduces the number and size of oak tree seedlings.

When it comes to controlling the spread of feral pigs in San Diego County, the public hunting effort isn’t doing the job.
That has led federal agencies to launch an ambitious program that will use cage traps, corral traps, federal hunters with guns and dogs and even shooting from helicopters to exterminate the area’s population of wild swine. Officials see the pigs as a threat to fragile ecosystems and public health and safety. Environmentalists worry about the damage wild pigs will do to the county’s sensitive habitat, much of it rebounding from Southern California’s catastrophic wildfires of the last decade.

To send comments about the project

You can send your comments to the U.S. Forest Service by mailing them before June 26 to Pete Gamben, environmental coordinator, Cleveland National Forest, 10845 Rancho Bernardo Road, Suite 200, San Diego, CA 92127.
Comments may be made via telephone at (858) 674-2901 or fax at (858) 673-6192. Hand delivery of comments may be made between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on business days at the address listed above.
Comments may also be emailed in a Word (.doc) rich text format (.rtf), portable document format (.pdf) or text (.txt) format to pgamben@fs.fed.us.

I just hafta laugh...imagine if the DFG published the GPS coords for those hogs! We'd be all over em in a heartbeat...but then that would save money and that's just not how we do things in California. Rolling my eyes!!!

Last edited:

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Trapping them, now that will be a never ending process, and pointless, unless a futile attempt at controlling their numbers counts for something. I just wonder what trapping models there looking at, that makes them think it could be successful. I am however very surprised that there not looking at sterilization, a proven method.

Announcing this just as the population is approaching numbers that make them huntable, I'm not sure what to make of this, other than, perhaps I should get my butt down there before they implement anything.

I can see them running dogs after them, gee, I wonder if that might scatter them and further distribute the population:lol bashing sign:

Marty

Reaction score
Helicopter drives? Seriously? In habitat that is reknown for its rugged, deep canyons and trees?

We need to form a new company: Jesses Depredation Service. Anyone have a helicopter, a jeep, a couple atv's, a few hundred feet of fencing, and some hounds to donate ? ;)

Common Sense

Reaction score
If the environmentalist are so worried about damage to sensative habitat in the border area; I can think of something the feds should eliminate before wild pigs.............

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
If the environmentalist are so worried about damage to sensative habitat in the border area; I can think of something the feds should eliminate before wild pigs.............
Would that be a suicide mission?

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
This just in...Feds looking into cost-cutting option using clusterbombs to eradicate the swine few.

ltdann

Reaction score
Send your comments to the program manager at pgomben@fs.fed.us Just gripping about it does nothing, unless you grip to the right people. You have until 26 June to make comments and save some taxpayer money on such a useless project.

It's too late, the pigs are out.

Last edited:

BADBuckfever

Reaction score
Weird, remember how much of a big deal the DFG made about a "NEW PIG HUNTING OPPORTUNITY" in San Diego county. So who is making a stink about this???? The article states "Federal Agencies"and "officials" are concerned..." Who are these people - Forest Service?
Quote from above article:
"Officials see the pigs as a threat to fragile ecosystems and public health and safety. Environmentalists worry about the damage wild pigs will do to the county’s sensitive habitat, much of it rebounding from Southern California’s catastrophic wildfires of the last decade."

Why are the environmentalists getting involved in this? I am willing to bet ONE frickin' person has made a big stink about these pigs and started this whole mess.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Send your comments to the program manager at pgamben@fs.fed.us Just gripping about it does nothing, unless you grip to the right people. You have until 26 June to make comments and save some taxpayer money on such a useless project.

It's too late, the pigs are out.

And I thought writing a letter was a given. But I also thought discussing ("gripping") it here, provided thoughtful information so sound arguments could be made, silly me.

ltdann

Reaction score
And I thought writing a letter was a given. But I also thought discussing ("gripping") it here, provided thoughtful information so sound arguments could be made, silly me.
You'd think so, wouldn't you? I talk to folks everyday that complain about the government or some new law that they're hot about. When I ask them if they wrote to their Assmemblymen or State Senator about it, most don't know who their elected officals are, let alone...GASP! send an e-mail to them.

To them, government is something they learned about in school. It simply IS. The thought that they might actually participate in the governmental process is completely alien to them, and frankly, I don't get it.

I explain to them that their elected officials are flying blind unless the constiuents (that's all of us) tell them what they should vote on. Otherwise, quit complaining.

Some folks get it, most remain sheeple.

BADBuckfever

Reaction score
Here's what I wrote to Mr. Gamben:

Dear Mr. Gamben,

I am also concerned about what is happening with these wild hogs in San Diego county. I am concerned that someone in the Forest Service has lost their mind when they determined that the WHOLESALE SLAUGHTER of a game animal is the BEST SOLUTION to a questionable problem. The SINGLE study cited in the news report of this proposed action cannot be very thorough, its only been five years since the population has been active. IS THIS GOOD SCIENCE???? Have the researchers been following around hundreds of pigs studying their behavior over time? Or has the study concluded that the outcomes would match the THEORIES without providing direct analysis of the subject group?

The California Dept. of Fish and Game has been involved with this population since the beginning of their introduction to the area. Why hasn't this research been done PRIOR to the introduction of the game animal? If it was done prior, why weren't these questions raised and addressed at that time? This is unbelievable, no wonder so much waste of resources continues to plague our government agencies.

Now, we receive news that the Forest Service is proposing a mass slaughter of a game animal. This is UNACCEPTABLE!!! How can this action be the BEST SOLUTION? If hunters have an extreme hardship finding the animals how can the forest service do any better? Or how can the studies be accurate? Give me a break. Someone said this is a "knee jerk reaction" to a SUPPOSED PROBLEM. I agree. The environmental concerns have NOT been proved to be anything other than theory.

I smell a rat here. Who is calling for these actions? Who are the "environmental groups" concerned about this? Could you please provide me with the names of these groups involved in suggesting/creating the pig eradication program you propose?

I appreciate the opportunity to address the insane and futile action proposed by the USFS. Please know that I understand the importance of the environment's health. Issues of healthy environment are crucial to the management of our nation's resources, but quick fixes and poor research are not beneficial in the long run. Take some time to develop good management tools. Increase the amount of research in order to be effective in dealing with the results of these studies. To propose a non-reversable action in haste does not show good management skills and is another symptom of illogical forest management. Politics do not belong in scientific research and the management of our public lands.

Thank you,

Last edited:

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
WTF! I sent my letter and it gets bounced?

This is a delivery status notification, automatically generated by MTA ftc-ems-gtw-av2.agent.one.usda.gov on Thu, 02 Jun 2011 14:07:28 -0600 Regarding recipient(s) : pgamben@fs.fed.us Delivery status : Failed. Message could not be delivered to domain <fs.fed.us> .{'pgamben@fs.fed.us': (550, 'pgamben@fs.fed.us... No such user')} MTA Response :N/A The original message headers are included as attachment.

Man this is BS!

jumphis

Reaction score
And our politicians wonder why our state is broke. Us hunters can help but instead wasting taxpayer money is what they are accustom to doing. I will also write a letter! Thanks for the info guys!

ChefTodd

Reaction score
Send a hand written letter....flood there office!

ltdann

Reaction score
Odd, I didn't get mine kicked back. When I did an e-mail search, that led me to USDA in Indianola MS, not the forest service. The forest service website doesn't have an employee by that name.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Thanks LT...that worked.

Everyone on this site should email pgomben@fs.fed.us and be heard LOUD AND CLEAR! It only takes a couple of minutes. Be a good hunter...do it.

ltdann

Reaction score
Be nice to the guy, but firm in what you believe in. He responded to my email very quickly and offered to send me maps to where the pigs are. Same ones on the CNF website.

Top Bottom