Feral Dogs

Onefoot

Reaction score
Guy's I have been helping out a rancher here by me.

He has lost over 5 cattle to dogs.

There is about 6 to 9 large dogs, labs, shepards, rotwiler, collies and smaller hines.

I do not like shooting someones pets.

But the rancher is losing about 800.00 per cow.

So far I have gotten a blk/ chocolet lab mix, collie and a shepard.

Not one had tags on the collor. so the ranch manager could go after the owners.

I just hate shooing the dogs when it should be the humans that owned then that should be getting the crap knocked out of them.

But wounce the dogs kill and taste the blood there is no going back.

(Edited by Onefoot at 12:08 pm on Mar. 12, 2002)

Kernhuntr

Reaction score
Onefoot,

I grew up on a ranch and have shared similar feelings the first time I had to shoot a domestic critter (dog). They usually hit us around the calfing season and would tend to shrink the end of the year bankroll. It's one of those things that has to be done.

We actually had a lady come and ask us if we had seen her dog....said she'd let it out to roam our ranch and could'nt figure out why it never came back after so many times being set loose. When my grandfather informed her that we shot it, she came un-glued and called the law. He got to the house , heard the story and in so many words told her that she was a looney-toon. Even after all that I still kinda felt sorry for her, she was just plain ignorant of the way thing are in the real world.

Kernhuntr

(Edited by Kernhuntr at 1:17 pm on Mar. 12, 2002)

redfox18

Reaction score
If a dog has gone that far to kill cattle,it most likely couldnever be domesticated again anyway

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
I think there's a lot of people that just don't realize that Mac or Buddy just become a completely different animal when they're running around loose with a bunch of other dogs.

I've heard of lots of stories where dogs are let out at night by the owners and they somehow think the dog just goes down to the corner ice cream store for the night.  They'd be shocked to see what actually happens before the sun comes up and he comes up to the back door to be let in.

Onefoot, it's too bad you've got to do the dirty work.  The animals and you are both paying for the owner's stupidty.

Hook

Reaction score
Onefoot,
Dont feel bad. those dogs are no longer someones pet, they have become part of a pack that hunts for food, just like a coyote or wolf.

In todays politicaly correct climate, it might be better to do the job quietly.

Modocer

Reaction score
With such a small population here in Modoc it is pretty easy to find the owner of any stray  dog. It is our policy tell the owner once that there dog is running free and that they need to keep it home. The second time the dog just doen't come home. If anyone asks just say you haven't see it. Shoot shovel and shut up.

wildlifedesigner

Reaction score
My little story on this: This duck season my buddy and I were driving on a private ranch I have access on, We came accross a Rottweiller and a lab chewing up on a cow, the rot had i by the nose pinning to the ground, and the lab was biting at it, needless to say we got out of the truck the lab came over to us calmly and the rot still would not let go. When the Rot let go it got a 3 1/2 mag. The lab was still running around avioding the cow, so i let it go, just so I could go with the dog and ID the owners, which I then told the rancher were to go. If it ever happend again I would shoot it, The rancher said I should of shot it because it will be back. So for now on, any dog messing with cattle in that manner is a dead dog.

paulc

Reaction score
we keep a few animals at our house.. and i have lost sheep, rabbits and almost a 600lb steer to feral dogs.. if you think you should feel sorry for the owner, your feelings are misguided.. when you go out and see your animals dead and not killed to eat but just for the blood lust it really pisses you off.

my opinion anyones dog that is not in their yard is open game.. if you own a dog, it is your responsibility to keep it curbed.. if you forgoe that responsibility you are taking a chance that your animal is gonna get itself into trouble.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Onefoot-
  I agree with everyone else...I wouldn't feel too bad about it. I have shot a few myself. The first one bothered me, but the more I talked to people, and found out the damage they do to livestock and wildlife, the easier it got.
  Some of the spots that I hunt coyotes are also the local dumping grounds for unwanted pets. Seems that once or twice a year I call in a pack. Some of them can be really aggressive. I've had a few that wouldn't back down even when I made it clear that I wasn't the rabbit they were looking for. those are the ones that get it for sure.
  I wouldn't mind getting ahold of the people who dump their "pets" because they're too much trouble or they're just too lazy and ignorant to take care of them.             Scott

Onefoot

Reaction score
Guy's

THANKS.

I have been fealing really bad.

The Lab's were and are greatlooking dogs.

I had one growing up. He slept with me till i had to have him put down from canser.

These dogs are like that a canser. But really it is the owners fault. not the dogs.

But I gave my word to help and I shall.

thanks again.

Rimrock

Reaction score
Onefoot,

I know how you feel. A couple of ranches that I hunt on have made it plain that loose dogs are to be treated just like coyotes. So far I haven't had to make the decision and hope I don't have to. There is no question that they are destustive and should be destroyed
but I have owned so many dogs that I would hate to do it.

Play fair.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I certainly agree with all the other posts here.  I have been packin' a semi-auto pistol when I hunt upland birds or rabbits with a shotgun now; since a time in the early '80's when a pack of feral dogs and coyotes kept advancing on my buddy and my beagle, even after he put two rounds into the dirt in front of them.  His 3rd, and last, loaded round went right into the pack!  That definitely stopped their advance.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom