FHL 2017

DAQ80

Reaction score
Looks like they opened up a few of the FHL elk hunts this year, unfortunately not all of them though.

Regardless the only one I can even think about putting in for is 449 because I'll be heading out on deployment shortly after that season.

Anyone ever do that hunt? I'm assuming they're not really herded up during that time, but never been up there that time of year. I know the hunt dates for 449 usually get shifted around so I may not even put in for it.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PheasantHunter

Reaction score
I have never seen it happen during that time (late July - early Aug) even though that has been their plan on a few occasions. One time they even shifted the dates to late Oct or Nov after the draw had been completed. Needless to say the success rate was dismal. What that place needs is a very pro-hunting CO, like Col Soriano many years back. Until that happens again the hunts won't be close to their full potential. When he arrived he opened up areas (to arch/muzz) that were previously off limits and as soon as he left those areas got shut down again. If you are set on those dates I wouldn't bet that is when the hunt will be. If it is during that time frame it will be 110 degrees if the sun comes up.

DAQ80

Reaction score
Yea, I think I'm gonna have to pass this year up. I wish they had a Point Only option.

After no season at all last year, it should be pretty good for whoever draws the limited tags this year.

PheasantHunter

Reaction score
If the elk came back...I talked to the local biologist last summer and he said the drought had displaced well over half the herd. They have had rain since obviously, but no idea if they are back to their old haunts.

DAQ80

Reaction score
Really? Was it Jim you talked to (I think that's his name), he's a cool guy.
Like I said I haven't been up there. My sister was working on the base most of last year, and I know the herd that usually hangs out in 13E was there, not sure what it's #'s were though.

PheasantHunter

Reaction score
Yes, it was Jim I spoke with. Great guy. Too bad his hands are tied when it comes to game management on the base. If it was up to the biologist crew things would be different. The piece to the puzzle on that base that will always be a wildcard is the 1 person who has the final say. Historically though that Dec hunt has typically been a safe bet on open areas and not being messed with...but then the weather can be the tough part, could rain for two weeks straight. No easy answers.

DAQ80

Reaction score
Yea, that guy is awesome.

We've only done the thanksgiving hunt and it's been pretty good all around. I got it once and my son got it the following year. Deployment schedule just isn't going to allow for much elk or deer this year for us. That's why I wish you could just buy a point. I should probably call and check to make sure they even have my past point logged. I know when Greg left the hunt program was kind of on auto pilot and not sure how that all worked out.

Good luck to anyone putting in for a hunt. Hopefully I'll be able to get one in a few years.

bullfrog

Reaction score
You can just get the point. Its code is 499

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DAQ80

Reaction score
You can just get the point. Its code is 499

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Sorry, I'm referring to the draw on the Military side, not the State DFW draw. I don't know if a point only option for the military draw.

Really wish I was gonna be here for that December muzzleloader hunt!

Reaction score
there's a lot of bad info in this thread...

Sorry, I'm referring to the draw on the Military side, not the State DFW draw. I don't know if a point only option for the military draw.

Really wish I was gonna be here for that December muzzleloader hunt!

did you end up applying? if you drew a tag get a hold of me.

Top Bottom