FHL elk hunt

bjbawana

Reaction score
Christmas has come early this year. I was the first alternate for the muzzy bull elk hunt at Fort Hunter Liggett this year. Got a call from Ca DFG that someone turned in their tag and I got it. If anyone here has had one the the FHL tags in the past I would appreaciate any first hand knowledge you would be willing to share. Thanks

CaliJeephuntr

Reaction score
Congrats on the tag! What kind of information are you looking for?

bjbawana

Reaction score
Just curious on how the hunting was. Do the elk high tail it for the private ranches across the hiway or will they sick around the base? Do the bulls react to cow calling or bugling that late in the year?

DAQ80

Reaction score
Congrats on drawing the tag. Have you hunted FHL before?
I was hoping to draw that tag as well. My son and I have both gotten a cow during the thanksgiving hunt.
I’ll send you some info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAQ80

Reaction score
Sent you some info, hope it helps, let men now if you have any other questions.

hntboar

Reaction score
You will find the Elk on Fort Hunter Ligget, they do not move off the base that much. You should be able to get one, I would hunt the following areas, 25, 9 next to tank range and in the hills of 9. Also area 15 and 16 as well. My buddy got his Bull in area 25 last year. Missed a few in area 9. Hope this helps.

bjbawana

Reaction score
Hey DAQ80 thanks for the info you sent me, I really appreciate the feedback I've hunted up at FHL a couple of times and am famiiar with the units you suggested. Looking foward to getting up there and chase them critters around.

bjbawana

Reaction score
Thanks to you also hntboar. I'll be up there every weekend I can starting in November checking all those units out, trying to tie one up to a tree somewhere for later on. HA

DAQ80

Reaction score
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bjbawana

Reaction score
Hey Guys.
I wanted to share a picture of the bull I was blessed to harvest Tuesday on the muzzlelaoder bull elk hunt up at Fort Hunter Liggett. It was the best experience ever. Ton's of elk, the staff at FHL was awesome as well as every other hunter I met.
A BIG thank you to all of the guys here that shared their experience and knowledge with me. Look me up when you draw your tag!!!
FHL Elk 3.jpeg

Top Bottom