FHL guys...whaddaya think?

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
I keep reading about successful pig hunts at FHL and since their website states civilians can hunt the weekends, I am wondering if you can offer any tips for an FHL noob. Anything from initial form submission to where to look/not look for porky pig...whatever you wish someone had mentioned to you before your first hunt there. I'd prefer to go with someone else who has been there but that's been difficult. Looks like I cannot hunt there until July because i don't have a permit yet. How often are you turned away at FHL? Is the hog hunting really THAT GOOD or am i only reading the reports that a minority of FHL hunters post? What other good hunting options are there at FHL? Thanks in advance.

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
My advice is: "Go and start scurrying the mountains and canyons." Heck it took me 2 years of scurrying around to find the more productive hunt areas. And after 24 years of hunting FHL, there are some hunt areas that I have not been to.

solus

Reaction score
yup what l2h said Ive only gone there 1 year so far and I am barely figuring out where they are. Im headed up there in July for deer when you going?

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
yup what l2h said Ive only gone there 1 year so far and I am barely figuring out where they are. Im headed up there in July for deer when you going?
Haven't decided if I am or not yet. Waiting to learn more about the place.

solus

Reaction score
honestly I dont think people are gonna give up there spot that easy but you never know. Are you bow hunting, rifle, muzzle loader, shotgun?

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
honestly I dont think people are gonna give up there spot that easy but you never know. Are you bow hunting, rifle, muzzle loader, shotgun?
Don't know. If there's enough cover then the bow would be my first choice but a lot of guys talk about 200+ yard shots. Again, I am not familiar with the place, trying to get a handle on it. Sounds like a big parcel of land.

jls456

Reaction score
Personally,I've hunted FHL and Camp Roberts since around 1983. Times have changed,but if you are willing to burn some Boot leather,or some rubber on your jeep/truck,there are some good times to be had. Get out there and explore. You will enjoy time in the field,succesful or not. I used to wait in line at FHL,starting on the Tuesday before Deer Season Opening day in my lawn chair,anticipating getting drawn for a good spot. Met some great people,while waiting in line,and sharing a beverage and some BS hunting stories. The campground is a good place to meet fellow hunters.

Some hunts were good.....some not so good,but good times had by all.
It gets pretty hot during Deer season,and pretty snotty and slick when it rains. Gotta love it!!!!

PM me if you want some more info,or possibly hook up this year..

solus

Reaction score
Ill definately be there for opening archery one way or another but Im hoping to get my G13 or A31 tag this year before that. But theres always my second deer tag if i get it :-D. I dont know about no 200+ yard shots there. Everything I has been within bow range 60yards or less

7Mag_PigHunter

Reaction score
Just like the rest of the guys said it... Yea there are lots of pigs in liggett... But that don't mean you see them everywhere.. You really gotta put time into it unless if you get lucky sometimes they cross the main roads right in front of you... Pigs, especially in public land, are very nocturnal so finding them is a whole lot more then just looking around... My advice to you... Check every single canyon in the hunting area you go to and gloss everywhere from bush to bush tree to tree.. Oh ya make sure you find signs before you start glossing or else your chances get slim as twig... You gotta make sure the location you are at is in the middle of the pigs crossing area... Personally... I always spot pigs in open fields... People don't seem to realize that pigs feel safe crossing through the fields especially when the grass is high... Live2Hunt knows what I'm talking about ... lol ... Good luck bro and remember a pig shot on public land is just absolutely priceless... Gotta love it

Moskinyca

Reaction score
If you are coming north you could ask one of the guys that are planning on being there when you are around to take you in as a guest so you can see what how it looks. Wish I had more time to make it down its a drive for me too!

TonyS

Reaction score
Pay the money and get a year long pass to hunt pigs. the deal is to get there on Friday afternoon and get your area quickly. It is a huge place. Out of 31 areas I hunted one that was 4600 acres. Yes you read that right, 4600 acres. I saw elk, had hogs grunt from bushes too deep for me to get into, saw small game galore!

Go, what else do you do with your weekend?

easymoney

Reaction score
Don't know. If there's enough cover then the bow would be my first choice but a lot of guys talk about 200+ yard shots. Again, I am not familiar with the place, trying to get a handle on it. Sounds like a big parcel of land.
Bruce,
There is lots of cover almost too much in places.
There are primitive weapon only TAs where archers do quite well, area 29 comes to mind and it has great access, good cover and is limited to bows or shotguns.
It is a huge place and very reminiscent of old California before all the houses. It has all types of terrain and cover, IMHO look for those that have permanent water and adjoin private ranches with crops on. Right now the barley and oats are in head and the harvest is starting, the pigs love those two crops like candy.
For a first time bow hunter, try 29, 13 or the other limited weapons areas. Get out there early and beat the brush. The pigs travel to and from the private property and have to go to water daily. If you are there very early you can catch them moving.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
So overnight camping is allowed? I assume it's a dry camp area right? What do they have their? Firepits? Heads? Anything? Nice to know there's some spots set aside for bow hunters. Are sidearms allowed in those areas. A big pissed off Russian in dense cover can ruin your day.

solus

Reaction score
you can dry camp, they have some benches, some grills, and some camps have running water and theres a few portapotties and toilets as well

saravonshep

Reaction score
P2190052.jpgP2190046.jpg

Here are some pics of the camp ground....Been their one time so far and i was in area 25. I did manage to see 1 pig but again he was in some pretty thick stuff. Im hoping to get up their in June and give it another shot.

TonyS

Reaction score
There's water and outhouses and a store about 4 miles down the road. Send in your application and find out.

johndoe

Reaction score
I'll be down there june 1-3 with some friends for our second pig hunt. last time we stayed in the camp ground and had a blast, so we will be doing the same this time. If you end up down there that weekend let me know we always have room for one more around the fire, we arent seasoned pig hunters but your more than welcome to come out with us.

Top Bottom