FHL Thanksgiving 2012 Hunt Nov 22-25. Who's in for pigs and turkeys?

ltdann

Reaction score
I'll be up helping a friend chase cows around. I'm hoping we'll be done by then, LOL, but we might see you guys up there. Full camo F-150. Say hi

wtpops

Reaction score
I have to play it by ear but i just might end up there for a couple of days.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Sposed to rain Weds and then partly cloudy till Sun with temps in the 60s n 70s. I'm all in. Dang rooms went up again at Gibbs Hall.

Can we check in Weds for an area? How late will the window be open?

Hikingwithguns

Reaction score
Probably be up there friday or saturday to check a spot for hogs for a day hunt.

wtpops

Reaction score
On some turkeys, must have seen 60 birds today, 4 good size flocks, some triples and busted five out of the brush. Have a blind built into the brush, going to put out a decoy and see if I can get them close enough to put a arrow in one. 3 of the flocks left the field and went through the same saddle, have my blind built in the saddle and hope the deek will bring them through there again in the morrning.

Last edited:

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Good luck WTPops. Did you get a sneak in on them birds?

wtpops

Reaction score
Good luck WTPops. Did you get a sneak in on them birds?
Yes i did, As soon as i left the truck i saw the first flock, looked like about 15 birds, they were feeding from the field to the trees. I thought my only chance was to hoof it to the top of the ridge, make my way around the back side and get set up to intercept them. About 3/4s of the way my legs were hurting and the lungs were burning, i made it to where i thought they would be coming out and saw a good ambush point about 30 yards ahead, I make it about 15 yards and the birds come out and of course see me right away. I was about 3 min to late.

This morning i get in early and get set up in my brush blind i cut out the afternoon before, get the deek setup about 18 yards from me and start my wait, at first light i can hear some birds in the field and about 10 mins later a small bunch flew down right over my head. As time went on i can hear them feeding off in the WRONG direction. I wait until about nine and then cant take the sitting so after them i go. I go about 300 yards or so and can hear them, I start in after them and we play cat and mouse for about a 1/2 hour but I got caught, i think i was the mouse in this little hunt, they had me chasing them on there terms and not mine. I did get to within 20 yards at one time but no clear shots. Was a great weekend and learning experience and i have never seen so many birds and deer in one spot on the base before. I could not turn around with out running into a deer or some birds. I will be hitting this spot in the spring when i might be able to get some to come into a call.

Last edited:

Advertisement

Top Bottom