Fiday hunt at the Ranch

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Took off early friday afternoon for a little pig hunting.....

Attachments

upper

Reaction score
Not you too now also,MJB? Did you put your little Jagd on that lung blood? Upper

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Couldn't have been a very long tracking job... so where's the money shot?

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Upper, No dogs on the ranch...but she will do a good job on pigs, she has lots of fire and a great nose!!! I love this breed very versatile on all game so far.
We need to get together for some trap running and see how she'll do, and a little socializing of the dogs and see if breeding is feasible also. Hope things are good!

Phil,
Better late than never!!!!

Attachments

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Well I hit the Ranch about 3pm. I sign in and see that I’m the only one on the Ranch. What a treat!!!

I go to the campsite and talk myself into not putting my tent up…no need….I’m going to kill a good pig and head home tonight! Nothing like sleeping next to your woman!!!

I change my clothes and clean all of my optics. I head out to MY Speckmisser Ridge/surething and get an email on top of the ridge from OZstriker. I email him and let him know that I’m on the Ranch and he should be here for some fun! I walk out to this shelf for some glassing and the wind is about 15 knots and from the north, northwest. Well I sit and glass for a while down hill and listen to the canyon up wind.

upper

Reaction score
If you don't stop this MJ,I'm going to take you behind the RV> Upper

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Come on this is fun.......I didn'l start this.
I just like to play!

I start to glass the down hillside and see 12 pigs, good size about 1000 yards away As I'm tring to figure the logistics of this stalk I hear pigs squealing in the canyon that's up wind and 100 yarlds downhill .

What should I do?

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
So I walk slowly over to where I heard the pigs. It's thick cover on the ridge but the draw is open. I start crawling on my hands and knees keeping the wind in my face. I can hear the pigs real well so I know I'm close but where are they.

Then I hear to my right a big stick break. I know that's a pig most likely bedding down before the sun goes down. I decide to keep my focus on the pigs in the draw. I start to see the bottom of the draw which is now about 40 yds away. I set up and start to see some pigs moving around. I see some small ones about 80lbs. Then this sow comes up the draw and walks right into the clearing I have to shoot through. I'm in a seated position facing down hill put the scope on her shoulder and let her have all of the 30-06 168 gr. XLC BT.

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
As the pig falls over spewing blood everywhere, the whole hill side opens up with pigs running in every direction one went right at me and passed me at about 10’. My pig gets up I rack another round and she moves 5’ and goes down for the last time.

Then the hack and haul begins as the sun goes down a 15 minute hike back to the truck with just the meat and I’m heading home by 8pm.

Their was only 2 other hunters on the south side and they came up empty.

Attachments

ozstriker22

Reaction score
Dude! Great story! Congrats again!

1. I'm glad I didn't read your post until this morning - my impatience would have driven me CRAZY waiting for each little tidbit of information... but since I got to read it at once I rather enjoyed the other member's misery. LOL

2. I love that you didn't even set up camp. Man on a mission. Accomplished almost as fast as OneTrack. LOL

3. You never said what she weighed in at...

4. Gotta get me another piggie.

One Track

Reaction score
MJB:

Nicely done! You're in Pork City! You must know that place pretty well.

Dang it. Three more weeks until I can hunt hogs again.

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

OZ she was about 150lbs FD I need to get a light scale for the field.

OT, This is the first time I've been on the ranch during the winter and with no leaves on the oaks I'm learning the lay of the land all overagain.

Next time it's only the bow..
...and the 204.

BDB

Reaction score
Nice work, gotta love those short fruitful trips.
I hope you at least showered up before crawling into bed

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Well done, MJB!

So it was time to go ahead and put one on the ground, huh? Nice...

I sure can't wait until May!

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Speckmisser @ Mar 24 2008, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So it was time to go ahead and put one on the ground, huh? Nice...[/b]
Tejon changed a couple rules, one is I can take more than 2 pigs.

Sounds like the lead ban is hurting sales.

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
Nice story MJB...Good lookin sow. Shes gonna eat real nice..Way to go!!!

Top Bottom