Fighting Purr - When Does This Tactic Work?

Welby

Reaction score
Does the fighting purr tactic really work?  When do you use it?  Does it work well?

Like most other turkey hunters and call collectors, I too have the Knight & Hale fighting purr system in my arsenal.  However, I have yet to use mine, partly because I can't get a good consistent purr out of either one of those push-pull boxes.

My question is not so much about that specific brand or model of call as it is about the tactic.  After all, I can actually do a much better job of simulating the fighting purr sounds on my tube call or on my friction call than I have heard others do on the push-pull calls.

What I want to know is the answer to these questions:  

1)  Is this an early spring, mid-spring, or late spring tactic?  Or can you use it anytime?

2)  Does it work on call shy gobblers?

3)  What is your experience using this tactic?

(Wolfman, I especially am eager to hear your advice and about your experiences.  This should be good.)

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I always use a fight as a last ditch effort with actually good results.  A friend who taught me the tactic said "evrybody likes to see a good fight", point made.

Brian

Possum

Reaction score
I have called in some birds using this system.  When it works - it works.  I usually use a tube, or a slate and diaphram.  If you shoot one gobbler and want to get another for your buddy, I've found it works 100% of the time (if there is another bird watching).  I called a 2yr old 150+ yards across a field doing this after we had shot the first bird.  Yeah, he meant business when he got there.  If you want to play with them, shoot your bird and then start the fighting purr.  What a show.  If you've never done it, try it and sit back and watch.  The secret is to not stop once you've started.  

Oh - I forgot
1.anytime
2.Don't know?
3.works great sometimes -better with large numbers of birds

(Edited by Possum at 6:45 pm on Feb. 13, 2002)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I've used it in a last resort a few times. One time was a hen who kept leading a Merriam longbeard away from a buddy and me. After 3 hours of no luck and realizing they weren't interested I talked my buddy into doing a knock down drag out fight sequence. We set up 2 dekes near each other and then had at it with several calls during the fighting purrs and hat popping on our legs and kicking the leaves.

10 minutes later here came the hen marching in for a look with the longbeard trailing right behind. We had agreed that the nearest shooter would take the tom and I would like to say we whacked that tom, but Murphy got us that day. When the tom was about 60 yards out another longbeard appeared from behind us and startling gobbling his fool head off I guess to let everyone know he was king of that ridge.

My buddy was closest to him and tried to ease around for a closer shot but a fence had the tom hung up just out of range. The 1st tom turned tail and ran off and we sat there with 1 longbeard just out of range who refused t ocross the fence. It was fun though since we fooled all 3 of em.

Wild Turk

Reaction score
Interesting Info. I think push button calls arent worth a damn in my opinion.  I can get better sound from a MAD glass call.  I guess a diaphram would work, but the purr is the only call I cant quite master on the diaphram.

ctwny1

Reaction score
The Fighting Purr call does work. Does it work all the time? "NO" but when it does they come running. I've used the Fighting Purrs on birds that were hung up nd wouldn't come...but they came running in when they heard a fight going on. I've got these calls in my vest at all times and they have brought me success more times when all else fails.

Welby

Reaction score
The big complaint I have about pushpins is all that spring noise.  They make good turkey noises otherwise, but if you are close to them, that spring moving around in there makes a heck of a racket.

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
welby - for my two cents worth I think that fighting calls are worthless.  I've been hunting turkey many years and I have never had or know of anyone who has had any luck with them.  It could be that most of us use a fighting call as a last resort and therefore have treated all of the birds in the area to every other call in our arsenal first and the birds are call shy.  I don't know.

A lot of my hunting buddies meet at a little mom & pop resteraunt each spring turkey hunting day for lunch (we have to be out of the turkey woods by noon) and the fighting purr is not very popular at all.

IMHO most of these calls that are a "must have" are the sales gimmicks of the call manufacturers.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom