Briggs & Stratton
Generac
Powermate
ETQ
Blue Max
Honda
etc...

Is there an obvious choice here?

Second decision, am considering a TRI FUEL gen (gasoline, propane & natural gas) because it seems like an obvious benefit as I would always have at least one 9or more) of these on hand. Never ran a generator in my life, don't know squat. Whaddaya you guys in-the-know think of the TRU FUEL units?

Last question...is it better to run a buncha cords off the unit or have it set up so I can hard wire it into the house? Seems like the ability to turn on any light or TV in the house would make a hard wire option more livable plus not cords to trip over

Last edited:

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Bruce, you want to have a good idea of what you will need to be running and how much total draw that would require. A generator rating is generally the peak output, but it is not capable of maintaining that output, so you also want to be sure the generator will handle the draw you intend on running.

There are kits to hook a generator up directly to your electrical panel, and if you do it this way, you want to be sure protectors are built into the system so that when the power does come back on, your not double feeding your system, (it could get real costly). In other words, if electricity is coming in from both your generator and the utility, you will not only ruin your generator, but any appliance, light... that is on, and perhaps some appliances that are not.

If money were not an object, hands down, I'd go for a Honda, and have an electrician hook it all up, direct to the panel. Cords will work, but having cords running all around can be a pain, and just one more inconvenience and hazard. Second, (money not being an issue), I would consider a diesel.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
I'm told I can completely disconnect from the grid with the flip of a switch if the electrician wires the gen for quick plug-in so there's not risk of damage to the requipment or a lineman working upline. Considered diesel but don't see a downside to have the option to use nat. gas or propane which require less maintenance and are readily available and I could make gasoline the fallback the option. I have several propane tanks and can easily rig a nat. gas line so there's no refueling as long as the gas is flowing. Am I missing something? I looked at the amps and figured an 8000 would be nearly double the average amt we'd need to power two refigerators, two chest freezers, lights, computers and televsions. Better to buy too big than too small right? The WINCO models say they have Honda motors...just as good?

Last edited:

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Bruce, diesel is really reliable, and diesel fuel will keep for long periods of time, as opposed to gasoline; so you could easily store a supply of diesel. But if you get a tri power, you do have options. The trick is to keep fuel on hand for when you need the generator; but that's just stating the obvious.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
That's why I thought the tri fuel option made sense. If the natural gas is still flowing (which is has many times when the electricity went out) then that's by far the cheapest fuel and it's virtually maintenance free. I plug the gen in and I'm done. No tank to keep refilling if the power is off for days or weeks or months. The day I bought my wife's 2005 Ford diesel Excursion is the same day diesel gas shot past premium! That day! I couldn't believe it. Been pretty much that way ever since. Still kinda pissed about that.

Last edited:

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
When you're looking at amps you need to look start up amp load too like when that fridge kicks on, they draw a lot more juice then. With all the big inductive loads you listed you're gonna need a big azz generator, like a trailer mounted one. Ditch all the creature comforts like the TV, 2 freezers, and 1 fridge if you can.

Plan on any generator failing, trust me, we test ours every month at our commo sites and they still fail 1/3 of the time when we fire them or when they come online during an an emergency. Have a plan B. Everything from bad fuel to mice chewing the fuel lines or wiring. Murphy has no favorites.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Honda doesn't make a tri fuel gen nor do their commercial gens go up to 8000. http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/generators/

That's why I was looking at the WINCO option. It would give me 8000, tri fuel and a Honda motor. http://www.best-standby-generators.c...ating-reviews/ I went and added up all the amps and want more power than I will likely need. We could actually shut everything off and run the pool equipt or A/C with this big a unit.

Of course, it's illegal in CA. But frankly I don't give a damn, I can get it in NV or AZ and drive it home. F this state and it's emission regulations. The reviews from owners are great...especially those who use it with Nat. Gas. One review is a guy from Cupertino who says everyone up there uses this model. I can place it out by the pool pump equipt (w/ sound barrier) and never hear it. I built a storage shed on the side of my house that is rodent-proof. Plus I will have a heavy canvas zip up bag made for it to keep dust out. The N/G burns clean so I shouldn't have to worry much about fuel aging issues. Another plus is I can take it with me if I need to power a hunting cabin or something. Am I overlooking anything?

Last edited:

Top Bottom