Finally! D13 opening weekend

acewhite

Reaction score
Ive spent the last 6 weeks hiking- watching- investigating- and getting a feel for the deer activity in my chosen area.
I think I'm all dialed in- good luck to everyone else hunting this weekend!

acewhite

Reaction score
As usual tons of "hunters" on opening day. Luckily my little sweet spot is off the beaten path. I knew I wouldn't be the only person headed down this steep little 4x4 trail to some fresh springs and plenty of fresh sign, but this was a unexpected find at 5 am. Blocked entire trail

Attachments

acewhite

Reaction score
Ya so this sorta threw a hitch into the plan- but I wasn't going to let it ruin my morning. After a sketchy back-up the trail to a somewhat flat spot, I got turned around and parked. Grabbed my gear and headlamp, and hiked back down the trail a few miles to the first spring. As I got within 100 yards, I spotted a nice sized doe headed down the hillside. She spotted me too, but didn't seem very surprised, or scared. After eyeballing each other, she continued her path down and circled around ahead of me to the spring and started sipping. Coolest thing I've ever seen- she knew I was there, had little worries and went about her biz. I took a seat and watched her a bit, asking her in my head to call down her boyfriend. After what seemed to be 30 minutes, she trotted off and continued her day. While that hunt didn't end with a kill, it did leave me with that awesome memory.

acewhite

Reaction score
word was all was ok- but I also know they were having a hell of a time retrieving it. 4x4 trail all the way down, tight spot, no recovery points on the truck.

twbowhunter

Reaction score
That's were you can't fix stupid comes in to play what could they possibly be ��

perdizgunner

Reaction score
I have seen this before on opening day with a close friend, he got off graveyard shift and with no sleep rolled out to his deer spot in the Gorman area. Around 4am, he fell asleep and rolled his new truck, the roll bar saved him in this instance. God bless him.

Stevehazard

Reaction score
So he is actually on the trail right there?

I'm trying to envision how or why he ended up on his side like that. He drive way too far up the embankment trying to avoid those dumb rocks? Sometimes it's best to get out and either manhandle those things off the trail or scope your line out on foot first. And sometimes it's better to just walk that last bit. I can definitely see judging things wrong in the dark though too.

blazintowers

Reaction score
yah the pic through me off, looks like the truck is suspended in air almost and hanging on the side of the embankment. I cant count how many times I have almost driven off the road looking at a deer...I know I know keep your darn eyes on the road!

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
You would think a winch and a boulder would get it right back on its wheels, The question is how did he roll it ? looks pretty steep walls both sides, unless he was riding with his driverside wheels up on the left wall and just got to the point of no return and laid it over on its side, looks like it was a gentle settling.

Last edited:

acewhite

Reaction score
Steep narrow forest trail in a F250 isn't always a good idea. It was doable but the guy obviously didn't have the skills or got distracted. From the looks of it I think he just drove too far up the embankment and tipped her over
Heres my rig

Attachments

acewhite

Reaction score
well this weekends a bust- I teach apprenticeship school every other Sat so its one more week to wait before I get to hit the mountains again. Good luck to everyone

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
I passed on two legal bucks. I came across two shooter bucks in the late evening, long story short, I ran out of light and just could no longer see antler, so I backed out and took the long way around, so as to not spook them. Absolutely no rutting activity, with the more mature bucks that I saw having no interest in the does. Seen a couple loner bucks, 3 spikes, and several does.

Top Bottom