finally got my cam to take some pics

hickstick

Reaction score
after a couple rolls of nothing but trees and bushes....I set it up on a big tree (about 25" dia.) facing south/southwest (from suggestions on here) on and old cart road with a run crossing it into an adjacent pasture.  the camera is a hawkeye jr.

heres the best pic:
8pnter

(Edited by hickstick at 12:02 pm on July 18, 2002)

hickstick

Reaction score
I also forgot to add that because of other suggestions from this board I also saved a bunch, cause I got the negatives developed for 2.50 and then only had the frames with stuff in them printed for another buck and a half.  

THANKS GUYS!

pietromarc

Reaction score
awesome buck. I am still waiting for the 24 exps to run out on my first cam! its been in the woods for two weeks.

shufigo

Reaction score
Now that's the way it's supposed to work!!! Nice shot!

Shrewshooter

Reaction score
Nice Pic! Is that a none typical or maybe it just has a drop tyne? If you look at the left side of the rack it looks like the main beam on the left is pointing towards the back of the deer. Maybe it's just my eyes. Anyway it would be a good one to keep an eye on for the season. Mike

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Fine looking buck hickstick. Wonder what that front deer was sporting for head gear.

hickstick

Reaction score
yea...I noticed that too mike.  definitely the largest one I've seen on this property.  two years ago someone took a large ten point from an adjacent parcel.  apparantly he had spent a week in the big woods of northern new hampshire and saw nothing.  came home saturday and decided to head out for the last couple hours.  parked his truck at the spot he's never hunted before, walked in a couple hundered yards and took a 10pt in a hour...hows that for luck.

this is a small to medium sized (about a mile x a mile x a mile triangle) woodlot that is slowly being encroached by development.  the town finally bought a large chunk for conservation, that abutts the parcel that I have permission to hunt.    The only major hassle with all of this is on the opposite side of the woodlot from our parcel is a nursery that grows all kinds of plants trees and shrubs.  they clean about about 15 deer a year on a crop control permit and that usually puts a dent into my hunting opportunities.  so last year I decided to try a food plot to keep as many of the herd on our side of the lot as possible.  planted a small plot of biologic full draw and they mowed it down to the ground as soon as it got about 6 inches high.  I only did the 2pound sample bag last year and they only seemed to eat the rape seed, so this year I bought a 10pound bag of dwarf essex rape from cooperseeds.com.  will keep you posted on how it works out.

(Edited by hickstick at 6:46 am on July 19, 2002)

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Hickstick >> that is a nice buck. Things are looking good for you.

You'll recognize him as soon as he walkes under your tree this year.

Good Luck.

MBullism

Reaction score
Hi hickstick.. that deer looks awful familiar, LOL.  and it just happens that my woo-hoo pic came from a 1 mile X 1 mile X 1mile triangle that the town just set aside as conservation land, hehe. (true story).  Can't place the nursery or the foodplot yet, but I'll find it!  You bringing coffee opening day?

hickstick

Reaction score
he he he...never go in the woods without it....now,a second cup from which to offer drink from is a different story :rofl

without getting too specific :smile-big-blue:  this is in central mass......where abouts are you?

(Edited by hickstick at 6:00 am on July 20, 2002)

(Edited by hickstick at 6:01 am on July 20, 2002)

hickstick

Reaction score
well..that narrows it down.  :wink-yellow:

ok....from worcester....east? west? north? south?  :smile-big-blue:

I live in hudson but hunt near where I grew up, just east of worcester.  doing a lot more hunting in CT now though.  saw 20+ deer in 6 or 8 hours on stand down there.  thats a lifetimes worth in central mass.

Top Bottom