Finally got the RS PIR

snuffysmith

Reaction score
I finally ran across a RS PIR after checking with every store from here to Missoula. I thought the RS PIR would take care of the problem I'm having with my Pentax auto-focus taking too many pics at one time, but it's even worse now. I've been tinkering with a PIR off an alarm system and it seemed to work great, just making the camera take too many pics. The camera would fire 3 times when the PIR was tripped. First pic was ok as it had a flash, but the next 2 pics were always without flash as the flash capacitor didn't have the time to recharge. I have the camera wired up and the relay is in place using the RS PIS and now the dang thing is taking a series of 4-5 pics each time the PIR if activated, first with flash and the rest without flash.
My question is, is this normal for even the Canon Owl cameras too or is it just my Pentax that's causing it? Also, I need suggestions on how to get this thing down to taking one pic at a time. I have everything wired exactly like it shows on the webpage here, but it's almost like I'm getting too much relay bounce or something in there. What about trying a solid-state relay or at least something with a faster opening rate on the relay?.....I need help
Thanks Folks

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Make sure you are in "Chime" and not Alarm mode,in alarm mode it will fire several pictures when triggered.

snuffysmith

Reaction score
PT,
  I checked on the meter and getting about 2 seconds in Chime mode and about 28 seconds in Alarm mode. I'm getting the series of 3-5 pics in Chime mode. I'm thinking about just taking the relay out and building a transistor/switching circuit or maybe try to find a solid-state relay that won't stay closed so long.
This is getting frustrating....lol

Tinhorn

Reaction score
SS,

you mean if you manually short the 2 wires together coming out of the camera, and keep them shorted, the cam will keep taking pix's ?

Tinhorn

snuffysmith

Reaction score
Yeah, long as the wires are shorted together, the camera keeps taking pics until they're disconnected. That wouldn't be such a problem, but the first pic is the only one with flash. The flash capacitor isn't charging quick enough for the other two.

bat

Reaction score
hey snuffysmith, that is not normal on the Canon Owls, don't know about the Pentax???  It sounds like you are creating a "electrical" circuit with the Pentax instead of the "shorting" circuit that the Canon Owls have when you connect the wires together.   Just my 2¢.  bat

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
This IS common on a lot of cams. When I have one that does this, I try to adjust the trigger hold to no more than 4 sec. The 2400FF and the Fuji 60AF are 2 that will both keep taking pictures as long as  the shutter and ground are shorted.

Correction, the Fuji was not one of them. I can't believe it, I MADE A MISTAKE.

:jaw-drop:

(Edited by ****** at 1:39 pm on July 18, 2002)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Ha Ha HH (that's a lot of H's)

I've only made one mistake my whole life, once I thought I was wrong but it turned out I was right after all ! ! !  :confused-yellow:

Tinhorn

bat

Reaction score
****** gets one mark on the board           1         Date:July 18, 2002 hehe, just kidding HH if I put a mark on the board every time I made a mistake it would be full now!  :rofl  bat

budman

Reaction score
hi, I don't know as much as the others but some help is better then no help. I have the cannon owl pf . I was haveing a problem sum what like this wher the cam would keep taking pic. I got so mad i went and got the regent motion sensor. It work so much better with the regent sensor.
  I'm now going to attempt the rs sensor agine. I found with the regent sensor that if you  use 2 spst switches insted of 1spst and 1spdt,  it work the first time. with the spdt ther are 6 prongs and if they aren't hooked up right your just going to keep the circuit open all the time. don't know if any of this will work but anything is worth a shot.
              good luck.

Top Bottom