Finally Hacked!

esaunders63

Reaction score
Okay I finally hacked the 426 delay timer. R12 is the resistor that changes the time. It comes with a 75K that gives about 2 seconds. Change it out to a higher one. I tried a 220K and that about doubled or tirpled the time. So I am guessing for about 10 secs you will need a 500k or so.
esaunders

esaunders63

Reaction score
After further tinkering I found that a 1megohm resistor was giving me about 7-8 seconds. That is the biggest resistor I have so can't tell you times on anything higher. Hope this helps,
esaunders

W

wildebeast

Good work, this will help those that still use the rs sensors. I don't use a delay but love the rs sensors.

Just that on the trails here I don't get but several pics a week so don't want to miss anything.

cliff

esaunders63

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has tried any other size resistors and what kind of time did you get from them?
esaunders

brian2

Reaction score
Which sensor are you talking about? tried to do a search on it but only video cam stuff came up! thanks Brian
could you also maybe include a picture

Coondog

Banned
Reaction score
I think that is supposed to be the Radio Shack 426 sensor... Just a typo on esaunders part....

Killet

Reaction score
so actually you could solder multiple resistors to a multi-position switch and use that as a settable delay? Would that work? What about connecting the resistors in a series to make an even longer delay, like up to a minute? Will they work like that?

Thx for teh info!

esaunders63

Reaction score
Sorry if there was a mistake,
It is for the Radio Shack 49-426 pir sensor about $20 if you catch it on sale.
It works just like changing the resistor on the ms-20, to get the timing you want.
Also, I have never tried the switch with the multiple resistors but have heard others talk about it before and it should work fine.
esaunders

bat

Reaction score
esaunders63, I changed the title of the topic for you, just in case someone does a search later for this topic.
bat

dampfoot

Reaction score
I have just made my first cam using the rs426 and am interested in the delay. Can you give me more info?

esaunders63

Reaction score
Sure, just take out the R12 resistor. To find it look at the front of the board(side with the pir). To take it out heat the solder on the backside of the resistor and slowly pull the resistor out it should come out easy if not the solder is not melted. MAKE SURE YOU ARE MELTING THE SOLDER ON THAT RESISOTR ONLY. Do both sides to take the resistor totally out.
Like I said earlier a 1 megohm resistor will give you about 8 seconds. I bought mine at Radio Shack. You have to bend it just right to fit back in the hole of the old one. Put in the new one and solder the back. make sure your new solder does not cross with any other solder or points on the back and you are done.
Hope this helps.
Does someone know how to calculate how much time different resisotrs will give?
On this sensor a 75k gives about 2 seconds
and a 1 megohm or (1,000) gives about 8 seconds.
thanks
esaunders

Killet

Reaction score
exactly how does the sensor work with the 1 meg resistor in it? Im using the led that came with the sensor for a walktest lite, if your getting an 8 sec delay does that mean once it picks up motion it goes off and wont come back on for 8 seconds or it continues to pick up motion if its present but doesnt send the trip signal to the cam for another 8 seconds?

I guess what Im asking is whats the easiest way to test the delay after the resistor is installed?

Also how high can you go and how much delay can be gotten using the resistor method?

Thx a ton!

bat

Reaction score
Originally posted by esaunders63@Aug 3 2004, 09:10 PM
Does someone know how to calculate how much time different resisotrs will give?
On this sensor a 75k gives about 2 seconds
and a 1 megohm or (1,000) gives about 8 seconds.
esaunders63, several of us did this type of modification way back when we had the 425 sensors to get more delay out of the pir(actually I don't know if you could call it a delay it just stays activated holding the shutter button down you might say for whatever value that the changed resistor will give you). You can read up on some of this using this link: http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/index....topic=1891&st=0

I can't understand the part about changing the resistor from 75K to 1M didn't give you more delay then this... 2 sec. to 8 sec. Course I am not an electrical information person either. If the 426 acts like the 425 keep in mind you don't want to get the delay over 3 minutes if you can get that high with the change.
bat

esaunders63

Reaction score
Let me explain how I understand how the RS 426 works and what I mean by "delay".
When you first get the unit and turn it on chime it goes through the warm up period. One thing to notice is that the led blinks about every 2 secs. Anyway, after it warms up and you trip the sensor it will stay triggered for about 2 seconds. Like bat said this holds the shutter button down for that amount of time. The weird (to me at least) thing about this sensor is if it is sensing motion the whole time it will "pulse" or reset itself after two seconds like it just picked up motion for the first time. During this "pulse" the shutter is no longer held down but when the pulse is over it goes back to being tripped.
Another way to simplify this is if there is motion in front of the sensor for 10 seconds then it would take approximately 5-6 pics ( 1 every 2 seconds). And with the same thinking if motion is there for 30 seconds it would take about 15 pics ( 1 every 2 seconds).
It is easy to see why I wanted to get away from that since 1 deer standing in front of the cam for 45 seconds or so, eating or something like that, would trigger off almost a whole roll of film ( If you are not using digital).
By switching the resistor to a 1 megohm it lengthens the time in between pulses to around 8 seconds. That way 1 deer standing in front of the cam for a minute would only trigger about 7 or 8 pics ( 60 seconds/8 seconds delay time).

Killet: after you put the new resistor in the led will stay lit for about 8 seconds instead of two. You can also notice on the warm-up mode that it will only blink every 8 seconds as opposed to 2. Hope that helps.

Yeah, bat I would have to agree I thought that 1 megohm would make the time much longer but I have tried it on 2 different sensors and am getting about 8 sconds on each.

bat

Reaction score
esaunders63, are you doing this change using the "Alarm" mode by chance?? Just wondering here,
bat

bat

Reaction score
Thanks, I might be confused a little on the 426 but I was thinking the Chime mode was 30 sec. already. I need to go back and read up on it a little I guess. Never used the 426 but have did several 425's.
bat

longbeard48

Reaction score
Bat, I was thinking that I got about a 30 second delay "out of the box," too. Can't say for sure because I sold mine to a neighbor. The Emerson boards and the Amertacs work out to about 30 seconds, too. LB

Latest Posts

Top Bottom