finally scored

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Hunted a ranch up near Carmel this weekend. In the dark I walk out into the field as my buddy sends me to the far end. I ask where are the birds roosted? He says "I dunno, somewhere up on that hill." I'm thinking, great that really narrows it down. As I continue to walk up to the far end of the big meadow birds start putting on the roost. I'm thinking I just blew it. I set up quick like and popped up my blind next to some old farm equipment. I set my two hen dekes out with my new B Mobile right next to them about 12 yards from my blind. The B mobile was custom outfitted with a Nate-rigged real turkey fan from my brother's gobbler last year off the same ranch. I crawl back into the blind and freeze waiting for first light. It is 32 degrees and the wind is howling. Not good turkey weather. I had to strap my pack to a hub on the windward side of my blind to keep it from blowing over. 20 min later, as it got blue light I let off a few yelps to see what I was working with. Instant response of several gobbles and they are close. I shut up and let it get light. I soon hear wings a-flappin'. I look up and they are coming off the roost. They fly over me and out into the field 350-400 yards from me, and probably 200 yards out in front of my buddies. It's still not light enough to shoot so I wait it out. Afer a few minutes I can see my pins so I get on the slate and let out a few yelps. The wind keeps them from hearing my calls. The birds are all toms and they were beating the crap out of each other. All the toms we saw were grouped up so I think the hens were nesting. Finally I got a lull in the wind. I leaned out the window and really grinded on the call to make it loud. Instant gobbles from two of the toms. They poke their heads up and start looking my way. A couple more calls and they spot my dekes. They break from the flock and start running my way. They hang up at about 200 yards but another series of yelps gets them back on their way. I put the call down, grab my bow ad knock an arrow. They are charging it. They get close and you can tell they are about to beat the crap out of B mobile. The lead one is the biggest. I draw, pick a spot and let rip. All I hear is an odd "thwack!" and in my sight picture I see my arrow flying through the air sideways. It takes a nano second to register what happened. I look down to see a hole 1/2" below the window. CRAP! The big bird I shot at is long gone and the other one is making tracks quickly. I grab my call and yelp a few times. He stops, turns back around, and struts right back in. I throw the call down and knock another arrow. He is broadside 3 yards past my dekes in full strut. I pick a spot at the top of the thigh and fling it. PERFECT! Bird starts flapping and is making it's way into the brush. He makes it about 25 yards and I'm just about to jump out of the blind to run him down when he plops over and flaps his last. Hell Yeah! I was stoked.

He's got a beard just over 8.5" and about 3/4" spurs.

I've never given turkeys much serious thought and my previous experiences with them have been incredibly frustrating. It was very rewarding to have everything work right and to be able to call in and take a mature gobbler the classic way. I shot him with a Rocket Stricknine broadhead. It worked perfectly.

Most of the birds in this area of CA are either Rios or Merriams, but there are a few transplanted Easterns too. I know this is not a Merriam and I think it is a Rio, can anyone confirm?

Attachments

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Nice work!!!!

I'll be out the first time this year after lunch on some private prop. in Escondido.

Kentuck

Reaction score
Great job and nice bird. Thanks for sharing.

knoopr55

Reaction score
Great job, I am lucky just to do that with a shotgun. Keep it going

Mikey88

Reaction score
I did that exact same thing last week! I called in a nice tom to 16 yards and let my arrow fly unfortunately my pins were clear but my arrow wasn't. I hit the edge of the blind and missed the shoot through mesh by 1/2 inch! The arrow hit a foot in front of him and he was gone! I just sat there and wanted to cry!

Awesome bird with the bow. Turkeys with a bow can be very frustrating but well worth it when you connect!
There are one tough bird and have a really small kill zone!

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Congrats on a beautiful Rio. Total respect for you bow hunters..........

One Track

Reaction score
Congratulations!

I heard the story on my voicemail, after the after party and it was awesome.

Official score: 8 11/16 beard. 12/16 ad 13/16 spurs. Total: 10 4/16. Just measured it for CBH about an hour ago. Nice bow kill brutha!

Advertisement

Top Bottom