Finally...The finished product

dalliwacker

Reaction score
Yes it is true.  What started out weeks ago as bits and pieces of parts and continued on to be chaos is now a finished product.  The pics were taken w/ a pc cam so they are a bit fuzzy.  Hopefully I should have some better ones in the near future.  If Jesse or anyone would like me to post some tips for the Quality Kits timer let me know, so anyone in my position (an idiot of electronics) can fill in the gaps of what is not covered on this website and the instuctions.  Many thanks to those who helped me out.  I look forward to getting it out in the bear woods, getting some good shots, and sharing them with the rest of you...Jim

(Edited by dalliwacker at 1:59 am on May 21, 2001)

gizz

Reaction score
Way to go!
That looks like a nice heavy duty unit.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Man, that's one heavy duty camera, Congrats!  Looks good....

Thats a dual purpose cam, you could use that cam as a dead fall weight and Konk one of those bears on the head with it, should work good either way  :)

Tinhorn

I

IdyHo

Looks good, but let me tell you what happened to mine:  I have mine in an ammo can also and set it by a bear bait.  Came back the next day to see that a sow tried to chew it up!  The glass lens for my digital event timer was shattered and tooth and claw marks all over the place.  My concern with your game cam is that you have the motion sensor mounted externally.  Mine is inside with the fresnel lens flush with the ammo can.  Had it been external, I have no doubt it would have been destroyed.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Well IdyHo

What do Bear Tonsils look like anyway????  

Tinhorn

dalliwacker

Reaction score
Idyho

I started thinking about that after I mounted the sensor to the main unit.  (Here I have a bear proof container w/ a plastic housing mounted outside of it---doesn't make sense)  Oh well, I think I will take my chances this season and see what happens.  How do you have your sensor mounted inside the ammo can?  I was also thinking about putting a few mothballs in a sack and hanging it beside the cam.  I don't know if that would do any good or not, I guess it is worth a shot.

I

IdyHo

What happened is that a sow came to my bait with her 2 yearling cubs.  I had the cam set to take a pic every 30 secs.  I placed the cam on a tree 15 feet from the bait after handling the bait (bread, doughnuts and frying grease smell on my hands).  Either the flash going off every 30 secs or the smell of the bait on the ammo can - not sure which it was - pissed off or attracted the sow.  One of the pics shows the two cubs on the bait barrel with the sow's ear about 2 inches away from the camera lens.  Two other pics are a complete blurr since she was too close for the Owl to focus.  After that incident, I made sure to clean the outside of the cam enclosure well and then set it up BEFORE handling the bait.  At the subsequent baits, the bears behaved themselves.  Also, I changed the time between pics from one every 30 secs to one every 3 mins.  Sure wish I had a scanner to show you some of these pics.

I'm using the Rat Shack PIR and have it mounted inside at the bottom of the ammo can with the fresnel lens silicone-glued to the outside of the can, flush.

(Edited by IdyHo at 4:53 pm on May 22, 2001)

Top Bottom