Finally!

flintknapper

Reaction score
First of all, thanks to all on this page who shared their knowledge of camera building. I was able to successfully build one that takes better pictures than the commercial ones...with no previous electrical experience!

This past week my camera came through for me big. Even though I had previously taken pictures of nice bucks(one of which I got during bow season), I had never gotten a picture of an old elusive buck that I have been hunting for 3 years.

I first saw him in 1999 during the January rut here in Alabama. He was in a thickly wooded ravine. I passed up on a shot at the big 10pter(the most massive deer I'd ever seen) because I didn't want to risk a bad shot in the brush. That was one of my first hunts on this land, that is why I didn't see him earlier.

I did not see him again that season, but I did learn his trails. I found one of his sheds the next fall from his 99 rack.

The next year I tried to get him with my bow on opening morning of gun season. I watched him for nearly an hour as he cautiously and slowly walked straight at me for 200 yards. He got within 60 yards and veered off. I heard a shot later that morning and thought that he might have been killed. I did not see him again that season. His trails and scrapes were mostly unused until the last week of the 2000-2001 season when I found some fresh tracks that I thought might be his.

I found what was left of his other 1999-2000 shed last summer. I started putting out a camera on a food plot near his area. He never came to it. I still had hope though.

Well, I put the camera back in his old area on a scrapeline a couple of days before Christmas. Christmas Eve, at 8pm, I got a camera shot of something. I almost thought it was a false shot.
Well, in the corner of the picture is a left main beam that is amazingly similar to the shed of the big buck.
I only got a shot of the main beam and 3 points, but I am sure that it is him. He saw the camera I suppose and hasn't been back since. But now, I have reason to believe that he is still out there. I will camp out in the stand for him every chance I get for the remainder of the season. I'll let you all know if I get him!

Thanks guys for giving me the tool to give me the hope of seeing this big buck again!

Stever

Reaction score
Great Job!
Now we all can't wait for the whole picture. Good luck

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Hello flintknapper,

that is the whole fun of these camera's as you never know whats out there until you get a pic or two......hehehe
when you get lucky enough to get a good buck on film it lets you know where to spend your time to maybe get a shot at him.
i had several on film that i hunted this season here in GA. but they all beat me at their game of staying hid..lol but maybe next year as the season just closed here.
i usually come to AL. to hunt some as it is not too far away. i really like hunting AL. during the january rut but the weather sometimes is tough...hehehe

good luck and i hope you get the one your after then you can show us the before and after pics.

Later,

flintknapper

Reaction score
Gun Doc,

I grew up near Columbus, Ga. I liked the rut around there much better. They rutted there in early November, with relatively mild weather. Great prerut hunting there with the bow. These bucks in southern AL are tough. They wait til it gets cold before they start! Seriously, last year they didn't start rutting good until it started to get warm in late Jan. I even saw one chasing a doe in March during turkey season. Right now, the bucks I am hunting are working scrapes really well, but all activity is at night.
As the moon gets smaller things should start heating up. I think it'll be peaking within the next 2 weeks.

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Howdy again flintknapper,

sounds like you might need some help....hehehe

i usually make a trip to AL. every year sometime in january but don't know if i will get to make it this year or not due to work going on.

i usually hunt somewhere around Selma and back up towards Birmingham.
there is a pretty good patch of government land that i hunt sometimes and have had a little luck in past years there.

where bout you located ?

Later,

Sporty

Reaction score
I finally scored on the trash picking up. As I was walking the creek I was fishing I reached down to pick someones beer can, I picked it up and it was a full beer! Whoohoo!!
Sporty

songdog

Reaction score
Ummmm... you might want to make sure that was actually beer.

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Songdog,

Maybe it was beer that had just been warmed up first. :smile-wink:

Regards,
Paul

Latest Posts

Top Bottom