Finally.....

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Well this spring has been a little tough on me here in NC. Because of my Mr MOM duties I usually don't hit the woods until 8 - 8:30. Not that the birds aren't still there, but I haven't been hearing many gobbles. Today I slipped into the woods and was heading along the edge of a field when the farmer came so I turned around to leave. When I got to my truck he was coming out of his field so I stopped to talk. Nice guy. He actually lease's the farming rights to the land that I have permission to hunt on. Once he knew I was legal he commenced to telling me more about the property.
Since he was leaving I decided to go back out.

I headed out through the woods to another field that he told me about. Got there saw nothing so I was going to go around the edge. I walked about 10 ft and see two gobblers in the field. Got behind a tree eased back into the woods and set up a decoy behind me and to the left. Got back to my tree and since the tree was between me and the birds I just got on my knee's.

Let out a few clucks and yelps and they both gobbled and turned towards me. There was some brush in front of the tree so I could ease my head out on each side to monitor thier progress.

I saw another gobbler about 150 yards away go into the woods to my left. I was hoping he wouldn't get behind me. Anyway the two gobblers kept coming my way. so I quit calling. At about 50 yards I clucked, they gobbled.

I was hopeing they would see the deke off to my left but the kept coming to the tree I was behind.

Now they are about 10 ft away and one putt's. I started cutting and they started gobbleing. I leaned to the right and laid one out. It was pretty cool.

Welby

Reaction score
Congrats Arrowhead!  Way to go!

I know what you mean about the Mr. Mom duties...they really cramped my hunting freedom this year too!

That is a great picture and a beautiful bird.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Good bird, That is a beautiful bird.  :bounce-green:

(Edited by TNDEERHUNTER at 12:30 pm on May 2, 2002)

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Congrat's  Arrowhead ,

nice bird and now you know persistance pays off.....lol
looks like that Benelli done it's job well

you also learned of another bird to give chase to , so give em another go if you get the chance before your season goes out.

Later,

woodsman

Reaction score
Congrats ! Mr. Mom duties I'm glad it's not just me ,some times the kids are real good and it's all woth it. :toothless:

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
Nice job Arrowhead.  I could feel the excitement in your words.  Now I'm ticked-off.  I've had the worst season in 13 years.  Oh well, next year will be better.

killinturks

Reaction score
congratulations on a good job. it pays to hunt later in the day. i know some guys at work who just hunt flydown and go home. their success rate is low for the shop. just because you cnt be there at daybreak doesnt mean they dry up and dissappear. nice looking beard on that one.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom