Fingers crossed!

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
I have no doubt you will have an opportunity to take a bear. Your recent track record would indicate you know where they live and how to hunt there.

Now do you want an all black black bear or do you want one with the lighter color?
Decisions decisions.

Maybe the same hikers will stop by this year and help you retrieve your bear. I know they were a lot of help last year. LOL

DJE

Reaction score
I would be happy with any of those. But for some reason the third one seems most appealing. Good luck.

Zanglo

Reaction score
Game trails, watering holes, food sources.
I have some up down south here in D14 on and around some creeks and meadows. Having trouble locating them. I’ll just have to keep at it, And try and fond some food, thanks!

Zanglo

Reaction score
I wish I could help you more. Are you finding game trails?
I found a lot of deer sign near the creek. Not much food mostly grasses and some berry bushiest without berries. But I didn’t see deer on the cams either. Deep prints when I showed up to put the cameras up. Not many droppings or anything. saw a few hikers on them and nothing else. I was wondering- can you do scrapes and scent for bear and mule deer like you can with whitetail?

dthome

Reaction score
If you're getting hikers, I'd find a different area. Hike off the main trail until you find more faint trails that only game use. They're pretty easy to see, but you need to go cross-country for awhile until you find areas of use.

Hike ridgelines where north and south-facing slopes meet; hike the edges of creeks where alders give way to conifers. These are very good areas. Bears love alder thickets. Search for scat at the edges of these thickets.

You won't find a ton of use at your berry patches until the berries appear, so don't forget to keep checking.

Zanglo

Reaction score
I’ve never heard that about the alders, thank you! I read reviews on hiking trails a lot of times to see if they to about bear. Hunters won’t give their spots away but hikers do. An aspen stand nearby had a few sightings. I haven’t been up there yet but I’m thinking about moving the cameras there. What do the bears eat in summer before the berries and acorns are around? Do you ever see bear in chaparral? I try to avoid it. But if they can hunt bear in the Arizona desert, I wonder if I’m missing something.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
If you cannot find berries then in our area the other food crop that I see bears on are acorns. I have seen huckleberry acorns at high altitude be ripe enough for deer and bears in early archery season. Huckleberry oaks tend to be more of a small ground hugging bush than a tree. I see them at up to 7000'. Most other acorns in our area aren't ripe by early archery season but there are some around here (1000') that are dropping now.

In my experience with deer and bear water is much easier for them to find in the Sierras than a good food source is. I tend to look more for a good food source but it is hard to ignore game sign near waterholes.

Top Bottom