Fire in saugus

Status
Not open for further replies.

so cal hunter

Reaction score
I know this message is not about hunting but just had some concern for our other jesses'hunting page guy's that live out in this area and hope you are all safe and out of harm's way!!!!  One ''good'' thing ? is that this will help for new growth in the area. for the animial's. take care and be safe!!!   so cal hunter.   p.s. 18 more day's till notification of  tag drawing!!!!

so cal hunter

Reaction score
I know this message is not about hunting but just had some concern for our other jesses'hunting page guy's that live out in this area and hope you are all safe and out of harm's way!!!!  One ''good'' thing ? is that this will help for new growth in the area. for the animial's. take care and be safe!!!   so cal hunter.   p.s. 18 more day's till notification of  tag drawing!!!!

songdog

Reaction score
Lots of smoke but I'm fine.  Hook is closer but he's still way in the clear.  We've had about a half a dozen fires up here in the last 60 days.  All in all, it should be great for hunting the next few years.  Some of those areas are really, really thick.

songdog

Reaction score
Lots of smoke but I'm fine.  Hook is closer but he's still way in the clear.  We've had about a half a dozen fires up here in the last 60 days.  All in all, it should be great for hunting the next few years.  Some of those areas are really, really thick.

Dakota

Reaction score
I left my new truck windows open last nite and woke up to a cab full of ashes this morning, dang it!  15000 acres and counting, only 5% contained due to the increase in acreage.  That area is a SoCal Jungle.  It needs to burn but some poor folks are loosing thier homes.  What an awful feeling.  I lost mine in the earthquake, but at least I got to save my belongings.  These poor folks can't even get back to thier homes to save what they can carry.

Dakota

Reaction score
I left my new truck windows open last nite and woke up to a cab full of ashes this morning, dang it!  15000 acres and counting, only 5% contained due to the increase in acreage.  That area is a SoCal Jungle.  It needs to burn but some poor folks are loosing thier homes.  What an awful feeling.  I lost mine in the earthquake, but at least I got to save my belongings.  These poor folks can't even get back to thier homes to save what they can carry.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
I'm getting alot of ash(in my truck too Dakota)and smoke. I feel really bad for the folks that lost their homes, but as far as the areas that don't have homes to destroy.....burn baby burn. The majority of what's burning hasn't burned for years, and was pretty much impassable/unusable to anything bigger than a rabbit. D11 has been good to me, and I'm really looking forward to hunting this burn for many years to come.           Scott

One thing I'd like to see is for the Forest Service to shut this area down for a season or so to let it regenerate itself, and let the wildlife come back in and take a foothold before the roadhunters start hammering them.

(Edited by grtwythunter at 5:04 am on June 7, 2002)

grtwythunter

Reaction score
I'm getting alot of ash(in my truck too Dakota)and smoke. I feel really bad for the folks that lost their homes, but as far as the areas that don't have homes to destroy.....burn baby burn. The majority of what's burning hasn't burned for years, and was pretty much impassable/unusable to anything bigger than a rabbit. D11 has been good to me, and I'm really looking forward to hunting this burn for many years to come.           Scott

One thing I'd like to see is for the Forest Service to shut this area down for a season or so to let it regenerate itself, and let the wildlife come back in and take a foothold before the roadhunters start hammering them.

(Edited by grtwythunter at 5:04 am on June 7, 2002)

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
I second the well wishes for anyone who lives out in the brush land... I hope your homes and family are safe. This does not apply just to the people in the forementioned area. (Saugus)

This is going to be a very dangerous fire season, and I hope everyone has a minimum twice the recommended fire clearance established around your house.

100 years of fire suppression is really going to take it's toll on So. Ca. this year. The + part of this is that it really needs to burn, it is part of it's life cycle. The Indians had it right. When they would leave for their winter grounds in the desert every year, they would light the place off when the Santa Ana's blew. The Indian's didn't have college degrees, but knew better than todays biologists.

The USFS, BLM, etc.. need to start dong control burns in mass quantities, and not just before summer starts. They should be doing these during the rainy season. It is better to burn the old undergrowth, and the leaves off of the 70 yr old stuff, but leave the roots there for erosion control.

Human encroachment into brush land has made control burns almost unfeasable due to many factors, but I think the biggest factor is the EPA. (could be wrong, but if I remember correctly, that's who my Dad used to fight with when his USFS district wanted to do control burns)

I pray that everyone's house remains safe during this year, but on the other hand I watch these fires and have to agree with grtwythunter......... BURN BABY!

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
I second the well wishes for anyone who lives out in the brush land... I hope your homes and family are safe. This does not apply just to the people in the forementioned area. (Saugus)

This is going to be a very dangerous fire season, and I hope everyone has a minimum twice the recommended fire clearance established around your house.

100 years of fire suppression is really going to take it's toll on So. Ca. this year. The + part of this is that it really needs to burn, it is part of it's life cycle. The Indians had it right. When they would leave for their winter grounds in the desert every year, they would light the place off when the Santa Ana's blew. The Indian's didn't have college degrees, but knew better than todays biologists.

The USFS, BLM, etc.. need to start dong control burns in mass quantities, and not just before summer starts. They should be doing these during the rainy season. It is better to burn the old undergrowth, and the leaves off of the 70 yr old stuff, but leave the roots there for erosion control.

Human encroachment into brush land has made control burns almost unfeasable due to many factors, but I think the biggest factor is the EPA. (could be wrong, but if I remember correctly, that's who my Dad used to fight with when his USFS district wanted to do control burns)

I pray that everyone's house remains safe during this year, but on the other hand I watch these fires and have to agree with grtwythunter......... BURN BABY!

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
An interesting article:

Rain is nature's best weapon against a forest fire. Building on this premise, Wetzone Engineering of Huntington Beach, Calif., has designed a massive airship that would create localized storms, delivering as much as 60,000 gal. of artificial rain per hour. Water-drop aircraft that now directly bombard fires would instead release their loads over catch basins on top of the airship, explains Thomas Gagliano, Wetzone's chief executive officer and principal scientist.

Keeping a safe distance from the fire, the airship would take advantage of prevailing winds to evenly disperse the water in a spray that could vary from a mist to a monsoon. Stubborn hot spots would be attacked with a water cannon.

After the fire was extinguished, the airship could briefly touch down and pick up a seedling dispenser. Returning to the fire scene, it would pelt the terrain with tiny trees encased in protective, nutrient-filled packages. In its final pass over the burned land, the airship would water the seedlings.

Gagliano says builders of heavy-lift airships have expressed interest in building the floating firefighting platform

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
An interesting article:

Rain is nature's best weapon against a forest fire. Building on this premise, Wetzone Engineering of Huntington Beach, Calif., has designed a massive airship that would create localized storms, delivering as much as 60,000 gal. of artificial rain per hour. Water-drop aircraft that now directly bombard fires would instead release their loads over catch basins on top of the airship, explains Thomas Gagliano, Wetzone's chief executive officer and principal scientist.

Keeping a safe distance from the fire, the airship would take advantage of prevailing winds to evenly disperse the water in a spray that could vary from a mist to a monsoon. Stubborn hot spots would be attacked with a water cannon.

After the fire was extinguished, the airship could briefly touch down and pick up a seedling dispenser. Returning to the fire scene, it would pelt the terrain with tiny trees encased in protective, nutrient-filled packages. In its final pass over the burned land, the airship would water the seedlings.

Gagliano says builders of heavy-lift airships have expressed interest in building the floating firefighting platform

ranchwife

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that you all are doing okay.  I was watching the news last night and wondering if any JHP folks had lost their homes.  I admit I was worried and praying for all of you.  It is sad that homes are being lost, but all in all, fire is a good thing and is much needed.  If BLM, USFS, and CDF would get over the smokey bear syndrome and start burning, there wouldn't be many major fires and the wildlife and fish would prosper.  Too bad environmentalists can't see that.

ranchwife

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that you all are doing okay.  I was watching the news last night and wondering if any JHP folks had lost their homes.  I admit I was worried and praying for all of you.  It is sad that homes are being lost, but all in all, fire is a good thing and is much needed.  If BLM, USFS, and CDF would get over the smokey bear syndrome and start burning, there wouldn't be many major fires and the wildlife and fish would prosper.  Too bad environmentalists can't see that.

songdog

Reaction score
It's been really hot down here - 105 yesterday - so I open up all the windows at night when it cools down adn shut them first thing in the morning to keep the cool in.  Well, this morning I woke up to a thin layer of snow in my house.  Talk about a lot of ash...

songdog

Reaction score
It's been really hot down here - 105 yesterday - so I open up all the windows at night when it cools down adn shut them first thing in the morning to keep the cool in.  Well, this morning I woke up to a thin layer of snow in my house.  Talk about a lot of ash...

Brian S

Reaction score
Has "A place to shoot" burned down yet, when the fire first started it looked like it wasn't to far from it.

Brian S

Reaction score
Has "A place to shoot" burned down yet, when the fire first started it looked like it wasn't to far from it.

Hook

Reaction score
The fire is close to me, but all I got is a lot of smoke and ash. The area that is burning needed to be burned, like grtwythunter said, it hasnt burned in many years and the only animals that could through the stuff are rabbits and quail. That brush in the area was 8 ft tall. It is unfortunate that some people have lost their homes because of the fire.

Brian, I dont think A place to shoot burned but I cannot be certain.
I think that area will be great for deer and quail in the next few years. I look forward to hunting it.    

Hook

Reaction score
The fire is close to me, but all I got is a lot of smoke and ash. The area that is burning needed to be burned, like grtwythunter said, it hasnt burned in many years and the only animals that could through the stuff are rabbits and quail. That brush in the area was 8 ft tall. It is unfortunate that some people have lost their homes because of the fire.

Brian, I dont think A place to shoot burned but I cannot be certain.
I think that area will be great for deer and quail in the next few years. I look forward to hunting it.    

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom