First Annual JHP Coyote Hunt

songdog

Reaction score
What's the interest level in putting together an informal coyote hunt get together sometime in the next couple of months?  Nothing fancy but maybe a trip out to one of the SoCal desert locations where there's tons of land.  Pair up one rookie with one veteran and send everyone in different directions.

I'm sure if AZ has laws against hunting "contests" then CA would definitely have them but maybe the team with the biggest or most coyotes could get the first spot in the line for dinner that night.  I'll bring the trailer and grill up some tequilla-lime chicken as long as we're not talking 50 guys.

Might be a good chance to put some faces with names and get some of the guys new to predator hunting a little first hand experience with some of the guys who have been doing it for a while.

Just a thought...

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
I’m up for it. I have been looking into starting predator hunting. I always see them when out bird hunting in the Imperial Valley. Let my know the time and place.
wildbirdhunter

limit7

Reaction score
let me know when you are all going, so I can go and hunt your guzzler spots.....lol.   I am in.....

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Hey songdog-I've got a better idea for dinner. How about your famous coyote backstraps?  HAHA       Scott

songdog

Reaction score
Maybe the looser should have to eat the backstraps?  Better yet, any veteran who can't get his rookie partner a coyote has to eat the backstraps of another coyote... he he he he...

Now that's some pressure.

songdog

Reaction score
We'll probably do this in the high desert somewhere.  Plenty of land and coyotes.  

As for dates, how is the week between Christmas and New Years?  Sometimes it's great since a lot of guys have time off work but sometimes it means you have family in town, etc. (could be a benefit if you have a mother-in-law like mine).

Toss some dates out and we'll try and make it work for as many as possible.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I've been wanting to hunt yote's for quite some time now, but never had the guidance or oppurtunity.

I'm definately in!  Put me in the rookie column.

Stryder

Reaction score
Count me in in the rookie column. Sounds like ALOT of fun!!!
                       Stryder

paulc

Reaction score
count me in also.. put me in the rookie column.. just bought a electronic caller and cant wait to break it in.

foulshot

Reaction score
I'd be up for it also. One more for the rookie column.  SongDog, what type of weapon do you use.  Shotgun or Rifle.
Will we have the stickers by then?  Stupid question, I know.LOL

Bill W

Reaction score
If you guys would have a board newcomer along I might like to give it a try and put a few faces with the names around here.  I haven't hunted predators in a few years now but all this talk of varmit hunting is starting to get my interest peaked.

(the eating the backstraps sounds a little rough though)

Bill

songdog

Reaction score
Foulshot,

I'm guilty of having way too many (if that's possible) coyote guns.  A single bolt action .223 would suffice as a coyote gun but I tell my wife that's like having just one pair of shoes.  They keep your feet covered, don't they?  Who cares what color or style they are?  One pair for all occasions...

I mainly shoot rifles but I have a couple of shotguns that are pretty much predator specific.

The nice thing about coyotes is that you can shoot just about anything that you have.

Might be fun to bring along a few more rifles that you would expect to shoot to this event.  Plenty of time at night to sit around a big fire and oogle fine coyote rifles and argue about why this one is "best".  Probably some time mid day to try some of the other guys rifles on a ground squirrel or two as well.

gizz

Reaction score
Sounds like a good time to me although I'm on the other coast so I won't be able to go. Muzzleloader deer will be in that week so it won't be a total loss. Guess I'll just have to wait until after your hunt to hear the stories. Have fun!
gizz

Stever

Reaction score
Anyone from Ontario, Canada that wants to do this here let me know I got the spot!

Top Bottom