First bobcat of the season

songdog

Reaction score
First bobcat of the season from the Angeles National Forest near Templin Hwy.  Gun is a Savage 24f .22 Hornet over 12ga.  Shot him in the left eye with the Hornet at about 20 yards.

Bobcat

Pasco

Reaction score
That's awesome.  I've gone for coyotes in the desert but never cats in the mountains.  Did you call him in?  What habitat, pines? chaparrel? Early morning is best I suppose, right?  I also thought I saw your pics of fox pelts, are they from your area as well?  One last question, at what elevation do these guys live?  Sorry 'bout all the questions but this looks like a new avdenture for me.

songdog

Reaction score
You'd be surprised at how many cats there are out in the desert.  I was hunting with a friend out near Wister and we called in and killed two in a day, two different times.  They're not as nicely colored as the ones that I've seen in the mountains but they're definitely bigger.

I called this one in to about 20 yards.  All I could see was his face through the bushes.  He came in after about 8 minutes which seems to be pretty quick for a bobcat.

Terrain was a bunch of chaparral hills with a deep canyon with some pretty rocky areas and some water in the bottom.  I'd seen what I'm assuming was this bobcat about a month before the season opened.  Watched him for a while with the binocs and then came back during the season.  Seems like once I find one in an area they're not too hard to call in later.

This one was late in the afternoon.  I've never actually kept track but it seems that I've called more coyotes in the morning and bobcats in the late afternoon.  Any time after a big storm is really good too.

Some of those foxes came from the same area.  Pretty much anywhere you find a bobcat you're likely to find foxes too.  Both the foxes and the bobcats are much easier to call at night but I've never quite gotten into that as much as daytime calling.  Bobcats are at least easier to see at night with their eyes.  Try calling in the snow too.  They're easier to see then too.

Elevation was right about 3000 ft.

Hope this helps...

(Edited by songdog at 2:47 pm on Oct. 23, 2001)

Pasco

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.  Good info, thanks a lot.

andrew

Reaction score
Song dog, how much did that rifle cost? It seems like it would be perfect for predator hunting.

MNHNTR

Reaction score
I.ve never hunted bocats, is there a tag or stamp we have to buy?

songdog

Reaction score
Andrew,

The gun was actually pretty cheap.  A predator hunting buddy and I each got one for $279 a few years back.  He put a 3x Leupold on his and I kept the iron sights.  100 yards is really pushing it for me on a smaller critter with iron sights but then again when you're walking out to a stand and a bunch of quail jump up in front of you a scope can be a bummer.

They make the same gun in .223/12 ga as well if you'd like a little more horsepower.  For me, this is my "brush gun" for anything under about 50 yards of visibility.  Beyond that I go to a straight rifle with scope.  So for this the .22 Hornet works great.

MNHNTR - you need to get a book of tags from DF&G.  They're cheap.  Something like $8.50 or so for five.

gizz

Reaction score
Congrats on the harvest songdog. They are sure a nice lookin varmint. Here's one taken with a homebrew trailcam. I'd like to get a chance at him but here in PA you have to draw for a tag. Maybe next year!

coyotehunter 1

Reaction score
Song Dog, thats a pretty kitty you got there. Good shooting, you put the hammer to that one! I wish I could score a cat, I've tried for years but...
I like the combo gun you are using, good idea!
That's COOL :sunglasses-yellow:
ch 1

gone2hunt

Reaction score
songdog, your posts are great.  Do you use the same calls for both coyotes and bobcats?  Also what is the shooting hours for these critters.  thanks

songdog

Reaction score
Yes, I use the same calls for yotes, bobcat and foxes.  I wish I could tell the difference, then I'd use the bobcat call that much more.  

Seriously, I'll use a raspy call out in the desert where you get more jack rabbits and a more mellow cottontail call in the hills where you might find more foxes and bobcats but that's about it as far as a specific call per animal goes.

It seems to make a much bigger difference getting to a good spot where you have good visibility at the right time of day as quietly as humanly possible.  I still wear camo most of the time but I've still called coyotes into less than 10 yards with jeans and a t-shirt.  If you're sitting with a bush to your back and not skylined and hold still, you'd be amazed at how close they'll come.  I think that the benefit of camo is that when you do move (which is inevitable) you're a little harder for the critter to make out what that is over in the bushes.

I've called them in at 12am and 12pm but like most game the early morning hours and late afternoon hours seem to be best.  I've shot many more bobcats in the afternoon (3:1) than the morning though.  Coyotes are more even but leaning toward the morning.  Don't necessarily know why but I keep all these in a small log book and it's held true over almost a thousand stands.

If you really want a bobcat, try and find an area where you know there's one and then go back in the evening (assuming you can hunt in the dark in your state).  They're a lot easier to see with lights and a lot less cautious.  I don't know how many times I've had them sitting in a bush 60 yards out looking me over really carefully and all I've got is a shotgun.  At night they keep coming.

gone2hunt

Reaction score
thanks for the info.  I have a friend in acton(close to you) who's neighbor's chickens(9)  were eaten by a bobcat.  Also a coyote stole a chicken from the bobcat and tore it up on his front poarch.  So I am going to see if i could go help them out.  What is the legal voltage of light that can be used at night?  tanks

Latest Posts

Top Bottom