First Bow

l0nepine

Reaction score
I recently got my first bow, a PSE Nova twin cam 60lbs 28 inch draw. Its definitely not state of the art but I figured considering I spent under $200 for the entire set up (Cabelas clearance) I can go in for something a little more serious once I get the hang of things. I paid to have it tuned at a local shop (seeing as how I kept no secrets about where I bought it, I wasn't expecting too much), but when I brought it home it was off quite a bit even at 20yrds. I did a little research here and got the peep adjusted and the nock point where it should be, didn't touch the arrow rest.

I went back and was getting some close groups at 30yrds so I proceeded to adjust the sights accordingly. I got the sights adjusted and im right where I want to be, however the sight can not be adjusted any further to the right. Now im wondering if I should let this go and just be happy with it (if aint broke, dont fix it) or should I mess with the rest to see if that gets me a little more breathing room with the sight. The rest is a really basic two prong type.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Raully

Reaction score
Make sure your center shot is set up before you move your site and set up your peep. Then make sure your peep lines up with your sight. Close your eyes and come to full draw and make sure your anchoring at the same spot every time. Then open your eyes. Your eye, peep, and sight should all be inline. If not move peep. Good luck.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
goes211, i would bring it back to the PRO
SHOP you paid to have it tuned in the first place, and if you feel you dont want to do bussiness with them anymore find a pro shop that really cares about your needs as an archer and bowhunter, because if you dont you never will enjoy your archery and bowhunting like you should, as an archer you need great support and expert advice and good technical expieriance in building and repiaring bows when it comes to choosing your pro shop. i have one pro
shop that is only 20 minutes away, but for some reason i just could,nt get the brotherly love i deserved as a customer and serious archer,(
maybe because i didn,t own a mathews) who knows, until i discoverd another pro shop 40 miles away and after my first trip down their i felt like i was part of their family and they have always treated me with respect and they have always helped me with anything i needed no matter if i owend a $150.00 bow or a $1500.00 bow, or either being great advice or expert tuning or just shooting the breeze! it is well worth the 80 mile round trip and $4.00 gallon for me without a seconed thought!

my point is RAY CHARLES could of tuned your bow in at 20 yards! GOOD LUCK my friend and have a great day! and find a pro shop that really cares about your needs and you will be more successfull as an archer or bowman
...............tra

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
PSE Nova a good starter bow I have one from the 80's and it still kills today. But when you switch to one of the big boys you will be amazed at the speed, feel and forgiveness.

Good luck!

I don't get some archery shops with their attitudes. If they do a good job word of mouth should keep them busy.

l0nepine

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, I checked the center shot and it turns out that this was the problem, got it adjusted and now the problem is taken care of. As far as going back to this archery shop goes, well Im sure I will for other stuff I just wont ask for any tuning tips. When it comes time to step up to a newer bow I will most likely be looking elsewhere.

Raully

Reaction score
Glad I can help a fellow Santa Barbaran. I miss the hunting up there already and I have only been here about 9 months.

l0nepine

Reaction score
Im new to hunting the area but im excited about all the opportunities around here, lots of land worth looking at.

dwagoner

Reaction score
GOES did they ever have you shoot the bow thru paper? i doubt it since you say you wont go back to them. I would look to see if theres any other people or shops there that could help you out a little. Setup and tuning a new bow is not that hard it just takes some time and a few things. Initial setup you pretty much start by getting the rest height where your arrow is in the middle of the berger hole (the hole where your rest mounts to) and get the nock point perpendicular to the string. Once you do this you can shoot thru paper and see how your arrow is flying out of the bow, making small adjustments in rest and nock point if needed.

Raully explained checking your peep nice, do it a few times to get your anchor correct then adjust peep acordingly.

There is a shop in Buellton right off the freeway, i used to live in Lompoc but im in the desert now. Ive never used that pro shop but it may be worth a try if you cant find anyone else there in SB, its not too far away and besides whats better than driving out of SB up 101?? lol

TLC Archery
655 Bobcat Springs Road
Buellton, CA 9349
Phone: 805/688-0280
Fax: 805/693-9349
E-mail: tlcglassart@aol.com

l0nepine

Reaction score
dwagoner,

Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely look into the shop in Buellton. After about 3 hours this weekend of making small adjustments here and there I got a clean hole on the piece of paper. I am feeling pretty confident in the set up now im just kind of bummed I paid to have something done that I had to completely redo. Seeing as how im the biggest variable in getting the arrow where I want it I have been practicing non-stop, my foam layer target is only about a week old and it is starting to look pretty shabby.

dwagoner

Reaction score
better to learn all this stuff yourself than rely on someone else to do it and not even know if its done how it should be. You can mount a rest and shoot a bow but getting one dialed in and fine tuned gets you that extra bit of performance that you paid for.

what kind of target you got? another thing is you can make your own out of carpet, cardboard, or foam if you can find some. take your material and squish it between some wood and band around it nice and tight. Bag targets are pretty cheap and easy to make, theres alot of places to get the outter shell and you can stuff with old clothes, paper bags, all kinds of free stuff.

l0nepine

Reaction score
I have a cabelas foam block target, its stopping the arrows still and the removal is a breeze. I will shoot it till I shoot through it. Are any good links on how to make your own target?

Raully

Reaction score
I hear the Shop in Simi Valley is pretty good and not to far away either. Stay away from the Jerk in Ojai. He has a bad attitude.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
Hey goes 211:

There is a good shop up north: Farm Supply in Arroyo Grande--has an archery department and a range upstairs. They are very helpful and friendly and know their stuff. They are Hoyt dealers, but not snooty about it. I took my Martin in for a Spott Hogg rest and initial tune up and they were more than helpful.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I am in Santa Barbara and drive 45mins south and East to Simi Valley to Archery Sports, Don takes care of me. Tell him Zeke sent you.

Another feller tuning your bow is like another person breaking in your boots for you, even it they tuned it perfect for them, you aren't them, and grip and such is as different tween people as feet are.

Take your time, dialing a bow in is a days process, not a day process. I have been hardcore into tuning and such for seven to ten years now, and it may take me two weeks to finally get my bow "dialed".

I personally rarely paper tune anymore because what that arrow is doing at six feet means little to what it is doing downrange, plus throw a broadhead on there and it changes, so I say get it close now and then move to the best way to dial in a bow, broadheads and walk back tuning.

Get that thing shooting decent fieldpoint groups and then shoot the mud out of it, and shoot some more. Keep inside 40 yards just because you need to focus on the release and your grip more than hitting anywhere on the target.

In a few months or so after the shooting muscles are there, then start dialing in the broadheads to where they group well out to as far as you can shoot, at that point I would start stretching the distance out as far as you can keep it on the target. Someone that only hunts from stands over trails ten yards away would do well to shoot out to 70 or more just to make those close shots feel closer.

Just enjoy it, the learning curve is incredibly quick the first six months to a year, then it slows, but you will never stop learning if you keep at it.

And welcome to the fraternity of the Nimrod.

Top Bottom