First Buck...Ohio Slug Season

empa68

Reaction score
I shot this guy at 50 yards using my Mossburg 500 slugger equipped with a red dot scope. I'm amazed how accurate the gun is out to 100 yards. This is my third season out for deer and I'm hooked. Last season I took a doe. I though I had a great shot on him the way he reacted and went down. He jumped up and ran into the thicket. When I went to the spot I shot him I had very little hair and no blood. I though I missed, I looked where he went into the thicket still no blood. I looked twenty yards in and there he was. There was no blood trail. My shot was just where I aimed, it entered just behind the shoulder and it came out the other shoulder. There was more blood from his mouth than the wound. Has anyone seen this before?

I enjoy reading the forum here and looking at all the pictures posted. So I thought I'd share mine too!

Fubar

Reaction score
empa  Welcome to Jesses Forum. Congratulations on your buck. Thanx for sharing the pics. Is that a rifled barrel? What slugs are you shooting?             Fubar

jackrabbit

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this before?  If you're asking about the lack of blood on the entry and exit wounds and the fact that more blood came out the mouth, yes I have seen that many times.  The way you explained the entry wound behind the shoulder and out the other shoulder, that is a classic shot, and one I like to take most often, as it results in little loss of meat.  That shot takes out both lungs, and often the heart as well if it is a little low.  The lungs collapse and fill with blood which comes out the mouth.  The deer loses blood pressure quickly and no oxygen goes to the brain -- so he expires fairly quickly, even though he can cover some ground before he goes down for good.

Hook

Reaction score
Congratulatins on your first buck, No matter how many more you get in your lifetime, you will always remember the first one.... I do.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Congratulations empa68!!There is nothing wrong with that buck!!Taking out the lungs will cause cause lot's of blood to come from the mouth, just like stated above. Perfect shot in my book! I have also had occasion when I shot a buck, found no blood, and the deer was a short distance away! Way to go!

empa68

Reaction score
Thanks Guys! Fubar I have a rilfied barrel and use Federal Barnes Expanders. I've tried other brands at the range and these work the best. Thanks for the input on no blood thing. The first day of Bow Season this year I shot a 6 point throught the lungs. I had a ton of blood where I shot it and a good blood trail for 70 yards. At the end of 70 yards I had a foamy blood pile. I trailed it another 100 yards and lost the trail. I had 6 guys out there all day looking and I lost it. It made me sick and I really wanted that first bow buck. I think my mistake was only waiting 20 minutes to look for him. I had a good shot on him but didn't wait long enough. Next time I have a shot with the bow I'm waiting and hour before I look. I want to make sure I don't make these mistakes again.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
Re the bow shot deer:  The foamy blood pile at the end was probably very bright pink, the lungs were still working as blood filled them and got very oxygenated, but that surely was a lung shot.  You probably also severed major veins (dark blood) and/or arteries (slightly redder blood, but can come out in major squirts).  Just keep in mind the anatomy of mammals and channels for the exit flow, or lack of exit flow, from fatal wounds.  A chest cavity can hold an awful lot of blood if there is not a ready exit for it.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
That's a dandy first buck empa68. I've had a couple I've shot in the heart that didn't leave any blood and they dropped about 50 yards away. Sometmes you get a decent blood trail and sometimes it's little specks or noting at all.

gizz

Reaction score
Way to go empa68!
As the others said that's a classic lung shot. I went Elk hunting in CO this year for the first time and with one shot from the Rem 300 mag through both lungs was all he wrote. They don't usually go too far.
Congratulations!

jackrabbit

Reaction score
empa68, in the future, you mind find it a tough choice regarding shot placement when given enough time to choose it.  Just about every one of my lung shots resulted in the buck running about 25 yards before falling for good.  Well, in steep terrain, that can be a very long distance downhill!   In Colorada a few years ago, the morning after a good snowfall, my buddy nailed a buck just over the crest of the ridge.  He field dressed it and came back to camp to wait for the rest of us and my 4x4 with winch to get it up the hill and into camp.  Well, he hadn't anchored that buck to the side of the mountain very well, and it slid down the snow a couple hundred very steep yards.  We had a heck of a time getting that buck up high enough for my winch line/ropes to reach him.  So, that evening I had a buck in my sights just out of camp and on top of a hill.  Well, I was too tired to repeat the morning ordeal, so I purposely shot to take out both shoulders (300 Wby Mag) and anchored him on the spot -- lost good meat though.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom