First Dead Owl PF

jayber

Reaction score
I was wiring up some cameras last nite and after soldering and reassembly I would check the push-button operation to make sure it would fire and not stick.  Well, I came across one that wouldn't fire.  I first tried shorting the wires together, but nothing.  Then to make sure it wasn't the fact that I didn't have film in, I loaded a test roll.....still nothing.  I desoldered the thing, tried switching out keypads......no go.  I couldn't get the flash/no flash or mid-roll rewind buttons to work either.  Anybody else have this happen?  I'm gonna return it unless someone has something else I should try (?).  Figures it was the one I didn't check before tearing into!

MBullism

Reaction score
Haven't got a dead one yet,and can't say I've tested them all prior to wiring.
Probably should start doing so.  

If it were me having the problem it would be because I didn't put batteries in, or forgot to turn it on!

M

Munce27520

Reaction score
Yes, Jayber I had one new OWL PF that did that to me. I didn't test it before I started and I went through the same steps as you trying to get it to flash and cycle. The display on mine just kept flashing the digit one and I couldn't even get a Flash Icon to display. I am testing now before opening them up. Fortunatly I was able to exchange it for a new one.:sunglasses-yellow:    But then I melted the new one as I attempted to solder my wires into it. :mad-fumin-red:  I will have to be MUCH MORE CAREFUL. That's too much money to waste.:flamethwr:

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi all,
I tend to get a bit obsessive on the subject of static electric discharge - so if you've heard me yap about this before, just ignore it :)

Most modern electronics can be killed by static discharge.  To discharge static buildup, just touch a grounded object - plumbing, metal outlet cover, etc. occasionally while working on the cams.
Not sayin' that's what killed the cams - but 'ya never know.  It's cheap insurance!

Archilochus

Tinhorn

Reaction score
It could be static that killed it, especially if you have gas heat, gas heat drys the air which make static electricity worse.  Sometimes, besides grounding a finger on the strip outlet, I wet my fingers in a bowl of water as well, b-4 working on static sensitive components.

I used to own a TV repair shop and it was a constant concern, esp in the winter.

If you have Static Electricity problems, you can buy wrist straps, etc that are grounded to keep static electricity bled off but I found in the TV shop that if I bought Ankle Bracelets with Ball and chains (like what Chain Gangs use at prisons) it drains off the static just as well and "increases productivity".......  he he

Tinhorn

Top Bottom