first deer in texas

colby18

Reaction score
well, greeting from texas.  I got my gun on and off the plane with no trouble at all.  My first time out to the ranch was a successful hunt.  It wasn't the biggest deer in the world but it was my first and I'll take it.  The deer was only a small spike but I had buck fever bad and I was going to shoot anything that moved.  I was the only person to get something opening morning.  Everyone gave me a hard time but hey, I was the only one that came back with any meat.  Next evening we go back out to the ranch and I'm in the same stand.  After about an hour in the stand I see two doe from across the pond.  She just stuck her head out and then went behind a hill, didn't have time to shoot.  I almost was going to try and stock her but then I decided not to be stupid.  waited about five minutes and I could see three deer through an opening between two hills.  Couldn't get a clear shot or tell what they were.  That doe popped her head out again and I waited no more than five seconds and dropped her on the spot.  Walked over to her and a buck and doe jumped up from behind the same hill I fired once but missed.  I knew that when I saw the three deer from behind the hill that one was probably a buck but I had already used my buck tag so I didn't even want to see what I was going to have to pass on.  Turns out I'm not only got my first two deer but I was the only one to shoot anything the whole week.  What a week, also went striper fishing, caugh 23 between 5 of us I believe, the biggest went close to 10 pounds.  Well hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving and god bless,
colby

Richard

Reaction score
Well great.  What ranch in Texas did you hunt?  I have realtives that live there but in the city.

Fubar

Reaction score
colby  Congratulations! Sounds like you have some meat in the freezer. Thanx for the story also.          Fubar

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Way to go Colby! Get some pics so we can see your first Tejas deer.

Hook

Reaction score
Sounds like you had a great Texas adventure, Congrats on the deer.

Top Bottom