First duck call please help with some advice

jhill528

Reaction score
So my Birthday is coming up and my wife keeps asking what I want. Having just located a new place to go duck hunting less than five miles from my house and a very generous offer from another JH member to help get me started with my decoys, it looks like I'll be doing a lot more duck hunting. Locally there are quite a few mallards, teals and gadwell. I have never used a duck call before so I need some advice to find a couple key calls that are user friendly and should be in any duck hunters bag? Please help, any and all advice will be greatly appreciatted. Thanks.

Johnathon

Duck Fan

Reaction score
RE: duck calling. My first comment would be to master the whistle. Get a Wingsetter 8 in 1 call – whistle, or maybe even better – go with a something like a Primos high roller flutter whistle. The roller ball style does the pintail for you easier…since you have to flutter your tongue to get the pintail call right on the others. The roller ball style call does that ‘flutter’ for you.

That one call is used for drake mallard, teal, widgeon, and pintail…plus others. It is easy to master and simple to use.

They come with instructions and just follow them and you are good.

As far as mallard calling….That does take time. You can go online and view video of guys that can help you on the call, but it will take a lot of time and patience. It is good to start with the single hen quack. If you get that, then step up to a few quacks strung together. But, if you are not confident with it, don’t use it. Practice, practice, practice on the mallard call.

Do a search on videos for mallard duck calling by RNT calls - probably has several out there.

matt392

Reaction score
Many years ago I took my mallard call with me everywhere in the car. I had a tape cassette of duck calling instructions and listened to that then practiced. I would also head down to my local duck park/pond so I could listen to the sounds the ducks were making. Even though they are park ducks they make the same noises. Mostly I just practiced my head off while listening to a good tape. As for the call itself don't spend a ton of money yet. Find a decent call in the $20-30 range and learn how to blow it. Haydel's and Primos have a few different mallard calls in that price range. Most likely you will go through duck calls like golfers go through putters...until you find one you love. I have had $200 acrylic calls that I hated and $20 calls I loved. I also agree with the above advice on getting decent with the whistle. I use a wingsetter but the roller calls are fine as well. Have fun and good luck.

bux-n-dux

Reaction score
Put out some decoys and don't call at all. If the area is not pressured, this may be your best action.

bux-n-dux

sjw

Reaction score
Agree with everything above. I would start out with a double reed call, they're no quite as loud as a single reed, but you can control them a little easier. DR-85 $20, Echo timberwood double reed $50 (easy to control on both the high and low ends). Best of luck!
Steve

Latest Posts

Top Bottom