• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

First fly Fishing trip help plz!

mike1781

I know how much people hate it when general questions get posted like this, so sorry in advance. I just picked up my first fly fishing outfit (Redington Topo 5wt) it came with with a few flies, and ready to fish. Were planning a trip to Courtright Reservoir May 1st. Just hoping someone could give me an idea of what flies are a must have or would be good to take. Im hoping it will be stocked with trout. Im new to freshwater and flyfishing, so any advice or tackle that I must have or definitely will need please list. It will be the first time that me and my old man have done a trip like this in 10 years, catching fish will just be a bonus.

Thank You,
Mike

FoCoHugh

JHO Team Member
When I'm fishing lakes I have a few weighted wooley buggers, and some weighted damsel fly nymphs. If you have the number, call the marina there and ask. Also, call fly shops in that area.

Skyler

Shore fishing a lake? Watch your back cast...
And i second the wooly bugger. As well as the muddler minnow and San Juan worm.

solus

Ide trust skyler he knows what hes doing. From what i read trout like like the brighter colors

quaildeath

Bead headed prince nymphs. Terrestrials also, like cinnamon or black ants. Lastly, mosquito patterns in tiny sizes work everywhere. Sizes 18 down to 22.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Mike I have had real good luck with different species of fish on these colorful poppers. I get a lot of action with these.....tra

Fishgunner

Practice casting at a park ahead of time. You can use a variety of different poppers and flies. As far as matching the hatch by May most flying insects and caddis flies will be past their nymph cycle. I would try colored poppers in the lake and stick to more natural toned mosquito/ caddis dry flies in the surrounding rivers. I have fly fished the Big Pine loop lakes not far from there. We were catching cutthroat and browns all day, you're heading to prime trout country. Fish the deep pockets in the surrounding rivers and streams is the best advice I can give... bring a spinning rod and some fox-tails too in case the fly rod gets too frustrating.

Last edited:

mike1781

Fishgunner thanks! Oh and most definitely I'm bringing the spinning rod too lol Im using a 5wt outfit, any idea on what size flies?

Last edited:

Fishgunner

I've used them all... depends on the size of the fish and the conditions. No smaller than 28... use the old fashioned "eye-bawl-it" technique and just guess and try a few sizes till you find one that works. Like quaildeath said 18-22 is a good ball park.

Last edited:

mike1781

Awesome thanks everyone! Like I mentioned earlier the real catch is being able to spend time with my old man, catching fish will just be a bonus!

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Lol I hear ya Mike. Hooking fish is fun no matter what pole u use. Those are beauties, rainbow trout is my favorite fish to fish for and they taste so good! Congrats on your fishing adventure trip and awesome photos........tra

FoCoHugh

JHO Team Member
In the Eastern Sierras, try the June Lake Loop. Well stocked and lots of open water. That place likes hoppers, elk hair caddis flies, and prince nymphs.

Bubblehide

I know how much people hate it when general questions get posted like this, so sorry in advance. ...
Thank You,
Mike
Hey, you obviously need to give us more credit; after all, this is generally a nice bunch of guys, and gals here.
The only thing I have to add is that if the bite is slow, try some upper elevation water.

Top Bottom