First Guided Pig Hunt

NatureDriven

Reaction score
As many of you know, I've been hunting the Tejon with out a guide for about the past 6 years with a great deal of success. Well, recently one of the owners of the company I work for invited me on a guided boar hunt with a group of 12. Having never been on any type of guided hunt, I thought it would be a great opportunity for me to see how a "professional" hunts pigs. My boss and I, Frank, got to the Paso Robles Inn early in the afternoon on Friday. The first hunt was scheduled to begin at 5pm. Half of my group decided to go out that night, including Frank and I, and the other half chose to hang out and start drinking. A son of the professional guide took Frank and a partner of the guide, Jim, took me out.

As Jim and I are driving along a ridge, we spotted a boar sleeping under a tree on the other side of the valley at eye level, about 300 yds out.

Getting out of the truck, Jim asked if I felt comfortable with that long of a shot. I told him the longest shot I’d ever attempted was 190 yds and that shot hit the pig behind the ear and dropped it in its tracks. Shooting a .300WSM he said he felt comfortable with me taking the shot. (Had I been doing this hunt on my own I would have crossed the valley and closed the gap as mush as possible since that's part of the fun for me). I set up my shooting sticks and settled into position. As I was looking at the pig through my scope, I could only see the top half of him as he lay in his bed. I couldn't help it, but I wasn't feeling very comfortable about taking the shot, not only because of the amount of pig showing, but more because I felt as though I was about to shoot a duck sitting on water; something I was taught never to do.

Moments ticked by, my breathing was under control, and my crosshairs lay steady on the pigs back. The guide told me to take the shot when I was ready. But I wasn’t, in my head I kept wishing the pig would wake up and at least stand or start moving. With that, the pig stood up with his ass end staring me in the face. Slowly he turn, quartering away from me. My heart immediately began pumping hard again as the pig was big, much larger than we had initially thought. Placing my crosshairs on his belly, right behind his rib cage, I slowly squeezed one off. Immediately the guide was saying, “Good hit, Good hit. You hit him hard." We watched the boar take off down the hillside and into the brush in the valley below us. Looking intently, we didn’t see him come out the bottom of the valley and decided he must be in the tree’s holding up: With that, we went off after him.

Searching for over a half hour, we couldn’t find anything. I climbed up to where his bed was and couldn’t locate any blood anywhere. My heart was sinking. I thought for sure I underestimated the angle in which he was standing. I began to think I had just gut shot a big pig and he had run off and would die without us finding him. Just then, I could hear the guide yelling that he had found a blood trail. As I hiked to his location I began to smell the thick and deliciously sweet smell of a boar. At that moment, I nearly stepped on my pig. Feet in the air, dead as a door nail, there he lay in a thick patch of bushes dead.

Needless to say I was as happy as ever that we located him and he looked beautiful! Looking him over, he had an ugliness only a hunter could love, and as an added bonus, a great set of tusks!! As a side note, the shot looks low, but with his belly hangin' it was placed perfectly, the new non-lead Winchester E-tip traveled right through all the vitals, didn't touch any of the meat.

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
sounds like it was a "good" thing you had a guide with you as he found your pig for you, congrats!
on with the pics
if that is the son i am thinkin you hunted with ,that kid has been hunting
with his old man since he was born!!give the father and son team a shout out bro,im pretty sure they deserve it!!

hunt hard

Reaction score
Nice story and Nice hog
good set of tusks on him. so how did evryone else do.

jaehunt

Reaction score
Nice pig and pictures bro. I am glad you got yours on the first day.

By the way, that is the weirdest avatar picture thingy I have seen so far, where did you find that one?

Love you brother,

Jason

SJ Hoghunter

Reaction score
NatureD

nice shot at 300 yds...looks like some tough terrain. Who were hunting with (guide service)? Thanks for sharing.

SJ

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
Great story and pics. An old nasty boar that is for sure. Looks pretty scared up from fighting, and bet he smelled rrreeeaaaalll nice!

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
congrats on your wild boar and successful guide hunt! good story and photos!......tra

upchuck

Reaction score
Nice shootin!
I went hunting a couple of weeks ago at camp roberts with no guides and did not see any thing but i`m not giving up yet!
If you could you please tell me who you`re guide was, thanks!

daddy63

Reaction score
Sounds like a good hunt for sure... How did the rest of the party do???

NatureDriven

Reaction score
The guide my host paid to use was Tom Willoughby and sons. (a cost of around $8,000 for the weekend)

Frank ended up missing his shot at about 200 yds. on Friday. I knew this was going to happen considering he never sighted in his new Thompson Center I-Con .308 properly when we went to the range two weeks before the hunt. (My father has the same gun which shoots 3 shots in a 1 inch group @ 100 yds., an absolutely incredible rifle.) Tom, his sons, and Jim actually gave Frank and the guy paying for everything a hell of a time for missing on Friday and instead of working with them and building up a positive mental state, ended up pawning them off on another guide some 45 minutes north of where we were staying on Saturday night. I gave my gun to Frank for that hunt and he ended up killing a nice boar that evening.

Our group as a whole had an 83% success rate.

Overall I had a great time with my guide Jim. He was very professional, calm, positive, and enjoyable to shoot the sh#t with.

My avatar is a painting done by my wife and I's favorite artist, Mark Ryden. http://www.markryden.com/ He's a local artist out of Seirra Madre.

NatureDriven

Reaction score
Tom was not the guide "45 minutes" north. The man paying for our hunt has been taking this group hunting with Tom for 10 years. Tom pawned off this guy and Frank to the other guide 45 minutes north. The most important thing is both of them killed pigs Saturday night with this other guy.

easymoney

Reaction score
Nice pig and great story.
There is certainly no shortage of porkage here on the central coast and as pointed out in the story the guides did a very good job...

Bwana Turtle

Reaction score
I guess I misread. That sounds like pretty strange behavior. ??? Looks like someone killed the golden goose fo' sho'.
Congrats on all the pigs you got.

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NatureDriven @ Jun 3 2008, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The guide my host paid to use was Tom Willoughby and sons. (a cost of around $8,000 for the weekend)

Our group as a whole had an 83% success rate.[/b]
I am a little confused here, $8,000 for a guided pig hunt? How big was this group? Your host? Were you in Vegas and decided that in order to change your luck at the craps table you would fly out and do a little hunting? I am sorry if this sounds rude, that is not the intension. I am mearly looking for a little clarity to something that has me a little confused.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom