First Hog Hunt April 11,12,13 2008 Tejon

rdrrm8e

Reaction score
Well we finally pulled the trigger and decided not to drive all the way to Hunter Liggett. Group concensus was to get a hunt in at Tejon.

Lots of bird and deer experience among the 3 of us...but none have ever hunted hogs.

We are going non-guided and will either camp or commute each morning as 1 of the group lives near Tejon. We will tow a jeep in with us and use that on the ranch.

We plan to get as high as we can in the dark and glass the meadow edges and tree lines at grey light.

Will be scouting for tracks and scat and vertical trails friday and middays'

Good Plan? Bad Plan?

Any tips for us noobs?

I have been searching for a video on field dressing hogs w/o luck.

One Track

Reaction score
RD: Sounds like you know exactly what your doing. After setting up camp on Friday mid-day, get out and drive all over the ranch and get to know the road system. An hour before dark, you will want to be set up to hunt. It's nice to locate key glassing spots in the light of day so you know where to be on Saturday morning. Gutting a hog is just like gutting a deer. Have a blast.

rdrrm8e

Reaction score
Now here's probably a very stupid question........

I have a bolt action 25-06 custom, and a .270 Ruger bolt...both scoped .....both dialed in.....that I know I oughtta use.

But I also have an m1a that has a 10x42 scope and bipod. Heavily customized. I use it for Long Range target. It's a .308. In reasonable conditions I can hit whatever I am aiming at comfortably at 300 yds.

Are there any written or unwritten rules against using this rifle on hogs? Seriously......

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
If you guys are looking to go on your first Hog Hunt, might be a good idea to try it with a guide. They can teach you the "ins and outs" until you get your feet wet on these guys. Hunting hogs is a lot different that deer. You guys might want to try RNJ Wild Hog Hunts in Coalinga. The guides have owned the 14,000 acre ranch for over 100 years. Randy and Jay can teach you more about hogs in a weekend than you are likely to learn in a year of trial and error on your own. And you can hunt their ranch for similar pricing to Tejon's non guided hunts. And they have a furnished cabin for you to stay in while on the hunt. Look them up, you won't be sorry.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
But I also have an m1a that has a 10x42 scope and bipod. Heavily customized. I use it for Long Range target. It's a .308. In reasonable conditions I can hit whatever I am aiming at comfortably at 300 yds.

Are there any written or unwritten rules against using this rifle on hogs? Seriously......[/b]
The only problem with that M1A is the weight. Long range target rifles are usually a little on the heavy side (don't know the configuration of yours). If so, you may not want to tote it into the canyons at Tejon.

I usually carry a couple of rifles when I go, though. I spend a day hunting with my grandfather's old .308 BAR, just for sentimental reasons. If that doesn't pan out, I switch to my "go-to" rifle to get the business done. Nothing at all wrong with that approach.

By the way, whatever you use, remember you have to shoot non-lead ammo. Not sure what kind of ammo you use for Long-Range Target, but my experience so far with Barnes ammo is that it shoots to a very different point of impact than my lead ammo. Whatever you're gonna shoot, make sure you've sighted in at the range with non-lead before you come to hunt.

rdrrm8e

Reaction score
Roger that on the weight. I was actually going to edit that post but the software here does not allow.

Federal does make a .308 in TripleX. I have ordered a couple of boxes of Federal TX in .270 and will absolutely get to the range before we go.

Gotta get the fishing sticks out tonite though. Going to Catalina for white sea bass on Wed.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys!

BDB

Reaction score
As for your comment about not being able to find a video on dressing a hog, I wouldn't worrry about it. If you can gut a deer you can gut a hog. Same process but hogs have a thicker skin and stink more

rdrrm8e

Reaction score
As long as we don't nick the urethra or bladder I guess we will figure it out.

I hope we have such problems!

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
Also a hog tends to dull a knife faster than a deer, but the same process.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BDB @ Mar 24 2008, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As for your comment about not being able to find a video on dressing a hog, I wouldn't worrry about it. If you can gut a deer you can gut a hog. Same process but hogs have a thicker skin and stink more
[/b]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Also a hog tends to dull a knife faster than a deer, but the same process.[/b]
Try to remember to cut from the inside out. Your edge will last longer and the cuts will be cleaner and faster. Cutting down through hog hair (or deer hair either, for that matter) is tough on a knife and makes a big mess.

greyghost10

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with using the most accurate rifle you have even if it is a bit on the heavy side. My 270 is a tank. Super accurate and I never mind lugging it up or down a hill or a mountain because I know I will not miss with it. It has never failed me. Although it was kind of funny that when I finally did have a shot at a hog it was only 40 yards or so away.

radioleo

Reaction score
Just remember NO LEAD at Fort Tejon in 2008 try the Federal TSX shells.

I will be on a turkey hunt in April 2008 and have non lead shells.

radioleo

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Well are you guys ready?

Everyone zero in the non-lead ammo?

Anyone excited?

I will be on the southside trying to get my buddy a pig with his bow.

aaron r

Reaction score
I will be on the north side. Having a hard time not leaving right now. Zeroed in non-lead ammo and to my suprise it was not that far off.

hifi55

Reaction score
Check!

All ready, packed, rifle zeroed in with the only ammo its ever shot (Fed MRX), broadheads sharpened and bow shooting great

North side for the WPM hunt here. Sounds like we have quite a few JHO'ers coming for this one. Weather is looking great, the moon is small and with any luck the pigs'll be out.

Good luck and look forward to meeting ya'll that are coming! I'm the guy grinning ear to ear in the silver dodge megacab. Can't wait!

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Whack 'em and stack 'em, boys! Should be a great hunt down there. The weather and conditions are good, and I imagine the roads are pretty much open... much better for the North Side than last time I was there.

It's got my mouth watering for the May hunt!

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Here's one from last summer! 10 yard shot 270 wbm 145lbs sow. Bob said she was good on the BBQ !!!

Good luck guys and don't forget to go deep into the thick stuff if you don't see any pigs on top.

And don't drag the pig out of the hell holes, just butcher them on the spot! "Hack and Haul"

Attachments

Huntr Pat

Reaction score
Take pic's of canyons and deep ravines so you can go back and review your hunt for future planings but also to share with us that has honey do's this weekend and cannot make it out. DARN honey do's!!!lol

Top Bottom