First meat pig!..I'm hooked

uplandj

Reaction score
I booked a guided hunt with Tom Willoughby
from King City , he delivered and I shot this striped sow. Spent all morning hunting, but only saw one, and that one disappeared. There's grass to eat everywhere and by sunrise they're gone. The hogs came out in the late afternoon, and I got this one about an hour later. Fell over dead, with 165 Barnes Triple Shock .30-06. It's at the butcher now, weighing in at 72lbs. I'm hooked on hog hunting! Now it's time for a trophy boar!

Attachments

Flatbroke

Reaction score
Congratulations on your hog . where did you take it to get processed and what did you have them make?

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Congrats! Nothing quite as sweet as that first one.

Of course, all those that follow are still pretty danged sweet.

Nice shot. I've yet to shoot an "oreo" pig, so you're one up on me there.

uplandj

Reaction score
We left the ranch at about 8pm last night, so the butchers were closed. It was dressed out and on ice in the game bag. So we drove back to LA (arrived home at 1:30 am). Kept it cool in the garage with some more ice. I took it to Harmony Farms in La Crescenta today. I've bought game meats from them in the past: elk, boar, duck, rabbit, pheasant, they've got it all. They charge $1 a pound, $95 min. for processing: chops, steaks, ribs, ground, etc. I'm going to try and make some homemade sausage. Any tips? Recipes? Oreo sausage!

Bulleye

Reaction score
Congrats on the pig. Looks like it will be tasty.

LKN4HOG

Reaction score
Nice hog, that baby looks like just the right size. It's gonna taste great....

Welcome to the hog hunting bunch.....addicting huh?

R

hunt hard

Reaction score
Nice looking hog .what does he charge for a hunt and is there a trophy fee thanks

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
supper congrats on your firt boar! nice hog for some good eatings! thanks for sharing.............tra

AZ Jim

Reaction score
Congrats !

Nice hog. Love the stripe.

AZ Jim

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
tom is a pig hunting machine,you can do no wrong when you book with him,YOU WILL KILL A PIG!
congrats on the neopolitan
last i spoke with him he is either 550 or 575, 2 day hunt,
sit back and enjoy the ride,watch and learn,his #831-385-3003.oh ya,bring a camera and start
taking pictures immediately,those dudes make short work of your hog once it hits the ground!!

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
Great job on your first pig. That is the perfect size meat hog. While those big boars look nice in pictures, yours looks better on the dinner plate!

daddy63

Reaction score
I've hunted with Tom a few times and have always been successful.I know his hunts are 2 days but I wonder when the last time he actually needed 2 days to get a hog???

One Track

Reaction score
Welcome to the club. It's intoxicating to say the least. Congrats on your first hog.

NatureDriven

Reaction score
Awesome job! Congratulations on you successful hunt. I'm heading out with Tom, his sons, and a group of about 10 of us the last weekend in May. It's a hunt that my boss is invited to each year, and luckily, I've been invited. I can't wait to go!

You asked about making sausage. . . any good grinding machine will work fine. I use my Kitchen Aid mixer with the grinding attachment with the sausage link attachment. Bass Pro Shops sells the intestins for the links along with different flavor packets. I've used the hot italian and sweet italian and they are very good!! One thing you might want to look for is apple flavoring. This is by far one of the best flavors you can make pig sausage into. It is excellent on pizza and for breakfast. I keep this flavor as fresh sausage, I do not link it.

Again congratulations!

daddy63

Reaction score
Congrats uplandj... the first of many I'm sure...

Look forward to your report back on the hunt with Tom... 10 guys is a big party but if anyone's going to pull it off, Tom is one of the few who could. Good luck naturedriven

Top Bottom