First morning

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 I had 2 gobblers within 50 yrds and could not see them,i just knew i was going to get one as they did close the gap to come to me,then they hung up.All went quiet so i did too,next time i heard them they where farther away and up hill so i got up and made a move in their direction.As i toped the hill i seen both fans,so i backed off and went around the lip of the ridge and come in above them,there was a pasture near by and the woods opened up into what looked like a park,green grass with no underbrush,as i snuck up a little bit i seen thier fans so i took a seat real quick like and got ready to call.As i made my first call they both gobbled and was so close i swear the ground shook,they where almost in range so i just sit there and purred and putted,they went nuts but didnt seem to move,i could see them only if i raised up a bit and then i would catch a glimpse of a fan.Now all this time im thinking they are in range right,and i seen some hens go to them and we are all in the open,so's i think to myself "Self,if you keep your gun shouldered and just raise up a bit,as soon as you see a head and neck he is yours"so me and self battles over the next move and he wins.
 As i raise up i notice that one of the gobblers is fanned out with its back to me,and Self says go for it,But i got busted thier was unknown to me about 20 turkeys there and the gobbler comes out of strut along with the other gobbler,and i didnt know witch one to shoot so i locked on to the one i thought i had a chance at,drew a bead and shot as they all scattered,Complete miss!!! OMG Self talked me into pushing a good thing and costed me a bird,i was so disgusted i came home.
 Next time i go out after birds im leaving Self at home,hes a lier,and has no remorse for what he talks me into.The worst thing is these where some really nice adult birds.
 I messed up and forced things instead of just being patient,i know that if i had just set there silent them birds would have eventually headed to that pasture,putting them Right on top of me and i would have checked in a bird today,i still dont know how i got so close without getting busted right away.

RSB

Reaction score
:handgrab::hittin-stick:
I agree!

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
Passthru where do you live - I'm on my way.  I can usually make it to St. Loius in 7-8 hrs.  If Self is a liar then you better have a long talk to him because you two are in heaven and might get thrown out.  If I ever saw 20 mature birds within in 50 yds. of me I think I would faint.  Then Self would get them while I lie flat on the ground.  Bet you didn't know there was a Self who lives in S. Ohio too did you?

I hunted my place yesterday and today with no luck.  Heard some gobbles out behind my barn yesterday and all was quiet today.  The three of us (Self, Frustration, and me) work good together.  The bad part is that the other two are smarter than me.

Good luck at your "honey hole".

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Missouri is suspose to have 600,000 birds and you'd think 1/600,000 of them would have roosted in teh woods I was in this morning but didnt hear a gobble...

While looking for mushrooms, I called on my slate call at 8:10 and 2 answered on down the creek.   I set up  real quick and called them in to about 200 yards when I cut on my diaphram,  they didn't like that and split......man oh man......

no mushrooms and never heard another turkey

Tinhorn

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Good story Passthru. I thought I was the only one who talked to myself when hunting. Patience I think, is the hardest thing to learn and have while hunting, especially turkey hunting. Bird goes quiet for 40 minutes and we're wondering what went wrong and whether to move.

Dad had to cover a guy at work so he missed the opener. He's been seeing several gobblers that roost on our farm so hopefully they'll still be breathing Saturday morning so we can let the air out of one or two of them.

He hasn't found any mushrooms yet he said.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 As it seems to me right now here in Missouri,you either get them off the roost early,Mostly though they are henned up until about 10:00 AM after that they seem to start gobbleing agian.
 Ive had to work so i havent been back out,but friday i get to go agian and have 4 days of hunting without interuptions.
 Bald eagle you are right,the area i live in is really good,But up north of here they say is alot better.
 I forgot to mention that the very first calls i made had a coyote standing in front of me in less than 30 seconds,season is closed right now,and i think the coyotes are really hounding the turkeys on the property i hunt,the day after the spring season coyote season opens and im going to go thin them out a bit,that was two weekends in a row i have had coyotes on top of me,and 3 coyotes total.
 And hopefully this weekend ill get one of those gobblers,i know where they head to mid morning now,that is if i didnt change thier pattern by interupting them,a guy can always hope.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom