FIRST PICTURE ACTION

WSHUNTER

Reaction score
I RECENTLY FINISHED MY FIRST CAM THANKS TO ANYONE WHO HELPED!  ANYWAY I JUST GOT BACK FROM DEVELOPING MY FIRST ROLE OF FILM AND GUESS WHAT WELL IT TOOK GREAT PICTURES BUT PICTURES OF NOTHING.  I AM NOT SURE WHY, I HAVE DONE PLENTY OF TESTING WITH THE CAMERA WITH NO FILM IN IT AND IT SEEMS TYO WORK JUST FINE.  I DONT KNOW WHY IT TOOK ALL THESE PICS.  I WILL EXPLAIN MY CAMERA IT IS THE BASIC SETUP LIKE ON JESSES WEB PAGES, IT HAS NO TIMER WITH A RADIOSHACK PIR 49-425 AND A CANON OWL PF I WIRED IT SO I CANNOT TAKE IT OUT AND USE IT SEPERATLY.  IF ANYONE CAN HELP OUT I WOULD APPRECIATE IT GREATLY. ONE MORE THING I AM NOT SURE THE DIFFERENCE OF HAVING THE SWITCH ON THE PIR ON CHIME, ALARM, OR OFF.  I NO IT DOES NOT WORK ON OFF, AND THE WAY I HAD IT SET IN THE WOODS WAS ON CHIME, I AM PRETTY SURE THE CAMERA DOES NOTHING WHEN IT IS SET TO ALARM(FROM PRIOR TESTING) I AM GOING TO GO TRY THE SETTTINGS AGAIN AND HOPEFULLY SOMEONE CAN HELP.         THANKS WSHUNTER!

bat

Reaction score
Lets see if we can help WSHUNTER, there are a lot of people in here that will probably do better but I will try to help a little.  First some questions:  Does it have the "Date" feature, if so are the picture all in a short time frame or stringed out over a period of time?  Do you have it turned away from the Sunrise or Sunset...in other words which direction did you have it pointed to pick up movement?  Are there a lot of pesky squirrels around in the area?  Could you load up a couple of your "nothing" pictures for us to see?  Was it very windy on the days you had a lot of pictures taken?  If you want to really test it out put some film in it and place a piece of tape or whatever over the area of the shutter to keep from taking any pictures you do not want to develop.  Place the camera out in a wide open area and let it set for awhile to see if it takes pictures of "nothing".
 The "chime and alarm modes", both will work...do a search for RS PIR, there is a lot of informations located in this area that should explain the difference for you...chime should detect and hold the signal for about 5 seconds, Alarm should detect and hold the signal for about 30 seconds.   Hope this helps you some.  If I'm wrong someone correct me thanks!

MBullism

Reaction score
Bat covered all the possibles I know of...  I think it was tinhorn that posted recently that weak batteries can run film too...  Something about the relay drawing the battery down fast til it opened (reset) and started over.  This assumes something in front of the cam though

WSHUNTER, do have any of the fresnal lense blocked, is it narrowed down? or do you still have the full 60 degrees?

WSHUNTER

Reaction score
in reply to the questions about my camera: yes i do have the date feature and they were  spanned out over time.  my camera was facing generally to the south for the two days i had it out.  I wouldn't say it was very windy and there were no squirels in any of my pics.  about my frensal lense there should be nothing blocking it because i mounted the pir and housing outside the  box.  actually i cut a rectangle hole in the cover and stuck the housing out and caulked around it. ??????????  what is the best to have it set on chime or alarm.

thanks WSHUNTER!

bat

Reaction score
WSHUNTER, straight south may or may not give you some false triggers from the sun, but according to what I've read in here I mount mine mostly north...nw-ne usually does ok.  The way you mounted the PIR is ok, I have one of mine mounted the same way.  You can also mount the RS inside the enclosure...I can send you some pictures of that mounting if you want them.  The Chime and Alarm question is kind of a personal best with whoever you ask...my input Chime is best for a trail or for taking all the pictures you can, I would use Alarm only if I had a lot of deer coming to a feed area and wanted to limit the number of pictures I took in this situation.  Just my personal input!   P.S. I just remembered whenever I told you above to test the camera out in the open area....make sure it is pointed North and nothing is around to trigger it.  If something is false triggering the camera this should let you know that part then you can work on that problem.  If no false triggers.....hey all the better....go look at those pictures again..something is there that you maybe are overlooking.

(Edited by bat at 10:19 pm on Mar. 27, 2002)

MBullism

Reaction score
I've mounted mine the same way to date.  I then cover part of both sides of the lense to leave only the center three bars showing.  This narrows the sensors field of "vision", and I find helps center victims.  I was just wondering if something way off to the side was tripping the PIR...

Latest Posts

Top Bottom