First Pig, First Post

rsolo

Reaction score
I've been hanging around the forums for the last couple of months trying to soak up everything I could about Hog hunting. I went on my first pig hunt last weekend and took a 250+ lbs boar on the first night. All the hours of reading in the forum really helped. I wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributes here. You guys make a real difference.

Now for the story. My buddy knows a rancher in Tehama County with about 5000 acres. He offered to take us out pig hunting. On the way up, we flipped a coin to decide who gets first shot...he won. We got to the land and set up camp. We were out hunting about an hour later. The rancher took us to a few of his favorite spots, looking for a large boar that had been tearing up the fields near the ranch house. We searched for over two hours and were about the head back to camp when we spotted him.

It was close to the end of shooting hours and getting real dark. My buddy gets ready for the shot and I hear a light click...must have left the safety on. A few seconds later...%*!!@#, my gun's jammed, take the shot. I chambered a round and got in to position. Piggie was about 75 yards away when we first spotted him. By the time i lined him up, he was 150 and moving straight away. I could barely see him through the scope and he was only showing me the hams. Since he'd been seen in the area almost every day, i knew we'd see him again so i decided to let him go. Just at that moment, piggie turned broadside...boom!...Muzzle Flash fills my scope...piggie down.

We get up to him and piggie starts to belly crawl. The rancher's 25lbs border collie goes in to grab a piece (One hell of a dog). He'd just lost a dog two weeks earlier when jacka** hunter he was guiding shot him when he was trying to finish a pig. I knew it and wouldn't even shoulder my rifle until he called the dog out. With everyone out of the way, one more shot to the head...piggie dead.

We guess he was over 250lbs. Piggie weighed 125 skinned when we dropped him at the butcher. My buddy didn't get a pig, but he did get a good shot at a nice one with his back up gun the next night. More reason to go back.

Thumbnails, click for full size
Say Ahh

I'm 6' 220 for reference.

First kill with my new rifle, Tikka T3 Lite, 30-06, 165 gr Barnes TSX. entered a little high behind left shoulder and passed through near right shoulder

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Nice work, rsolo! Great first hog, and great choice to hold off on the Texas Heart Shot.

easymoney

Reaction score
Great job and welcome.
Just goes to show how much one can learn, even from a bunch like us, JHOs...

One Track

Reaction score
Welcome to Jesse's. Congrats on your first hog. It's addicting. That's for sure.

Duknutz

Reaction score
Welcome aboard! And great lookin cutters on that hog!Congrat's...

myfriendis410

Reaction score
Better save that head......

Now what do you do for an encore?

Good job, welcome to Jessie's and we look forward to more pig stories.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to JHO, rsolo. And Congratulations on a FINE hawg!

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Nice cutters!!!!
Great first HAWG!!!

Euro mount....where's Scott

HeavyHorns

Reaction score
Nice Hog rsolo! I am sure you are now hooked on chasing piggies.

jd1

Reaction score
Congrats on the nice hog.

Does the rancher offer guided hunts?

JD

rsolo

Reaction score
I think I was hooked before I finished pitching my tent. I can't wait to get out again.

The rancher isn't doing any guided hunts except for friends and old customers. He said the pig population is about 1/4 what it was a few years ago due to lack of rain. He's going to back off on them until they come back a little.

DRAKE11

Reaction score
Congrats on your first piggy. I am still looking for mine.

Huntr Pat

Reaction score
Great 1st boar. most people hunt a life time and don't get nothing like that. You must be hooked. Welcome to our world of hog hunting. Good JOB!!!!

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
Wow! Great job on your first hog rsolo. There seems to be a lot of those oreo hogs up that way.
Thanks for the story and great pics.

Top Bottom