First Post/Need HomeCam Help

BigPete

Reaction score
Built my 1st Game Cam based on plans off of this site (thanks).  Used Owl PF (no date), RS PIR, seperate SPST for power and DPDT for test light diode and camera mode.  Just finished and having problems.  The test light mode seems to work as it is supposed to, but when I switch the DPDT to camera mode, the camera immediately flashes then doesn't do anything - the light doesn't come on either.  This might be a clue(?)......I wasn't too careful soldering the silver band diode and reed relay coil to the #2 contact on the large PIR circuit board - I couldn't tell based on the picture on this site which contact the arrow was pointing at (which one is it?) - when I flip the board over, I noticed the first two contacts on that side have a common trace, so I didn't worry too much when my solder blob bridged the two of them together.  Might that be the problem or where should I start looking?  Thanks.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Welcome to the sight.  Just a few question about your setup.  Is your relay a Normally open relay.  IF you flip the test/camera switch with the power off does it still flash.  Can you operate the camera with the just the wires by shorting the two or three(depending on setup) camera wires together.  Check the relay out.  It should be a normaly open circuit when the PIR is not tripped.  You do have the diode soldered across the coil side of the relay and not the contact side, right.  Just a few to get us started.  You can be someone has seen this before or will figure it out.

swampfox

Reaction score
if you dont let the pir finish warming up before you switch to cam ,it will flash. next the led should not come on when in the camera mode,that way its not seen. your wires may be ok is the cam flashing upon picking up motion? it could be you dont have your fresnal lens the right distance  from the pir.

BigPete

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome.  I'll try and answer a few of the questions:
1.Yes, it is a N.O. relay i believe (I used the RS part numbers off the site).
2.The camera does not flash with the power switch off.
3. The camera is set up with 2 wires and yes, it does flash when the camera wires are shorted.
4.The diode is soldered across the coil side of the relay.
5. The PIR has been warmed up on the test mode switch -again, the test mode seems to work....takes about 30 seconds to warm it up (light is on), then light goes off and re-lights when there is motion in front of the lens - when I switch it to camera, it immediately flashes (like it's shorted), then nothing happens - even after several minutes of letting it sit regardless of how much motion in front of the lens.  The light not coming on in camera mode makes sense since the DPDT switch opens the test circuit when in camera mode.

Which contact is the #2 on the large IC on the PIR board?

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
If you have a volt/ohm meter check the downstream side of the relay and check to see if it is sticking closed. might not be it, but I've had several do it lately.

Butch

bat

Reaction score
BigPete, the #2 pin is the fourth soldering point on that side if looking at the bottom of the board, if you are looking at the top you will see C2 next to the #1 pin it will be the next pin on the large IC, the way you explained it sounds like you have gotten on the wrong pin and not on #2, it should not have a common with the pin next to it.  You might want to recheck this.  I don't think you need to have solder touching another pin at that point, you might want to unsolder the wire and use solder wick to get the two pins separated again.  Are you using phone connections or stereo plugs, some stereo plug give problems.  You might try this: with the power off and the camera on with the Dpdt switch in camera mode, short across the center relay wire to the single wire on the other end of the relay.  I think this will make the camera take a picture if everything is wired up correctly beyond that point.  Keep providing data someone will hit on the problem for you.  :batwings:

(Edited by bat at 9:45 pm on April 24, 2002)

BigPete

Reaction score
Thanks guys!!!   bat, you nailed it......I had the wrong pin in the big IC - like an idiot, I just glanced quick at the bottom.....the first pin in the string on pins that makes up the one side of the IC is actually the second pin of that big cap on the end (I thought it was the 1st pin of the IC).  Now corrected.  Tests perfectly.  Looks even better (I probably spent too much time on the box and camo just to impress friends when they see it).  Now it's time to put film in it and get it off into the woods!  Thanks again.

bat

Reaction score
Glad I could help BigPete, "bat has been there, done that, lol, but learned".  Congradulations on getting it going, now get us some pictures.  :batwings:

Top Bottom